Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When Did You Develop Enjoyment Of Clothes?

Goodguy

New in Town
For me, it was my early exposure to the GQ fashion magazine and for others, it was a family member. What was your first source for your enjoyment of clothes today?

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I've always had an enjoyment of clothes! When I was a kid, my mom used to make me a fancy dress for Christmas and for Easter. We would fabric and pattern shop together, and usually we would work together to piece parts of different patterns together. My parents bought me my first vintage dress when I was about 12, lovely early 1940s royal blue velvet number. Later in my teens, my mom continued to make me formals for events for a Masonic youth group I was in.

I got off track part way through high school with the advent of grunge (hey, I lived in Washington state), but what goes around comes around and I eventually got back on track.

donCarlos

Practically Family
When I first visited this site. I always wanted to look different, but I had no knowledge about clothes and I didn´t know where to start. Then, as a miracle, I found the fedora lounge and suddenly I knew what to look for. A new addiction was born.

Miss Crisplock

A-List Customer
I think that would be birth. I am the product of not one, but two close horses:eusa_doh: and even in my grade school photos can be easily identified by my wardrobe. In kindergarten, I insisted on wearing a party dress to photo day, and in first grade am the only child who wore a hat. I probably had my gloves in my purse.

Right now I have the smallest wardrobe I have ever owned.

jgilbert

One of the Regulars
Would say in high school. However did college, house, and kids first then after all that was able to start building a wardrobe.

Edward

Bartender
I've always been fussy about what I would wear - or perhaps more to the point what I would not wear - as far back as I can remember. By 14 I had developed a decidedly anti-mainstream fashion mindset, and have become increasingly interested in consturcting my own looks ever since. Over the years, I developed a better eye for what goes with what, and now really find myself honing my wardrobe. My look has evolved rather than changed dramatically. The grunge stuff I wore was largely a combination of the more Ram ones-end of my punk looks, and later via a few period tweaks evolved into a rockabilly-greaser look. I always hated the ripped denim look, right from as young as I can remember, so it wasn't that much of a change for me. About the only difference was the jeans legs getting a touch wider as the waist got just a touch higher. :)

My wardrobe has become increasingly retro over the last couple of years - I more conciously aim for a 30s / 40s style a lot of the time, though my look will range from the punk thing, via goth on occasion, with vintage or vintage influenced looks being the default option. Slowly purging all contemporary looks from my wardrobe as they simply are a mere pale reflection of the more vintage styles I prefer. I've not found it a great hardship tracking down vintage repro stuff compared to before, as I so rarely could find what I wanted in the High Street anyhow...

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
ALWAYS! I have been told as a small kid I would tell off my mother if I didnt approve of what she had picked out for me and I would go and find a better outfit myself. And then it snowballed from there. I have always been a 'pretty dress' kind of girl (expect a few years in my late teens/early twenties when I 'rebelled')

vintage68

Practically Family
I had my interest in clothes from about the time I was four. Seriously. I dressed up as Speed Racer once for Halloween and I remember that getting the details right was very important to me. I was obsessed about the shirt.

Then, when I saw my first James Bond movie around five or six that was when it really got bad. I bought a used tuxedo....

I fly my freak flag HIGH.

lairddouglas

Familiar Face
Ummm - KinderGarden

I have the horrible Sears Photos wearing double breasted double knit polyester leisure suits with turtlenecks and clip on ties from age 3-5. Then I insisted on wearing khaki golf shirt and khaki pants everywhere. I would insist on having my outfit everyday in kindergarden. First grade to Seventh grade was jeans and pearl button cowboy style shirts. Then in seventh grade I started wearing button downs and ties everywhere with jeans. High School saw my evolution to khakis and blue button down shirts and tie and tweed coats. This has continued to the present. When in doubt a tweed sportcoat, dark khakis, blue buttondown oxford and bowtie always works.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21