Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where do you wear yours?

3PieceSuitGuy

One of the Regulars
Great story!

Senator Jack all I can say is "to thine own self be true" and that is what you did. I think congratualtions are in order. Next time wear your Goldfinger suit!

The thing that disturbs me so much about Larry McMurty is that he was born in 1937, lived through the stylish era that we want to live in, and then when he is in front of billions of people accepting one of the worlds biggest entertainment awards, he looks like a slob!

I don't get the whole suit and tie is uncomfortable thing. These days fabrics are so light and soft that they feel like a comfortable tracksuit. Hell buy a shirt collar that is big enough so that doing it up and wearing a tie and having it cover the top button of your shirt does not feel uncomfortable. It saddens me to look around Sydney and see less and less suits and ties each day. I guess it is our turn to be rebels with a cause.

Someone invent a time machine!

matei

One Too Many
Very interesting thread, as usual!

I make an effort to wear a suit as often as possible. You look good, you feel good, and as they say "clothing makes the man". I found out that appearance does matter, which isn't necessarily a bad thing - especially if you have the brains, talent or experience to back it up!

I wear one to work and as often as possible to "non-work" related events - dinner, films, theatre - even my evening Russian classes.

As I'm transitioning from more modern take on formal wear to a more vintage-inspired look, so I do get some looks from time to time. Usually it is positive.

Elderly people will sometimes stop to give compliments - that is a nice thing. Oddly enough, I find that middle-aged to older women will often stare - flat out stare. Perhaps I remind them of their father or someone?

Here in London no one really comments if you have a hat or not. It is cold, and you'll see quite a few trilby-type lids. However I don't think I've seen another high-crowned hat around.

geo

[Oddly enough, I find that middle-aged to older women will often stare - flat out stare/QUOTE]

Interesting, I find the same thing. At work, most of the employees are middle-aged women. Once I had a funny experience: I was taking the elevator stairs down to the food court, and in front of me was a whole crowd of middle-aged women seated at the food court tables, and there were at least 20 staring straight at me, as I was descending on the elevator stairs.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I was at a local department store yesterday, and the lady (probably mid-fifties) working in the men's department said I made her day by coming in wearing a suit. She said it's appalling what people wear these days, and she wishes we would go back to the days of dressing well. I thanked her, and we had a nice visit. Some folks still appreciate the well-dressed!

Brad

LEUII

One of the Regulars
What an interesting thread. I lead a 'double life'. I am a pastor and also a contractor. Obviously one lends itself to wearing suits very well. The other, well not so well. My trousers look a little strange with the custom hammer loops on them. :)

I do tire of the sloppiness tradesmen seem to revel in these days. I am a carpenter by trade. Most carpenters today seem to want to wear their oldest, most worn clothing to work in. I wear either chinos and a chambray shirt, or something similar. I also wear a fedora. There have been times when that attire has landed me work. Once, a man stopped me and wanted to know where the time machine was. I looked at him rather strangely. Then it dawned on me. I was dressed much like a carpenter from the 30's or 40's, cutting mouldings by hand with a plane from the early 1920's, in front of a housed buit in the 1840's. We had a great chuckle over that.

When I was younger I used to work with a joiner from Italy that worked each day in a suit. He was an impeccable joiner and dresser. You should have seen him eat lunch each day with his French buddy. . .

Wild Root

Gone Home
I recall once....

A friend and I spend the day vintage shopping in Hollywood. Later that night we wanted to dress up in our suits we had found and go hit the town. So, we got dressed in our newly acquired vintage suits and went out to eat at a nice restaurant in Arcadia. It was a Saturday night and the place was buzzing! We thought that we'd have to wait a long time before we got a table. Well, we didn't wait very long at all! We got the royal treatment!!! We were seated in no less then 5 minuets! There were lots of others that came before us and well, we got the golden ticket.

I also recall a time when I was at a swing dance. A few of us were dressed vintage and a man who was new to the whole swing dance thing said in a sarcastic tone: Oh, I didn't know it was "Vintage Night". At that I replied: Oh, well, I was unaware it was slob night! This is a swing dance is it not? Then we moved to another part of the building and had a grand time! Snub the slobby snobs with snobbery I say! Have to turn the tables and remind some that a dance isn't Wal*Mart.

=WR=

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Only well-dressed labourers need apply:

workers_postcard_large.jpg

rg8series14vol1item23.jpg

I like street pavers to wear waistcoats... it's the only civilized way to pave a street.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
John in Covina said:
Pity that [Larry McMurtry] does have potential, it's just being squandered making clownish actions.

McMurtry has proven his potential many times over: the man surpassed Zane Grey about 25 years ago. Really, folks, who cares if he wears jeans to a silly event like the Oscars? It's not a Nobel Prize ceremony. The Oscars' main goal these days is to make sure that acceptance speeches don't cut into valuable commercial break times.

I was much more surprised at the plethora of black neckties there: it looked like a funeral directors' convention. Was George Clooney the only guy wearing a bowtie?

3PieceSuitGuy

One of the Regulars
Agree about the oscars

... but it is one of the few occaisions you get to see some celebs dressed to the nines. Overall I thought the male standard of dress was good this year, there were plenty of bowties, and some tuxes with vest. Heath Ledger was wearing a 3 piece. Just thought McMurtry was the worst dressed man I had seen in a long time. Not just the bad shirt and skewiff tie, but the jeans as well. Bad bad bad!

One of the reasons I watch the Oscars is to see what is happening with Formal Wear. I remember a few years ago Russell Crowe wore white tie and tails - he looked great. Thought White Tie might be making a comeback ... oh well.

Cheers

Peter

Suits at the Police Department

I wear my suits to work everyday that I'm not in uniform. When I'm not wearing a three piece S/B I wear a D/B and always wear one of my vintage Fedoras. I also wear them to Church with one of my Homburgs. No one at the PD would wear suits before I started. Within the past few weeks some of the Investigators and one of the other Lieutenants are now wearing suits and several are thinking about getting Fedoras to replace their cowboy hats. Have the freedom of mind and the confidence to express yourself and people will follow. The same people who used to call me Eliot Ness now want to be one of the Untouchables.

TommySalieri

A-List Customer
Lieutenant said:
You don't need no Tommy gun! Just don't stop wearing your suits and hats and get into CID when theres an opening. You already are one of the Untouchables here! Semper Fi

Hey, Lt.

What agency do you work for? How about working your magic on some of the boys at my old agency? lol

silhouette53

One of the Regulars
Brad Bowers said:
I was at a local department store yesterday, and the lady (probably mid-fifties) working in the men's department said I made her day by coming in wearing a suit. She said it's appalling what people wear these days, and she wishes we would go back to the days of dressing well. I thanked her, and we had a nice visit. Some folks still appreciate the well-dressed!

Brad

That experience totally outweighs and eradicates any negative response you may have had that day, or indeed that month!! I think there are far more people who appreciate seeing someone well dressed these days than we imagine. Its just that I guess most of them wouldn't come right out and say so like that lady did. We should all just exercise our right to dress smartly, just as modern youth is free to exercise their right to dress in the most apallingly sloppy and ill-fitting clothes imaginable. I dress for ME - not for anyone else ! but if someone approves of my dress then that's OK. Standards have fallen over the years in EVERY respect - not just in dress codes. I had someone ask me recently if I was ex-military. When I asked why they thought I might be, they said " It's just that you walk so upright, like a soldier would" !!!! I guess the fact that I don't slouch like most people made me stand out in some way !! I'll just second what a number of people have said on this thread - To thine own self be true.

Colin

Wild Root

Gone Home
silhouette53 said:
That experience totally outweighs and eradicates any negative response you may have had that day, or indeed that month!! I think there are far more people who appreciate seeing someone well dressed these days than we imagine. Its just that I guess most of them wouldn't come right out and say so like that lady did. We should all just exercise our right to dress smartly, just as modern youth is free to exercise their right to dress in the most apallingly sloppy and ill-fitting clothes imaginable. I dress for ME - not for anyone else ! but if someone approves of my dress then that's OK. Standards have fallen over the years in EVERY respect - not just in dress codes. I had someone ask me recently if I was ex-military. When I asked why they thought I might be, they said " It's just that you walk so upright, like a soldier would" !!!! I guess the fact that I don't slouch like most people made me stand out in some way !! I'll just second what a number of people have said on this thread - To thine own self be true.

Colin

Right on! :eusa_clap

=WR=

The Mantis

New in Town
Goldfinger

I wore my "Goldfinger" Magnoli suit to a board meeting at Pfizer Pharmaceuticals in NYC.....Pfizer is filled with executives that pride themselves on image and I received many a compliment that day. Was impressed to see the director of marketing even recognized the cut and film.

The second time I wore this suit was to a contract negotiation for my company. Nice change of pace in the room of dark blue Joseph A Bank suits etc....below are pics in my dining room...

PC170001.JPG

PC170004.JPG

PC170002.JPG

PC170003.JPG

PC170005.JPG

PC170006.JPG

Briscoeteque

One of the Regulars
Ha! I have the companion piece to that painting 'Cigar Bar' in my dorm room:

I love it, I want to get both of them, they just are exactly the image I'm looking for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner