Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

whats your favorite ethnic cuisines and whats the least liked ethnic cuisines?

3fingers

One Too Many
I enjoy most Italian food very much. Don't get to eat it much anymore, since all of my old German aunts have passed on, but I like German food too. Also like a fair amount of Mexican dishes. I don't care much for Asian food. I don't care if my food gets together on my plate, but I need to be able to identify what I am eating.:confused: I'm kind of odd I suppose, because I will not eat lettuce in any form. I absolutely despise it.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
LIKE:
Jewish deli food, the food of kings.
Polish food, the best six-dollar supper you'll ever eat.
Scottish food. But only if you leave the onions out of the haggis.
Quebecois food, because nobody would ever build a pretentious Quebecois restaurant.

DO NOT LIKE:
Sushi. No matter how you dress it up, it's still bait.
Indian food. I lived over an Indian restauant for five years, and I still haven't gotten the smell out of my curtains.
Contemporary California Cuisine. "A fool and her money are soon parted."

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I could live my whole life eating nothing but Italian food...

I'm afraid I would perish rather than partake in Icelandic cuisine....

2031351801_da08912cc8_z.jpg

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Tex-Mex.
Rice, casseroles, etc.
My wife has a taco addiction. I can admit that here since she's not a member. :D
We have them 2-3x a week. Chicken and beef, usually prepared in the pressure cooker, with the shells cooked in a Nuwave oven.
The newest aquisition (in my quest to find a really good hot sauce) is a bottle of Tapatio. Great on almost anything, not just Tex-Mex.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I've very rarely eaten a class of food I fail to like. I'll find something in any cuisine I'll eat.

The only thing I don't like is that foo-foo food that they serve as two bites on a dish. If something is good, I don't want two bites. I find it insulting to find a portion for a teacup dog served to me as a course. It's even worse to get a two bite portion with a bill for a party of 5 attached to it.

Canadian

One of the Regulars
My favorite restaurant in the known world is "Au Pied Du Cuchon" in Montreal. Quebecois food.

Closer to home, I like hot wings, Japanese and Indian food and I have a weakness for restaurants with good service. I care more about good service than the food. Even if the food is terrible and I am treated well, I'll come back.

green papaya

One Too Many
my favorites are mostly asian foods: Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, Thai

least favorites: any type of extra spicey or firey hot ethnic foods, it makes me lose my appetite if it's too spicey

Foxer55

A-List Customer
I'm not really into the ethnic food thing for the sake of 'ethnic.' I do however love meditteranean cuisine (Greek, Italian, etc) which has been deemed by the medical business as the healthiest diet. Following that, I favor the good ole American cuisine of steak and potatoes - with a fine salad.

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
Favorites:
-Chinese
-Italian
-Mexican

Don't really have any types of ethnic cuisine, but some of the Indian foods and other ethnic Asian foods sound rather...bad. And English and Irish food sounds generally bland.

Feraud

Bartender
I've very rarely eaten a class of food I fail to like. I'll find something in any cuisine I'll eat.

The only thing I don't like is that foo-foo food that they serve as two bites on a dish. If something is good, I don't want two bites. I find it insulting to find a portion for a teacup dog served to me as a course. It's even worse to get a two bite portion with a bill for a party of 5 attached to it.
This sounds a lot like my attitude towards food.
My only dislikes include anything bland. I cannot deal with bland and there is nothing a good dose of hot sauce won't improve! The spicier the better for me. My wife is constantly shocked (and horrified) at the amount of hot sauce I put on food.
When dining out I gravitate towards Thai, Indian, and Mexican. Sushi is excellent. A local Japanese restaurant has a shockingly satisfying nabeyaki udon.

I don't bother with bitesized foods that cost a week's pay. Also, food should never be "deconstructed" or reduced to a hipster science project served out of a truck.
Food trends tend to turn me off. I'll avoid a place if all the cool cats are currently fascinated with bagels and lox, or grilled cheese sandwiches. Call me ornery..

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Favourite: Eastern Mediterranean (especially Lebanese) - Although I am also rather partial to German food - Sauerbraten is possibly the greatest dish ever made.

Least Favourite: There are certain spices used by my local Malay/Singaporean restaurant that seem to give me headaches. For that, reason, they have to go into my dislke list.

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
I've pretty much tried everything from Andalucian quisine to a rather good Yemeni restaurant that used to be in Sheffield and everything in between from Dutch, German, French, Italian and Spanish( all in their respective countries) and all types of Chinese, Japanese, Asian/Indian only thing I didn't like was Galician octopus, other than that 'I''l eat owt'.......as for English and Irish food being bland well it's obviously not being prepared correctly?
Now Haggis is marvelous especially with Yorkshire pudding and onion gravy carrot sticks, green beans and mash spuds with turnips/sweet potato mash.
Oh and I used to love visiting a very good friends Jamaican aunt especially at tea time, sadly she's no longer with us and he never picked up the recipes though his daughter is apparently learning fast!

Last edited:
This sounds a lot like my attitude towards food.
My only dislikes include anything bland. I cannot deal with bland and there is nothing a good dose of hot sauce won't improve! The spicier the better for me. My wife is constantly shocked (and horrified) at the amount of hot sauce I put on food.
When dining out I gravitate towards Thai, Indian, and Mexican. Sushi is excellent. A local Japanese restaurant has a shockingly satisfying nabeyaki udon.

I don't bother with bitesized foods that cost a week's pay. Also, food should never be "deconstructed" or reduced to a hipster science project served out of a truck.
Food trends tend to turn me off. I'll avoid a place if all the cool cats are currently fascinated with bagels and lox, or grilled cheese sandwiches. Call me ornery..

Sounds like my opinion of food. Bland is just nasty. Life is too short to eat lousy food. :p

sal

One of the Regulars
I'll try anything once. I love Italian as well as Mexican, Asian.....it just keeps going on and on.
I believe there are two types of people in this world. Those that live to eat and those that eat to live. My wife is the latter and I am the former.

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
what I don't get is people who won't try different foods....I've got a mate who loathes "anything not English" though he does eat French and Italian and Chinese though the safe ones, nothing that crawls or that he doesn't like the look of, no fruit and meat in any combination inclding pork and apple sauce or turkey and cranberry or even bits of apple in a salad, it's funny as we often visit each other for meals and he does cook some decent scran Italian being his speciality( though my meatballs are better!) occassionaly I'll double six him by including something he says that he doesn't like and after he's eaten it telling him what was in the meal, don't get me wrong nothing bad or anything he's allergic to just things he says he doesn't like but that I know for fact he's never tried I once fed him crispy duck which he loved thinking it was pork! we still dine out on that one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy