Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where do you hang your hat?

MD11

Familiar Face
freebird said:
I've got the standard industrial grade hall tree I nabbed from my employer when they closed the plant.It's painted industrial grey and is all steel. They were selling alot of stuff for scrap, and that was one of the things I rescued. Fortunately, I was one of two people who hauled the scrap to the salvage yard.

I scoured craigslist for sometime like that, or made of wood, and found nothing.. Too bad about the plant closing, but at least you got something from it!

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
This will lead you to prior hat storage post.
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=465

MD11 said:
I tried to do a search and didn't find much, but I wonder if any of you have been able to find some nice "vintage" or even modern artisan quality hat racks for your hats? I'd like to find a nice 4-5 hat rack to place by my door, but the last thing I want to buy is a made in china Walmart special or something..

thanks

Sam

Dutch McCoy

One of the Regulars
Hat Rack?

Okay, I searched for this and did not find it. Does anyone remember a homemade hat rack a guy made with a pool table theme? I think it was about a year ago. I remember it was really neat and now I am going to make my own hat rack and I wanted to "borrow" some of his ideas. Any info at all would be helpful. Thank you very much.

grey ghost

One of the Regulars
I saw something either on ebay or the net on just that type of rack....

I have been looking through my favorites but cannot find it.....

try google........

Ghost

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
My hats are now getting numerous enough (I have five felts and one straw, with two Akubras coming in three months) that the wife (who has a felt fedora of her own) is insisting that we find a way to hang them.

I've been to the Container Store, and they have many wall-mount racks, but the hooks are all close together -- fine for coats, but not so great for hats.

Anyone know of an online source for wall-mounted racks that are designed for hats? We live in a typical (read: small) NYC one-bedroom, so our space is somewhat limited. For that reason, a standing hat rack wouldn't be ideal, but it might work, if anyone can point me to one of those.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Dutch,

I once made custom curtain rods for a family member's pool room. They turned out nice, but it requires sacrificing a set of pool balls. I drilled the balls with a forstner bit to fit 3/4" copper pipe, so the balls were the rod ends. You could design something like that as a hat rack. The copper looks great as it oxidizes a bit, too.

duggap

Banned
We have had a couple of FL crashes in the last year so I don't know if you can still recall the old thread or not but there was a thread on this subject and as I remember there were some good examples of hat racks the fellows have made for themselves. I remember one with balls which I liked quite a bit but I don't remember them being pool balls. I bet a pool ball would work great as it is big enough that it will keep any funny creases out of your hat due to hanging it. :)

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
This one?

(How I found it, and the way I find most things here:
1) Google
2) "fedora lounge" billiard "hat rack"
3) repeat search showing omitted results)

TopGumby

One of the Regulars
Seems like the simplest hat rack would involve hanger bolts, togglers and those craft balls anchored directly in to the wall. The hanger bolts look a little industrial, so covering them with a hollow dowel or some tubing would be good, and the hole in the wall for the togglers could be covered with a fender washer, drilled poker chip, or something similiar. Of course, you could dispense with the toggler if you were anchoring in something more solid than drywall.

Might be a fun project.

jpbales

Practically Family
hat rack/coat tree

I'm working on a hat rack (in the form of a coat tree) that's going to be pool-themed for my dad for x-mas. After looking around and finding erect pieces of wood no less than 80$ being advertised as coat racks, I now plan to make my own! Here are the final designs I've drawn up:

DSC02343-1.jpg

The design on the right is the pool-themed one I plan on making for my dad, and the one on the left is a non-themed one that I plan on making for my girlfriend's apartment (substitute your choice of hooks in place of the pool cues). I'm going to use pool cues as the hooks (the small end on top for the hats and the blunt end on the bottom for the coats) and an 8 ball (or some other pool-themed headpiece) at the top. All I've done so far is purchase four $7 pool cues from Wal-Mart for the hooks. The plans call for a 2X2X42 inch dowel as the main structure, and 8 inch long peices for the base. I haven't decided on what type of wood or anything yet, and for me that will depend on cost/quality and what I find at lowes/home depot! I'm far from being a carpenter, so they're going to be pretty simple. Hopefully they will turn out nicely. I'll post pics and maybe a DIY instruction when I finish (even though it shouldn't be too hard to figure out).
Suggestions? Comments? Wood-working tips that may help out?

Hap

New in Town
Restoration Hardware always has a unique selection of just this sort of stuff. HERE are some of their hat/coat hooks. I'm not sure if these would fit in with a billiard theme but they look nice enough to hang your hat on.

1OldGI

Familiar Face
The Billiard Rack

JP,
I like it. Have you considered using a rack in the base somehow? Maybe a green felt covered triangluar base bordered with a wooden rack? Don't know how doable it is but I would probably put pool balls on all my hanging positions.

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lefty said:
This one?

(How I found it, and the way I find most things here:
1) Google
2) "fedora lounge" billiard "hat rack"
3) repeat search showing omitted results)
That would be mine Lefty.
Don't know why all those pics are not showing on photobucket though, because I still have them there.
I even made 3 more since then. :D

DerMann

Practically Family
I still like my system for hanging hats in my dorm.

In the corner of the room, right by the door, there is a recession where a closet ought to be, but the bar is too close to the wall, making it impossible to hang anything. So I bent a few coat hangers and hooked them onto each other, creating dangling hooks for my hats. Best of all, I can add and subtract hooks as necessary :D

duggap

Banned
bolthead said:
That would be mine Lefty.
Don't know why all those pics are not showing on photobucket though, because I still have them there.
I even made 3 more since then. :D
Bolt, I believe photobucket will time out after a while. So if they have been up a while they are deleted. How about posting again. The ones with the balls was a good idea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24