Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

whats your favorite ethnic cuisines and whats the least liked ethnic cuisines?

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Haggis is great! If anyone is ever in Ottawa, try out the Highlander Pub on Rideau St. in the Market. Real haggis and it comes with a wee dram, neeps and tatties. Also, they have over 150 malts, and you can get "flights" of scotch to try out different varieties. I was allowed to sniff the open bottle of one they had, $180 an ounce!
And the staff all wear kilts, lads and lassies alike!

Haggis is great! If anyone is ever in Ottawa, try out the Highlander Pub on Rideau St. in the Market. Real haggis and it comes with a wee dram, neeps and tatties. Also, they have over 150 malts, and you can get "flights" of scotch to try out different varieties. I was allowed to sniff the open bottle of one they had, $180 an ounce!
Oh geez! I would love it. :p

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here

I'd be scared to go there, I might get into my third or fourth flight and decide the Haggis looked good.

A friend of mine spent some time in the Pacific, I don't remember where, but to quote: "You know those pictures where the natives are dancing and there's a bunch of monkeys on sticks hanging around the fire? Drink 14 or 15 beers and you'll eat them damn monkeys."

Later

Edward

Bartender
I don't think there's any one "ethnicity" or region of food I blanket dislike. Seafood is right out for me, though - anything that tastes like fish triggers my gag reflex uncontrollably. I can manage a bland cod, if battered, if I have to, but that's it. Any form of melon makes me retch involuntarily. I also have the gene to be able to taste cucumber, so needless to say I avoid that like the plague. I'll avoid some food (fois gras, for instance) for ethical reasons. Otherwise, I'm pretty open minded. I've had some great food in China, as well as some of the more bizarre stuff (donkey, duck hearts - which were very nice indeed; I passed on the ducks' feet though). I enjoye all the food I've had in India, both the Northern regions (familiar to me, I love it - and a lot of Bangladeshi stuff too), and Southern (less familiar, equally pleasant).

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Favorites: Tex-Mex, French, Greek, Chinese, Japanese. Is Southern food considered ethnic? If so, throw that in too.
Least favorite: Indian, most trendy "fusion" cuisines.

Never tried them, but I'll also take a pass on brain, squirrels, possum etc.

Fav's: Mexican, Thai, Vietnamese, Middle Eastern, Greek, EYEtalian, Spanish Tapas, Malaysian, various Chinese,
American; Real Hot Dogs in the natural casing like nathan's. Oysters and clams on the half shell.

Yecch! I can't name a cuisine - however any type of sushi with eel, bbq with super sweet sauces. Some fish. (Have gotten bones stuck in my throat twice with the fish.)

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Forthworthgal, Southern is a cuisine, but I'm biased. :D

My philosophy is if I can't identify it (without asking), I don't need to eat it.
BTW I'm a proud member of the finicky eaters of america, since 1970 something. ;)

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
LOVE Italian, which is probably because my grandfather was a full-blooded Italian. I particularly love my grandmother's homemade raviolis and bagna cauda, a hot dip made from garlic, anchovies, and butter. You dip veggies and anything else you want in it. Northern Italian dish that my great-grandparents brought with them.

Love my grandmother's ethnic German dish, butterball soup (actually a Germans-from-Russia dish)

Hate Indian food - way too spicy (and I'm not a fan of the non-spicy dishes, either). I like Mexican if it's not spicy and ditto with Chinese food.

Insp. Bumstead

New in Town
Love:
Vietnamese – emphasis on fresh herbs, grilled meats and pungent sauces
Mexican – unbeatable flavor combination of lime juice, onion, cilantro and fresh griddled corn tortillas
Chinese-American – greasy strip mall classics like BBQ pork lo mein and cabbage egg rolls
Taiwanese – fresh seafood, tropical fruit, beef noodle soup, what I grew up with
Polish – heavy, meaty, doughy perfection. Perfect for fattening up for the winter
Chicago Greek - diner classics like meatloaf and hash browns, along with Greek stuff like lemon chicken and Chicago favorites like Italian beef sandwiches

Hate:
Jewish Deli – never walk out of one of these places without feeling totally ripped off. $13 for a pile of grainy corned beef on dry bread, $4 for a sponge-o-grease potato pancake, no thanks
Japanese – the food is OK but I hate the pretension more than anything else

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Anything even mildly spicy makes me cringe. lol

I don't mind spicy, but onions are the Devil's Own Bulb. Anything with onions in it is like running a blowtorch over my digestive tract, so that rules out 99 percent of "ethnic" cuisine for me. Restaurant cooks are notoriously unhelpful when you ask for onion-free food, so the only places I usually eat out are lunchrooms and diners where I can actually see the food being prepared and can yell immediately across the counter if I see onions being added.

I don't mind spicy, but onions are the Devil's Own Bulb. Anything with onions in it is like running a blowtorch over my digestive tract, so that rules out 99 percent of "ethnic" cuisine for me. Restaurant cooks are notoriously unhelpful when you ask for onion-free food, so the only places I usually eat out are lunchrooms and diners where I can actually see the food being prepared and can yell immediately across the counter if I see onions being added.

I only get that kind of reaction from onion rings. Onion in dishes doesn't bother me---fortunately.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic