Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When can you call your style vintage and when not to?

AuroraFisherman

New in Town
Dear Ladies, this is my first post here (tough I've hangd around for some time now :cool:)

I've been thinking a lot about vintage dressing and I can't stop wonder when you can call your style vintage and when you can't call it vintage...

If you wear modern clothes and add a perfect vintage makeup and hair, is this vintage style?

If you wear only vintage clothes with modern hairstyles and makeup, do you call this vintage style to?

When do you set the vintage "brand" on different people?

How do you feel with people that mix eras?

Can you call your self vintage 24/7 or part time vintage?

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
I wear very little vintage (I love vintage jewelry, coats, some of this and that) but am 100% retro in spirit and lifestyle, as much as I am able. I don't dress the part, I guess you can say! I don't bother myself with worrying about whether or not I fit into a scripted mold with unwritten rules known only to a select few.

Welcome to the lounge!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Okay, since you are new, and we get this question semi-annually, Im gonna set your (and future newbies') mindset right now. There is NO wrong or RIGHT way to do this, at all. Period. Okay :)

I cant tell you how it makes my skin crawl when I hear people say, "she's more vintage than her." You know who do that, newbies. Why? Because people who have done it for a while are comfortable where they are in their style, whether they be Rockabilly, vintage, retro, etc.

Those who want to be as period correct in their look will work hard at it, those who don't want to will not. Its just that simple. I guarantee you that the gal who often looks like she stepped out of the era researched a lot to achieve that look. Its about the amount of effort you put in it vs what you want to do with your style.

THere are VERY few women who do it 100%. I guarantee you they are using modern something for a shortcut, or whatever.

So I guess Im saying is stop worrying about categorizing yourself as too vintage or not vintage enough. It does not matter.

LD

Last edited:

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer
Well said, LD! I should hate to think that I was in competition with anyone else when all I want is to be a better (happier, prettier, more comfortable, etc) me.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
What LD and PSG said.

I'll wear what I like. Even in skinny jeans I am still "vintage" in spirit and lifestyle. I never thought of vintage "ending." It's ongoing for me and has been since I switched over in 1998 :D Like LD said, I am confident in my "vintageness" and (like PSG said) I don't feel I need to fit a strict mold. Like GL said: It's not a competition. And what I always say: Wear what you like!

I have no problem with the girl who dresses as accurately as possible to the gal who likes jeans and hair flowers. Mixing eras: Go for it! I do it sometimes. As for being vintage 24/7, no. I like modern feminine hygiene products and I am typing this from a computer with Internet.

Vintage is more about spirit than clothes to me. How it should be :) Welcome!!!

AuroraFisherman

New in Town
Thank you all, for your great answers <3

The reason why I'm asking is that I don't want to offend any one.
I oftenly call my self vintage but then I mostly wear repros or wear my own designd clothes... But after your great answers I feel confortably to continue call my style vintage without any risk of making other vintage persons offended?!

Drappa

One Too Many
To be honest, it doesn't really matter whether other people are offended or not as long as you don't try to mock people, which you aren't. There are perhaps always going to be groups of people who are snobbish about it or think others aren't "as vintage" as them, but I generally feel sad for them, because they must not have much going on in their lives. Wear what you design and like (and post pictures of your designs some time, I'd love to see them!), and don't worry what other people think.

Now, if you went to Halloween dressed up in vintage, that may offend some people :D

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I wear skinny jeans sometimes, which offends some girls here. Do I care? Not really. I'm confident in my vintageness.

Never knew anyone would be "offended" because you don't do it 100% "right." From what I gather, we all like and appreciate all levels of vintageness. I know I do.

Never, ever worry about that kind of stuff. It will show and you really will look how you don't want to. I make dresses from 1940s patterns in outrageous fabrics! Again, don't care how "vintage" they are -- I like it and that's all that matters :D

MissLaurieMarie

One of the Regulars
I actually don't own one stitch of actual vintage clothing, save for a 1950s nightie, but I get complicated on my "vintage" style all the time. I only have a few repro dresses as well - everything else is modern, I just buy what might have a classic cut or fit, and then pair it with more vintage style hair or make-up.
But I was also worried that some might think I'm not vintage enough here on FL, but I should have known better because you are all so wonderful & fabulous <3

Tatum

Practically Family
I really don't think many do...

That's fine. They can stay in their unhappy little clique and let the rest of us have a good time. Have you ever noticed that people who act like that are usually incredibly unhappy with themselves? I also get the impression that most of us here have different (I hate to say better) values, and that we generally have a good bit of confidence. Sometimes you have to to maintain a vintage style. You definitely need it to start out!

By the way, I was incredibly unpopular until high school. The only reason I went under the "Elite's" radar then was because the pool of people to make fun of became much bigger, and I wasn't so weird anymore. Now they all want to be friends on Facebook... :/

Drappa

One Too Many
^Yes, they usually are and often seem to have no interests or hobbies to distract them from what other people are wearing or doing! I now find that adult women do this about personal choices and accomplishments (ie having kids or not, what type of job one has or doesn't have, whether one "snagged" a husband or not,...), and it is so tiring and boring.
I don't think I was cool in Highschool either, but didn't really have many problems thankfully. My friends were all a bit alternative, so it was a good time. Don't really miss it much though.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
By the way, I was incredibly unpopular until high school. The only reason I went under the "Elite's" radar then was because the pool of people to make fun of became much bigger, and I wasn't so weird anymore. Now they all want to be friends on Facebook... :/

SOunds like me lol

I was in high school int he early 90s when the "alternative" scene burst open. I remember other girls (and guys, too!) saying how "So-and-so isn't ________ enough because she/he likes _________ music band and wears ________ article of clothing!" I thought it was pretty lame then, too.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I would much rather someone like me for who I am than for what I'm wearing ;)

But really, I think style is really great- and whether you put a label on it or not, I really don't think that vintage style needs to be limited to just authentic vintage clothing. It's really the aesthetic, in my opinion, whether it's new from the mall or purchased repro or made yourself or authentic vintage, or what have you.

There are those who think differently, but over the last few years I've found more and more who are more open with their interpretation with vintage in regards to personal style, and I think that's a good thing. There are more purist types who wear the 100% accurate looks day to day, and kudos to them for doing it, but I think that most think of vintage style as just fashion with a bit of a reminiscent twist. Personally, I save me 100% vintage looks for historic events or other set aside times with friends where we get together and sport period looks- kind of like time travel for a day and then I go back to my normal style.

Last edited:

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I would agree with the comments already posted. People who get their personal high off of putting other people down really are base people. There are people who have so little self-confidence, and so little self-worth, they need to build themselves up by putting others down. That is the only way they can feel better about themselves: by comparison.

I never liked these people, because they see their own social power and confidence as being rocked and destroyed by anyone who is different. So they pick out the different ones and are nasty to them, to maintain their power and feel better about themselves.

Lots of my clothes are used, a few I've made, and a few are repros or modern things with nice lines. I really don't care when a piece is from as long as I like the look. The plain fact is that for many of us, we're not going to be able to afford vintage things, or find vintage things in our size, or even have vintage things available to us in our neck of the woods. (I have to admit, I've been a little hesitant to post in the "what are you wearing" or the "ladies show us your best" threads, because I simply do not have the gorgeous vintage things that many of you ladies have. Or your makeup skills.)

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
One of the things that's cool about being vintage is that, for most of us, there's no strong physical community. Like, you don't walk into a high school cafeteria and see the jock's table, the nerds' table, and then the vintage kids' table. There are no "uniforms" or molds to fit into; as you can see just from photos in our "show us your best" thread, most vintage gals seem to fall into their own unique styles within the arc of evoking the Golden Era.

In my mind, it's more of an ethos. Maybe you dress modern everyday, but you love old films and have one special vintage gown for evening events. Or maybe you only do the hair/makeup. Or maybe you dress in head-to-toe vintage everyday, from bullet bra to seamed stockings. What makes one "vintage" is the spirit, and the affection for and interest in the fashions of the past.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy