Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's your least favorite chore?

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Dog chores. I hate bathing them, clipping nails, and most especially, poop patrol. When we were dogless for awhile, the only downside I saw was when you dropped part of your sandwich, and had to pick it up.

vonwotan

Practically Family
I certainly don't have any favourites, but the one I have never mastered is ironing. Every time I move I search for ages to find an experienced professional maid (not cleaning/maid service, etc.) of the old school who will wash and hand press my shirts. This also greatly extends the life of my shirts so use this to rationalize the cost. Unfortunately, in my experience outside of Manhattan this is no longer a profession people are willing to take up. "Domestic staffing" services now charge an arm and a leg for uniformed, bonded, insured employees who have very narrowly defined and limited duties. Another clear sign I was born in the wrong era. ;)

plain old dave

A-List Customer
Well, I detest all housework. You do it, and it just needs to be done again. Never through with it, like when fixin' something. At least you can read when you're doing the laundry.

LadyStardust

Practically Family
I actually found this thread fairly amusing, because I don't mind most of these "chores" at all. With the exception of cleaning the cat box and cleaning the bathrooms, most times it's even therapeutic, in the sense that my mind is not on anything except cleaning, and I kind of tune everything else out. That said, the only things I really HATE are folding clothes and scrubbing the bath and toilet. :mad:

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I dislike almost all household chores, though doing the laundry and taking out the garbage are OK chores. It is especially important that someone vacuum and dust for me. I am allergic to house dust (or whatever particles and creatures are in it that trigger a reaction), and doing those housekeeping chores actually makes me ill.

I also do not like to cook, so I bring in food to eat, have TV dinners, or will cook something easy to do. I would not know how to make a casserole or bake a cake to save my life.

My solution to the housekeeping hatred is simple: for the past decade or so, I have found housekeepers to come in and do all the chores (except cooking). I'd rather pay money to someone than do it myself.

If I was a dowager empress I would have a housekeeper and a cook!

karol

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
...out in the backyard following the dog around with a plastic bag. I'm glad the yard is hidden by trees and hedges.

This time of the year I hate trying to get rid of ants in the kitchen. Finding just one gets my blood boiling.

I actually like vacuuming and wiping all the wood with lemon Pledge.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Quigley Brown said:
...out in the backyard following the dog around with a plastic bag. I'm glad the yard is hidden by trees and hedges.

This time of the year I hate trying to get rid of ants in the kitchen. Finding just one gets my blood boiling.

I actually like vacuuming and wiping all the wood with lemon Pledge.

Although I miss my dog Carmina so incredibly much (can't believe in a couple of days it will be an entire year since she passed:() I definitely don't miss following her around with a plastic bag!! When she was younger she used to be a bit timid and couldn't do the deed in public. So, she would wait until one of her trips to the park, and go off into the woods or behind a tree. So, I never had to pick up after her (so funny to think of her poking her head out from behind a tree to make sure nobody was watching her!!) But, as she got older she stopped caring, and towards the end she pooped everywhere and anywhere!! It definitely, at that point in time, was my leas favorite chore. Giving her a bath after she made a mess of herself, that too was my least favorite chore. Oh well, now that I look back on it, as much as I hated it then, I'd give anything to be able to follow her around with that bag again:(

Haversack

One Too Many
My wife and I have seperated the household chores through a process of evolution so that our skills, dislikes, and "not minds" are taken into account. For example, I take of the trash while she takes care of the compost. One of my "not mind" tasks is doing all the handwashing. This includes cutlery, china, and special glassware. One type of handwashing that I do dislike, (although I do it), is washing used ziplock bags and silicone bakeware, (Silpats, et. al.). There is something about handling rubbery materials that repells me. C'est la vie.

Haversack.

Novella

Practically Family
Laundry is my least favorite chore. I don't mind it so much when I live in a house with a washer and dryer, but I can't stand going to the laundromat. It's so time consuming and all sitting and waiting.

I also don't like washing other people's dishes. I don't mind washing dishes when I've just been eating a meal with people, helping to clean up. It's the dishes that get left behind from meals I wasn't around for. For some reason unidentified dirty dishes gross me out. I would much rather clean the bathroom. As long as I have rubber gloves I'm a fearless bathroom cleaner.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Tidying.
I will wash dishes, but WILL NOT put them away.
I will wash clothes, but will procrastinate putting them into drawers, closets, etc., for weeks on end.
I will put up with incredible inconvenience, disorder, even keep people from visiting my home, just to avoid dealing with clutter. It's the most frustrating, guilt-producing ritual I can imagine. It's like having to eat your own guts with a spork.
I sometimes get sick of living in clutter - until I try to visualize starting in on it.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:
1. Dusting. Especially since my shelves have so many knicknacks on them.

2. Ironing.

I actually like to wash dishes in the sink, especially on cold winter nights. Keeps them fingers nice n' toasty ...

1. Get some canned air and spray the dust onto the floor. Vacuum or sweep.
2. Try a steamer. It doesn't crush the fibers of the clothes.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
scotrace said:
Dog chores. I hate bathing them, clipping nails, and most especially, poop patrol. When we were dogless for awhile, the only downside I saw was when you dropped part of your sandwich, and had to pick it up.

Call Poop van Scoop. They pick up where your dog leaves off. They're #1 in the #2 business.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Quigley Brown said:
...This time of the year I hate trying to get rid of ants in the kitchen. Finding just one gets my blood boiling.

Have you tried sprinkling a generous layer of cayenne pepper around your doors?

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Fletch said:
I sometimes get sick of living in clutter - until I try to visualize starting in on it.

I usually have a box in the living room that I put things in when I don't think I'll need them. When the box gets full, I take it to Goodwill. I've never missed any of the stuff.

In fact, a few years ago I cleaned out a closet and had my whole living room full of boxes that I gave to Goodwill. I don't even remember what was in those boxes.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Paisley said:
I usually have a box in the living room that I put things in when I don't think I'll need them. When the box gets full, I take it to Goodwill. I've never missed any of the stuff.

In fact, a few years ago I cleaned out a closet and had my whole living room full of boxes that I gave to Goodwill. I don't even remember what was in those boxes.

And I just have boxes of stuff....nevermind the giving them away part...

Everything looks better in boxes...stacks of boxes look better then stacks of stuff....you see?

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Miss Neecerie said:
Ok...you just made my snarf my Diet Mt. Dew.....my nasal passages will never recover.

ooooh it burns

Hehe. That's from an actual newspaper ad that's been running in Denver for years.

Take 5 oz. of very warm water, add a pinch of baking soda and half a teaspoon of salt and mix well. Spray this into your nasal passages with a turkey baster or plant sprayer until the saline solution comes out the other side. Your nasal passages will feel better. :D

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
This thread...

is one big huge giant guilt trip......

I just realised all the things I haven't done.......in so long that its embarassing....erm...some things I haven't cleaned since moving...and thats December....uggggg

OK.....its obviously Spring Cleaning weekend....darn you all!

Denise.....guiltridden

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner