Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's your signature hat?

tommyK

One Too Many
Seriously, I feel that way about cars. Love them, love the big car show in NYC, go every year. Go with my father to antique car shows and swap meets. Had the same Jeep for 15 years. Little interest in getting a new car

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
All diverse kinds here. That is what makes this Fedora Lounge a great mix. I wouldn't say I'm a "collector" and at this time I'm not into vintage. I've been wearing hats for only a year. I have abt 15 hats that I actively wear. Straws during the warmer weather and fur felts whenever possible. One or sometimes two a day but not at the same time... My enthusiasm has not abated. Yes, like you I enjoy seeing and learning abt all kinds of hats. I'm not into everything. I buy and wear what I like. Re:"Signature Style?" That most likely would be classified as schizophrenic.

Last edited:

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
... I am wondering if there are folks here who, like me, like seeing this in others, but for themselves have decided on a signature style and stick with it.

I have several hats, but would not consider myself a collector by any stretch of the imagination. I have four or five hats I routinely wear, depending on the circumstances (work, dress, leisure, hiking/camping). Wearing a hat with a tall crown and a larger brim has become my "signature style."

rogerstg

A-List Customer
I'm not sure at what point a person becomes a collector instead of simply a user. I have a few brimmed hats, mainly to suite the practical and fashion needs of various circumstances. But I like knowing something about them. That way I know things like when to buy fur felt instead of wool for my needs. So maybe that makes me a collector because I know more about my hats than most people know about their clothes.

On the other hand, my wife has many pairs of shoes. Far more than the number of hats I own. She knows very little about them other than which outfit they go with, or which outfit they went with, or which outfit they'll go with once she buys it. I wouldn't call her a collector. Maybe a hoarder:eeek:, but not collector.

Roger

We don't see the serious, or hard core collectors posting anywhere near as often as in the past, IMO. There are still very impressive collections among us being shown, but it seems there are some missing pieces. You know who you are! Hard core is good.

facade

A-List Customer
If I really like something I dive in deep. I research the hell out of it, find out everything I can, and then try to decide on the optimum solution for me. For example I am a guitarist and love guitars - I love looking at them as well as playing them, but I'm no collector. I bought a nice electric in the 70's, a new one in the 90's and another last year. That's three in almost 40 years - because when I find what I like I stick with it. I love knowing collectors, and admiring their guitars, but I don't have any desire to be one myself. Even with things requiring less of an investment, beer for instance, I'm the same way. I used to brew beer and even became a recognized beer judge. I've forgotten much, but there was a time when I could have told you a great deal about beer styles from all over the world and how they are made. But ultimately I decided I really like English style ales and their modern descendants, so that's what I drink almost exclusively.

I'm guessing that my relationship to hats will go the same way. I'm still in the deep dive stage, but ultimately I am likely to come out the other end with what works for me and stick with it. For obvious reasons, many of the folks that post here seem to be more on the collector side of things, but I am wondering if there are folks here who, like me, like seeing this in others, but for themselves have decided on a signature style and stick with it.

What's your signature style?

I equate hats to women's shoes. Sure you can get by with just a few basic necessities but the more you have the more varied and fun your choices are. Also, like shoes, one can fall off the deep end and buy way more than you can ever hope to use.

For me wearing a fashionable hat is signature enough. I see no benefit in limiting myself to one style or brim width. I match my hat to my clothes and the occasion. Work calls for a more conservative hat. Summer calls for straws. Match brim width to the lapel width of my clothing. Wide brims when I'm looking to make a statement. Etc. My goal is not to be that dude in the hat but rather to incorporate the hat into a cohesive appearance. I don't want to look like I stepped out of the forties, I simply hope to look good. If I'm dressed to the nines, I take "nice hat" as a bit of a failure on my part.

To that end, I have bought a good amount of hats (nowhere near the true collector's hoards) but have made an effort to curb my collecting nature.

smoothsailor

One of the Regulars
I wouldn,t call myself a collector. It took a while(6 hats) before i found my style.
For the moment its a tall straight crown with a messy bash and max 2.5 brim wich i turn up

I guess I'm a pseudo collector at this point. It's hard to say I'm anything, having been into this a short time. I'm at the tail-end of the drinking through a firehose stage of learning about hats, history, and the like, as well as purchasing new and vintage ones. It's been that way for many of my hobbies - steep learning and enthusiasm curve, followed by a plateau of learning and enthusiasm. It's something I truly enjoy, though, and between gaining new knowledge (and hats!) and the new friends I've made on this forum, it will be a lasting part of me.

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
I don't really have a signature hat, but out of the 10 or 12 that I wear the most the majority have a tall center bash crown with long side dents and most have a 2.5 to 2.75 inch snap brim, but my favorite (of the ones I didn't make myself) has a flat brim.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My VS Milan. I told my wife that I felt it had become part of me, and she said that if I didn't take it off it soon would be.

DesertDan

One Too Many
Tall, straight crown, wide brim (2.5/8" minimum) teardrop crease, snapped & cupped, medium pinch, medium rake.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I always try to incorporate hats into my outfits, so I generally wouldn't buy a hat I'm not looking to wear.

My two "signature" lids would have to be my Black Sheep custom in hand dyed oxblood, and my VS playboy in dark cherry. I appreciate the attention to detail that two master hatters put into hats for me.

PHIL1959

One of the Regulars
I don't know about being signature, but the one that seams to suit me best,and I wear most often is a stylemaster. IMG_20141110_225454.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21