Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where do you find your attire and accoutrements?

I'm not asking people to give away the name of their favourite store. Just a description of the place.

Mine is a little wierd. I can assure you that i'm the only 30s/40s dressed gent that ever enters this place! It is a store that caters to the dope-smoking denizens of my town - read: pipes, papers, bongs, probably weed, etc. It has a little room in the back where they sell mostly 70s "vintage". But their stock is constantly rotating. I've had a number of orphan jackets (40s, and one 40s-styled dated 1954 German number), a couple of hats (a vintage wiiiide newsboy - could be a wide boy - and just today my first stingy brim with the bow at the back), and an apparently endless array of excellent 30s-50s ties. Every time i go into the place i find something vintage to buy. Now, i'd expect that of a vintage clothing store, but a dope joint? This place has been my find of the last 5 years. I've just requested that they replace their ties with the 3000 or so ties they have in storage, because i've exhausted the ones they have at the moment.

Except for a dame i buy from on the internet - $15 for an NRA overcoat, anyone?. She currently has a 30s suit in GREEN, fellas (approx 38-39R). Anyone interested drop me a PM, i'll send the info - you will not find this woman on any internet search.

bk

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
1986-1990: "Aardvark's Odd Ark" or "American Rag Cie." -- two vintage clothing stores in L.A. and San Francisco. Thrift stores. (Back then, you could pick up '30s peak lapel suits and a reasonable amount of gabardine for $10 a pop. Found a deadstock Dali tie, with its original tags, at thrift store.)

1992-1997: "McGinty's Vintage Underground" (the finest vintage menswear store in Southern California, now in hibernation), "Jet Rag", "Wasteland", and local estate sales around Hollywood, Glendale, Pasadena.

1998-2005: Used imported clothing stores in Santiago, Chile.

2005-2006: I'm mostly selling -- but against sounder judgement, I've picked up some hats and shoes on eBay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner