Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where Do You Find Your Lovely Pictures?

• Thread starter Deleted member 12480
  • Start date

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Amy Jeanne said:
Agree. Wouldn't the entire Internet be illegal if that were the case [huh]

If one gets caught using a copyrighted image, usually you're just asked to remove it. It rarely goes any farther. I have a huge vintage clip art collection, photos, ads. ;0

X
BD

fuzzylizzie

One of the Regulars
Unfortunately, a large part internet content is illegally posted.And it really does not seem like a big deal until it happens to you. I find content from my website reproduced all the time, usually with no mention of the original author or photographer (me).

I don't like coming off like a spoil-sport, but just hope you don't get an email from this guy:
http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2010/09/righthavens-own-brand-copyright-trolling

ZombieGirl

One of the Regulars
That's all rather scary, Lizzie. It sounds like that company is focused on written content rather than images but who knows when they set their sights on that or when a copy-cat follows suit and takes the next step.

D

Deleted member 12480

i don't understand, does this mean that bloggers are only using it illegally after that company has bought the copyright? If so, how harsh is that?!

xx

fuzzylizzie

One of the Regulars
No, it means that images and writing belong to someone. You don't buy copyright: you create it by taking the photo or writing an article, and so on.

In many cases, a site wants you to use their images, and make it easy for you to do so. A good example is Anthropologie; they even have a download button for their images. They want bloggers to take the images and write about their products. It's free advertising. The same is true for other people who sell. Why would you object to someone writing about your etsy product? You wouldn't if you were getting a link to the product. This is how so much blogging works. Not many people are going to turn down free advertising.

But what if the image is taken and not linked back? What then is the benefit to the owner of the photo? There really isn't any. What if a person saw a cute accessory you thought up and were selling on etsy, took your photo, posted it on their blog saying this is a cute thing and easy to make and why not copy it? And that without a mention of you or your etsy store.

People who are trying to protect the usage of their work are not being harsh. They are just not wanting others to use their work, especially without crediting it. The company I linked to IS using harsh methods, because as was said, most people will just email you and ask you to remove their work. And of course the chance of anyone even finding their images on your site is remote, given the hugeness of the internet. It is a whole lot easier to find words, which is, I suspect, why articles are being targeted.

One more thing and I promise to shut up about this. Several weeks ago I was reading a blog I enjoy on fashion history. One of the contributors had posted an article on the history of the bathing suit. The more I read, the more familiar the whole thing sounded. Then there was an image that I recognized as being mine. So I did some quick googling of sentences from the article and found why it was so familiar. The "writer" had taken the content from a workshop I wrote about sportswear at the Vintage Fashion Guild and had added a few more sentences and lots of images harvested from across the web, and called it her own. There was no mention of me, or the site from which it came.

Was I being mean when I emailed the admin of the blog asking her to remove it? Considering the hours I put into the article to start with, I think she got off easy with just the embarrassment of getting caught.

I know what I'm saying might not be a very popular stance on the subject, but it is an easy thing to at least credit the owner of a piece of work. Better yet, just email and ask.

D

Deleted member 12480

oh nono, thats not what I meant at all! I misuderstood. :)

You weren't being mean at all, that is perfectly understandable. So, would it be okay to link, or show where you took the picture (as I have in the past, using the picture and quoting the name of the etsy shop)? I am quite happy to link and/or quote where i took the picture from, as it isn't fair not to (there was a whole section on this in my ICT course!), I assumed this would be okay - as it is free advertising?

xx

fuzzylizzie

One of the Regulars
If it is an item for sale, I'd link and let the owner know. Most of the time they are very grateful for the exposure.

Any other situation, I'd email first and ask. Better to be safe than to risk a mad copyright holder!!

D

Deleted member 12480

yeah, they were on sale, they were either from my favourites or came up on a search of etsy. I will do that next time, thankyou!

xxx

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
fuzzylizzie said:
No, it means that images and writing belong to someone. You don't buy copyright: you create it by taking the photo or writing an article, and so on.

In many cases, a site wants you to use their images, and make it easy for you to do so. A good example is Anthropologie; they even have a download button for their images. They want bloggers to take the images and write about their products. It's free advertising. The same is true for other people who sell. Why would you object to someone writing about your etsy product? You wouldn't if you were getting a link to the product. This is how so much blogging works. Not many people are going to turn down free advertising.

But what if the image is taken and not linked back? What then is the benefit to the owner of the photo? There really isn't any. What if a person saw a cute accessory you thought up and were selling on etsy, took your photo, posted it on their blog saying this is a cute thing and easy to make and why not copy it? And that without a mention of you or your etsy store.

People who are trying to protect the usage of their work are not being harsh. They are just not wanting others to use their work, especially without crediting it. The company I linked to IS using harsh methods, because as was said, most people will just email you and ask you to remove their work. And of course the chance of anyone even finding their images on your site is remote, given the hugeness of the internet. It is a whole lot easier to find words, which is, I suspect, why articles are being targeted.

One more thing and I promise to shut up about this. Several weeks ago I was reading a blog I enjoy on fashion history. One of the contributors had posted an article on the history of the bathing suit. The more I read, the more familiar the whole thing sounded. Then there was an image that I recognized as being mine. So I did some quick googling of sentences from the article and found why it was so familiar. The "writer" had taken the content from a workshop I wrote about sportswear at the Vintage Fashion Guild and had added a few more sentences and lots of images harvested from across the web, and called it her own. There was no mention of me, or the site from which it came.

Was I being mean when I emailed the admin of the blog asking her to remove it? Considering the hours I put into the article to start with, I think she got off easy with just the embarrassment of getting caught.

I know what I'm saying might not be a very popular stance on the subject, but it is an easy thing to at least credit the owner of a piece of work. Better yet, just email and ask.

You were absolutely right in what you did. People shouldn't plagiarize in the first place, and shouldn't get away with it. You weren't being mean - it was best that you pointed it out and protected your original work. It's no different than one creating a song, and someone copying it (though that's harder to prove). Of course one should always ask permission to use photos/work/even ideas - and link back if appropriate.

I think I misunderstood the original query. I thought someone was asking about clip art in particular, not a person's photos or written work. And, as we all know, it's often hard to find out if an image has copyright - or who the original owner may be. I was thinking of old adverts, and images that may/may not be in the public domain - but sometimes no amount of searching will reveal that. For example, 40s pin up photo of a woman at a vanity, where clearly no name is given, or copyright, or owner, etc. You see this type of thing everywhere.

I don't think anyone here would use an image/work when the copyright and owner was indicated. I'm sure they'd ask permission first. However, using clip art/pics which are often hard to trace - I'm sure people do. But, a quick search on google with 'royalty free' 'copy right free' and the image wanted could point the person in the right direction.

Having said that, loads of people use Vargas, Elvgren, Petty, Enoch Bolles, etc. pin ups on their blogs, as avatar pics here, on facebook, etc. And all of those artists works are copyrighted - but people use them anyway.

X
BD

PS I guess the best thing to do is to contact whoever is hosting the blog/website with the image you want to use. If they aren't the owner, and have no idea who is - then it's up to you to decide if you want to take the risk.

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
As an aside, I'm just curious - those of you that have blogs do you credit the person that originally scanned the image? Meaning, if you use an old advert which you found in a search. Do you try to find out who originally scanned it, contact them and give credit (even though they are not the copyright owner, and scanned it from an old magazine and posted on the net)? A friend of mine recently had some issues with this, so I was curious what everyone else does.

X
BD

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I see my scans all the time. I don't care. If I did I wouldn't put them on the 'net in the first place. I think people should see them!! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner