Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's your signature hat?

Alex Oviatt

Practically Family
Matt Deckard said:
I do wear this vintage brown Dobb's a lot. It's a great hat with a bit of a furry nap.

l_f070e879bfb4f83305c0d97b647e9861.jpg
l_03608225fd644971977df3eda9371ab7.jpg

Yet it still doesn't compare to how much I wear my Optimo graphite.

l_23a29f4ce89c40e2bd93c7ce5cb02b94.jpg
Is that Twohey's?

Artie

Suspended
This early 50's Adams, I've got about 20 or so hats and I wear this one to work. its been covered in sawdust, I've sweated through the band many times and it just keeps coming back for more. I've worn it so much that it now is by far the best fitting hat I've got.

tweedy.jpg

skinny tie

New in Town
great looking hats

those 2 hats are gorgeous
i'd love to find one with that purple ribbon combination

Mario said:
I think my two Mallory Ten variations would qualify as my signature hats.

Pliafelt:

Mallory-Ten-Pliafelt-Large.jpg

Cravenette:

Mallory-Ten-Cravenette-Large.jpg

mmccabe

New in Town
I don't have a signature hat either. I am currently breaking in my new gray Christie that was my Christmas present to myself. It's my first fur felt/raw edge and I'm liking it a lot. Depending on the weather, I shift around going mostly with a fedora I got at JJ's in NYC,brown teardrop. I also go with a brown C crown and a gray/green I bought for nasty weather.

Goose.

Practically Family
Ephraim Tutt said:
Yep Goose - that's the hat I think of when I think of you.
Very cool.

Thanks ET. I owe it to Mr. Paladin. I saw him looking so smiley in his Homburgs I thought I'd give one a try.

daizawaguy said:
:eek: :( :eek: :rolleyes:

Anything positive about hat wearing?

Thinking the same and that someone needs a hug ;)

VickHick

New in Town
Akubra Banjo Patterson

One of these days I will learn how to post some pictures on here. The 2 hats I wear the most are my Akubra Mid Brown Campdraft and Banjo Patterson. Of the 2 the Banjo Patterson gets the nod most of the time. Great hat.

Pompidou

One Too Many
Hi all. Nice place you have here. Mid January, just a few weeks ago really, I got a first fedora. It's the mid-priced fur-felt version of the official indy fedora I think it usually goes for 120-130 depending where you find it. I saw a beaver version for the high 500s and a cheap 50ish wool, but figured the midline was a safe first hat. It's my signature. I never leave home without it. I'll have to get a photo taken with it. That said, after reading these forums, I'm thinking I need a second hat. I mean, I can't wear a brown hat with everything. I wouldn't mind a black one - I saw a cool looking porkpie that was black with a red ribbon.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
That's easy - my black Astros baseball cap.

I have too many favorite fedoras for any of them to be a 'signature' hat, but I wear a blue-grey Playboy most of the time.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Pompidou said:
Hi all. Nice place you have here. Mid January, just a few weeks ago really, I got a first fedora. It's the mid-priced fur-felt version of the official indy fedora I think it usually goes for 120-130 depending where you find it. I saw a beaver version for the high 500s and a cheap 50ish wool, but figured the midline was a safe first hat. It's my signature. I never leave home without it. I'll have to get a photo taken with it. That said, after reading these forums, I'm thinking I need a second hat. I mean, I can't wear a brown hat with everything. I wouldn't mind a black one - I saw a cool looking porkpie that was black with a red ribbon.
Learn by doing. No other way.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My Dark Brown Akubra Federation IV Standard.

awesomealex.jpg

I've only had this hat...my first ever...for about a month, but I've made sure to wear it at all times (except for sleeping, entering a restaurant, or talking to new acquaintances and ladies) trying to break it in.
I'm not sure people expect me to be wearing this hat whenever they see me, but I'm trying to make damn sure they will! :D

AfterRainUpShot.jpg

Panda Moanium

New in Town
Wear a nice Panama regularly and starting to build up a collection of fedoras, occasionally don boonies and bucket hats just for variation, but my signature headgear would have to be this distressed leather outback hat from Kakadu. Has served me well in all weather and fits like a glove.

8a55c.jpg

coble

A-List Customer
my stetson selv edge 3x beaver

i'm usually in my stetson selv edge 3x beaver 1950's fedora or i'm in my other 1950's stetson medalist. It depends on if i want my wider brim or not. When i get the money for my custom one i've designed i'd have to say that will be my primary hat.
the stetson selv edge 3x beaver is my avatar picture. photo of my stetson medalist is linked below. Now the stetson 3x beaver is coming close to retirement until i can get the stitching on the sweatband fixed, its slowly but surely coming loose. What can i say its my pride and joy of my collection it was my first vintage fedora. So if i had to pick i'd have to pick my stetson 3x beaver.
I do like to wear my fedoras with the brim on the front curved up, like the old classic western hats. I prefer a wider brim for that factor. My stetson medalist does the look really well with the brim how i like it, but with the stetson selv edge 3 x beaver i try to do this style as shown in my avatar. But its not as unique as i like it. I just love that look when you flip the front of the bill straight up, my wife calls me the apple dumpling gang when i wear the medalist that way.
The Stetson 3x i will normally flip the back and drop the front like Humphrey Bogart style in the Maltese Falcon (if you don't have the 3 dvd set collection, buy it there amazing) just for the fact that it doesn't have a wide enough brim to do the front curved up and still look how i want it to, it does look interesting almost a trilby feel but i like to stay more classic with this fedora.
So i'd have to say dealing with styling the brim it depends on the width and if i want it a certain style. But those are my two main looks with brim styling. Color choices, browns to me are more casual then greys, but thats just my personal opinion. When i get dressed up for an occasion i'll wear my stetson 3x, and when i'm running around doing errands or working in the yard i wear my medalist.

http://entertainment.webshots.com/photo/2700356360106604173bKDwLH

Jacora

Familiar Face
Signature Style - If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It

If I really like something I dive in deep. I research the hell out of it, find out everything I can, and then try to decide on the optimum solution for me. For example I am a guitarist and love guitars - I love looking at them as well as playing them, but I'm no collector. I bought a nice electric in the 70's, a new one in the 90's and another last year. That's three in almost 40 years - because when I find what I like I stick with it. I love knowing collectors, and admiring their guitars, but I don't have any desire to be one myself. Even with things requiring less of an investment, beer for instance, I'm the same way. I used to brew beer and even became a recognized beer judge. I've forgotten much, but there was a time when I could have told you a great deal about beer styles from all over the world and how they are made. But ultimately I decided I really like English style ales and their modern descendants, so that's what I drink almost exclusively.

I'm guessing that my relationship to hats will go the same way. I'm still in the deep dive stage, but ultimately I am likely to come out the other end with what works for me and stick with it. For obvious reasons, many of the folks that post here seem to be more on the collector side of things, but I am wondering if there are folks here who, like me, like seeing this in others, but for themselves have decided on a signature style and stick with it.

What's your signature style?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21