Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When was this reversible jacket made?

fnoprx

Familiar Face
Second post here after years of regular visits. Thought I would start by asking you wise folks about a jacket I recently bought - a very nice reversible gab-style jacket in amazing shape. Love the silver flecked side.

Can anyone tell me when this was made? Is it collectable or just a wearer?

img0530cv.jpg

img0532it.jpg

img0534l.jpg

img0536k.jpg

Thanks!

Edward

Bartender
If it's genuinely 1950s, it could be worth big money; I've seen good examples of this style sell for more than a really nice fifties suit. It certainly looks vintage to me, but I'm no expert. I expect someone here will be able to date it from the label and zip details, though. Crown was a big zip provider back i the day, so that's probably a very good clue as to age, the design on the puller, assuming it wasn't a later replacement.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Based on the style/typography of the label I'd say the second half of the 1950's through the early 60's. In regards to whether it's a collectible or a wearer, for me, there's no difference; I wear a short, late 30's, wool side-cinch jacket for everyday wear (which is considered by workwear collectors to be very desirable and valuable). I can get away with wearing that jacket as much as I do because wool is hard-wearing. The way I look at it, the most expensive piece of clothing is the one you rarely/never wear (and I do have plenty of of those too . . .once the vintage bug gets ya, it's hard to pass up cool things).

Your jacket looks to be gray rayon gab on one side and corduroy on the flecked side. I would say that cord side is definitely hard-wearing enough to enjoy this jacket as much as you like. You are right be a little cautious regarding the gab side, though, vintage rayon gab clothing does wear out pretty easily. I used to wear gabardine loop collar shirts daily, but as they've become so much more scare in the last several years, I've stopped doing so.

Collectability wise, all reversibles are desirable, but jackets which are gabardine on both sides, are older, have contrasting panels, more pronounced fleck patterns, etc., are usually the ones that command top dollar.

fnoprx

Familiar Face
Thanks to both of you! Actually, the flecked side is definitely NOT cordouroy - it feels like gabardine as well, it just has a slightly raised, stripey effect.

Still don't know if I should wear it - especially since here in Denmark you just never know if you are going to get caught in the rain! For me it is usually a g-1 or a-2 in chilly weather and a cotton harrington in the summer.

Thanks again!

Peacoat

Bartender
My expertise lies in an area other than zippers, but I think I remember Coats and Clark operated the factory in Manhattan where Crown zips were made. Seems that C&C started putting its own name on the zipper pulls in the early to mid 50s. If that is accurate, then this coat probably dates from no later than the mid 50s. There are one or two zipper experts on the Lounge who can correct me if my memory is faulty.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
fnoprx, the flecked side of your jacket is definitely not gabardine. Gabardine is a very specific term that refers to a type of weave, not a fiber. A gabardine is a fabric that is tightly woven with a diagonal weave, the fabric can be made of everything from cotton to polyester. In the 40's and 50's rayon or rayon wool blends were most commonly favored which has led many vintage sellers to refer to almost all 50's items gabardine or "gab." That doesn't mean your jacket isn't cool/rare/valuable/collectible, though. Some of the most desirable and collectible "Hollywood" jackets around, made by Carmel Sportswear, are usually not gabardine but nubby silk. . .

Gabardine.jpg

fnoprx

Familiar Face
I knew this was the place to ask ;-)
Guttersnipe: thanks for correcting me regarding gabardine.

Another thing: just noticed that the pictures don't show that this is a waist length jacket.

Thanks...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic