Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When Not to Wear a Hat?

Gilgamark

A-List Customer
I met a potential new client yesterday. He and I had spoken over the phone and exchanged emails. He had talked to some other people about me and I had done the same about him, etc. But this was our first meeting. He's a businessman, thinking of running for office for the first time. Complete political neophyte. We met at his office.

To the point, I decided not to wear a hat to the meeting. Of course, I would have taken it off when I went inside his building regardless, but I worried that a hat might be seen as too individualistic or "flaky" for what was, in effect, a job interview.

Since I'm still relatively new to hat wearing (about nine months), I wasn't sure, and decided not to take the chance - even though politics, especially campaign politics, is full of individuals and "flakes."

What are the thoughts on wearing hats to interviews or business meetings? Did I make the right call or did I overthink it?

I'll also add that had we been meeting in a less formal setting (drinks, dinner, whatever) I would have worn a hat.

Goose.

Practically Family
Paisley said:
You called it right. There's a time and place for fashion statements, and a typical job interview isn't it.
I agree.

As much as I like and understand the hat gig, most do not. In my job, I have interviewed hundreds of info tech candidates and most are what we call "customer facing" positions. Suits are the norm for management and biz casual for personnel doing the heavy lifting (real work).

If I was to send a candidate that I liked and the customer saw him bring a hat to the interview, it could be seen that the person is ostensibly playing "dress up" day. Right or wrong, perception is reality when it comes down to customers that equal "revenue".
Better safe than sorry.

Having said that, when I have to wear "grown up" clothes to the office, I wear a hat which I remove indoors. While at customer sites, it stays in the car (away from direct heat).

Your mileage may vary. Don't run with scissors.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
As the others have said. :)

When I was job hunting I usually left the hat in the car. Not only did I have the same concerns about how non-hat-wearing people would take it, I was concerned about what to do with it. It can be a bit of a hassle juggling your hat, coat, briefcase, whatever as you move from place to place within an office area. These days most places don't have coat racks, much less hat racks.

Cheers,
Tom

Dewhurst

Practically Family
It is interesting to see that so many people regard "hats" (especially fedoras, these days) as something of an "expression", something "individual" or a "fashion statement".

I have never actually been able to view them that way, but it is interesting to see so many that do.

Have a lot of people only adopted hats after a long life of never having worn them? I guess that would help me to understand the situation. I come from the opposite end of the spectrum, having worn hats of all sorts for my entire life.

It is also interesting to see how often this "meeting/interview vs. hats" thing comes up.

I THINK YOU MADE THE RIGHT CHOICE, you should go with your gut. But, for me, it would have been the wrong choice. Do you know what I mean? I don't leave the house without a hat, and I wear hats to meetings, interviews, out to eat, movies, etc. Of course, I try my best to follow my own hat etiquette out of courtesy for others. If I have lost opportunities because I wear hats, I'm sure I didn't want to be associated with people who would read too much in to a hat, anyway. But that is me, and I'm not you.

The weather here in Atlanta was VERY nice yesterday, so I wouldn't have taken my hat out of the car to go meet this prospect. Weather like today, windy & rainy, the hat would've been on to the building, then in hand as my rain coat would be. I don't do umbrellas. Basic answer is "it depends"...

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
I too think you made the right call. Of course, the nature of the particular job that one is trying to get is really an important distinction.

Randy

Familiar Face
For me a hat is just part of my attire and although I am new to vintage hats, I have worn modern caps and hats for some time and your concern would never have crossed my mind.

If something I do, or like, or whatever, is part of who I am, I'm not hiding it for fear that it might give someone an odd impression... That said, I also tell people exactly what I expect from an employer in an interview - it's a two way interview in my mind, they are there to learn if I am what they need and I am there to find out if they will be a good match for my personality and skill sets. If I am false in how I present myself at the interview, then I have only myself to blame if things go poorly. If I am me, to the tee, in the inverview, I know that they have seen what I will be like all the time and I don't have to play a role at work that is not who I really am. I've had people storm out of interviews because of how I approach the process, but I've had far more people offer me some really great positions and have gotten a lot of compliments for my approach to finding a win-win match.

The bottom line is are you comfortable with your choice? If so, you did the right thing, if not, you might want to consider how you would do things differently in the future. You have to do what you feel is right for you, so it sounds like you did the right thing :)

- Randy

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Dewhurst said:
It is interesting to see that so many people regard "hats" (especially fedoras, these days) as something of an "expression", something "individual" or a "fashion statement".

I have never actually been able to view them that way, but it is interesting to see so many that do.

I would say that serious hat wearer (the likes of loungers) don't do it as a fashion statement, at least all the time. I wear my hat all the time, and if I want to make a statement of individuality I wear interesting clothes, like a nice suit and bright but sensible tie.

But non-hatwearers do not see it this way. Not being used to hats they will take it as a fashion statement due to their rarity on people.

Of course this is just my opinion. If people think I'm wrong, please point it out.

David V

A-List Customer
avedwards said:
I would say that serious hat wearer (the likes of loungers) don't do it as a fashion statement, at least all the time. I wear my hat all the time, and if I want to make a statement of individuality I wear interesting clothes, like a nice suit and bright but sensible tie.

But non-hatwearers do not see it this way. Not being used to hats they will take it as a fashion statement due to their rarity on people.

Of course this is just my opinion. If people think I'm wrong, please point it out.

I think you've got the right of it.

As a general rule I do not wear a hat in the shower. That's just how I roll.

Gilgamark

A-List Customer
gtdean48 said:
The weather here in Atlanta was VERY nice yesterday, so I wouldn't have taken my hat out of the car to go meet this prospect. Weather like today, windy & rainy, the hat would've been on to the building, then in hand as my rain coat would be. I don't do umbrellas. Basic answer is "it depends"...

Very good point. Yesterday was a great day in Nashville, upper 60's and clear. If it had been raining, like today, I would have worn a hat. I suppose weather can dampen the "fashion statement" aspect.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I rarely leave the house without a hat on. It's mostly to shield my head and face from the weather, but yes, it's also a fashion statement, and one that only a small percentage of people make. Others don't necessarily know what to make of it.

If you think otherwise, check out these very long threads on reactions to hats

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=10929

and vintage clothing

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=10192

I work at a wonderful office. The company was voted one of the best workplaces and it's financially strong and successful. But there's a pretty standard interview outfit (scores of candidate come through here from time to time), and someone who deviated much from it would probably put himself at a disadvantage. Losing an opportunity here would be a high price to pay for insisting on wearing a hat.

Gilgamark

A-List Customer
Dewhurst said:

Have a lot of people only adopted hats after a long life of never having worn them? I guess that would help me to understand the situation. I come from the opposite end of the spectrum, having worn hats of all sorts for my entire life.

It's very interesting that most people now view hats as a symbol of individuality when they used to be one of the ultimate signs of conformity. In fact, I've read that many American men stopped wearing hats as a show of individuality. Guess everything comes back around in the cycles of history.

Yes, I have come to wearing hats within the last year - after a lifetime of wearing baseball caps or golf hats. I never wore those hats to work, though. That's the truly new part for me.

Gilgamark

A-List Customer
Tango Yankee said:
I was concerned about what to do with it. It can be a bit of a hassle juggling your hat, coat, briefcase, whatever as you move from place to place within an office area. These days most places don't have coat racks, much less hat racks.

I was concerned about this, too. In Nashville, that first handshake is important, especially in political circles. I had some file folders with me. I didn't want to be juggling them and a hat - because no one in Nashville has a hat rack (except my house).

funneman

Practically Family
I think you made the right choice.

Believe me, I wear a fedora EVERYWHERE I go. My wife
laughs at me because I even wear a hat to drive my
daughter to the school bus stop at the entrance to our
development and even when I go to pick her up at dance class.

But I have been on several job interviews and have always
left my hat in the car. Had the weather been very cold
or rainy it might have been a different story.

I went to a funeral yesterday for a very old, dear friend
and again, the hat stayed in the car. It just didn't seem
right to draw attention to myself.

I've read several accounts of men "back in the day" who left
their fedora in the car to avoid paying a hat check girl.
So IMHO wearing it "enroute" without wearing it "inside"
is nothing new.

And like it or not, wearing a fedora these days IS "making a
statement." It's just not as common as it used to be, so it
stands out and sometimes it puts people off.

Plus, as has been noted here, there are no hat racks available
as there would have been in the past.

Even though I am thinking about bringing one into my office!

Gilgamark

A-List Customer
Interesting comments. It came down to a matter of the meeting being at his office. Being unsure, I thought it best not to risk it. I put on the dark gray suit and left the hat at home. If we had met in my office, I would have worn my hat like I do every day (and I would have had a place to put it). Also, if we decide to work together, I'll wear hats around this client in the future.

In my line of work, you can get away with being an individual the higher you go up the food chain, but unless you're pretty high up, it's best not to risk it.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
After you've established rapport with this client, and introduced him to the fedora virus, that initial interview will be a point of amusing retrospection for the two of you.

If you're ever compelled to interview with a client you'd rather not have, you could carry a simple screw-in hook with you, install it in his/her office with several quick turns of the wrist, hang your hat, and proceed with the interview. :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot