Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where does vintage begin and end for you?

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Hmmm... I think there's a couple threads like this out there already. One on how much vintage we incorporate in our clothing, and another on what else we collect besides hats. Forgot the titles though.

Cars (I wish), hats (of course), clothes (to justify the hats), shoes (to justify the clothes), pocket watches (to go with the ensemble), fountain pens (to finish it all out), and cameras (telling myself all the while that someday I'd actually take the time to find film and learn how to use them).

Cheers,

Foofoogal

Banned
Basically I collect stuff just because I find it and want to preserve it for someone. Chatted today with someone that meticulously takes cap guns apart and fixes them. At one time I was like this person with my dolls. Ironing tiny clothes, cleaning with toothpicks etc. We laughed about how certain things we even hide from others. If you have ever hidden a candy bar or box you will understand. For us it is because we came from large families and had to hide stuff from our siblings. Truly amazing I am able to let anything go but I have to be realistic. Currently I am in major overdrive on buttons. I guess since they are so small I can forgive myself.
Walking into modern stores and seeing miles of pure junk IMHO has stepped it all up for me. Never intended to but am totally into overdrive now.

Mr Vim

One Too Many
It always started with hats for me, and then it moved into suits to compliment the hats, and the ties, well because like the suits, you just cannot get that sort of quality with anything modern anymore. Even the top of the line suits are very, well, bland to me. The material may be fantastic but the cut is only just so and so on and so forth.

I draw the line at that, I don't want to wear vintage underwear, shoes, socks, glasses, athletic wear, sleep wear... there are some things modern society has improved upon from the good old days.

I'm limited to hardware and books pretty much--I'm just too brutal in wear on clothing to do anything closer than new "vintage inspired"--on the bright side, if you know what you're doing it's not too difficult to do a fool-the-untrained version of WWII khaki. (Given that a lot of what I do involves WWII history, I find it helps to look like you know what you're talking about--which for me means favoring a look that implies having just stepped out from "Advance GHQ" at Hollandia, New Guinea.)

Steveb1

Familiar Face
Attitude and style for me. I buy some vintage things, but not clothes. I buy new suits and other clothing to achieve a classic look. Although I find that I have to have my suits made to get the look that I want. Hats too, I have one hat and am seeking to buy more. But it's not a priority for me.

Edward

Bartender
I have come to view myself as a dieselpunk. I love the technology and various conveniences of living in the current age, but aesthetically I'm solidly grounded in the past. For me, true 'vintage' started with the Fifties - specifically, when came the time, as it does to all old punks with any sense of dignity, to retire the bondage trousers and the drainpipes, I naturally evolved into a more rockabilly look - that I was headed that was with a musical interest coincided with this. Falling into the noveau-burlesque scene kick-started an appreciation of Thirties and Forties aesthetics. In some ways you might argue it all began with the cars for me, though. I grew up around Thirties Austins in the garage, and while I don't drive or own a car these days (pointless, living in London), my aesthetic preferences in cars are still very much dictated by those early influences of being taken out on vintage runs as a child. (noone ever dressed the part, though - it was a purely vehicular interest in those circles). I'm sure that was an influence too, as were a lot of the old films I watched growing up.

My main period of clothing interest runs from 1930ish to about 1957 or so - before the trousers started to get as narrow as the lapels. Probably my favourite suiting looks as a whole would be the late 40s, bold look era, though I also love the belted backs and pleats of the thirties. I don't have a lot of true vintage - availability and cost being an issue - but I pretty much only dress at least vintage inspired now. As my wardrobe evolves, I'm heading for a truer and truer vintage look, though it will be mostly reproduction. I love a good vintage suited look; it's nice too to have a look that I can wear to the office without feeling I'm toning myself down, or having to maintain a 'work wardrobe'. Academia is, of course, more forgiving in that respect than might be some other professions. I also have a fair few leather jackets in vintage cuts now (Aero, Eastman, LW among them), and I like wearing those, whether casually with a collar and tie or cravat, or a more vintage workwear look with denim. I suppose the A2s and other military jackets (with maybe the exception of the Irvin, as there were many of those sold off as surplus post war in the UK) might be less vintage-accurate as I wear them as a civilian rather than in the context of a full uniform (hells, I'm a middle-aged, pot-bellied, bald Irish guy.... I'd look ridiculous in full USAAF garb!), but I love the look.

Oh yeah.... and unless in some form of costume which prevents it, I never step out the front door without a hat on. Sometimes in the Winter I'll even wear a beret around the house.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
I have an eclectic interest in vintage. I can browse an antique store for hours, but if I were to buy anything, it would more than likely be a hat, lighter, pocket watch, wristwatch, rotary phone, record, book, security/military/police badge, a vintage coffee mug, or some sort of vintage office item that struck my fancy. I'm not too much into vintage clothing, although I try to buy new clothes that complement my hats and accessories. Aside from the items listed above, my interests branch out into movies, music, and radio shows.

Michael Carter

One of the Regulars
I'm just in it for the hats even though I have an '87 issue A2. Though that's more uniform wear than having anything to do with vintage. Pilot's were not the only Air Force members to receive A2's. Missiles and Space also got 'em.

I like reading about vintage items and enjoy looking at and shopping for antiques, but my life doesn't revolve around living in 1942. Nothing wrong with that, it's just not for me.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I enjoy some vintage music, and I love vintage automobiles (the chrome!). I'm mostly at TFL for the hats, and I'm increasingly drawn to the Outback and Western style (Old West western, not hollywood/country music western).

That said, as a college student, I have neither the resources nor the supporting environment to cultivate more vintage into my life, but that may change in the future [huh].

rue

I'm loving the male's answers, but maybe some ladies would love to join in?

I can start....

Before I started trying out vintage hair and buying vintage clothes or replicas (just starting, so I hear you Neophyte) I have always lived with antiques, watched old movies, listened to big band and now finally have an old car (51 chevy truck) But I'm also the feminist woman's worst nightmare lol I am a lot like this controversial article, but not exactly:
http://www.snopes.com/language/document/goodwife.asp

I'm not perfect and if there's a serious issue I will talk about it before he can get a word in edgewise, but for the most part, my job is the home and anything I can do to make his life better, I will. That is how I was raised.

The only parts I really disagree with are:

Over the cooler months of the year you should prepare and light a fire for him to unwind by. Your husband will feel he has reached a haven of rest and order, and it will give you a lift too. After all, catering for his comfort will give you immense personal satisfaction. (I won't touch that gas contraption... yikes!)

Don't ask him questions about his actions or question his judgement or integrity. Remember, he is the master of the house and as such will always excerise his will with fairness and truthfulness. you have no right to question him. (over my dead body!)

I'm not a robot though, so if there's a serious issue I take it up with him before he can even think about his day and trust me, I can be a b____ lol Anyway, this job I have is all I ever wanted to do and I think this makes my lifestyle very vintage :)

Last edited:

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
For me, vintage has to trigger a memory. I am horribly, tragically and incurably sentimental. If it reminds me of my Grandmother, if it's something she had, even if it's something she threw away (the horror!), I am almost compelled to add it to my collection. She was the youngest of her siblings and remained in the family home. Everyone came back to visit so I had wonderful opportunities to hang out with her older sisters, go through family photos and hear all the stories. I learned about Manhattan cocktails, red lipstick, french twists, Harris Tweed, ballet, the difference between tea and coffee service, that bon ami could be your best friend and eggplant parm from those gals (and they were Irish, lol).

Rue, I'm grateful for things like the right to own property and vote, but I'm also a bit of a throw back to women's lib. If I were married and had the financial flexibility to stay home, I'd have no problem making that my "career". Ah, but there again...my Gram did just that very thing and how fortunate were all of us that she did. :)

Just thought of something else...I'm not enthralled with our disposable society. I'd rather have one good wool skirt than 10 modern throw aways. So, on that score, vintage has a significant appeal!

Foofoogal

Banned
I am horribly, tragically and incurably sentimental. If it reminds me of my Grandmother, if it's something she had, even if it's something she threw away (the horror!), I am almost compelled to add it to my collection.
----------------------
Yes indeed. Too bad we cannot go digging for vintage together or maybe we would be too dangerous.
Recently I stumbled upon a really good place to get stuff. My honey said I now have a mainline to my addiction.

-------
Rue, you will find overall not as many ladies make it to this room for some reason. Over time I have even heard from others that did not even know there was a different room than the Powder one.

rue

For me, vintage has to trigger a memory. I am horribly, tragically and incurably sentimental. If it reminds me of my Grandmother, if it's something she had, even if it's something she threw away (the horror!), I am almost compelled to add it to my collection. She was the youngest of her siblings and remained in the family home. Everyone came back to visit so I had wonderful opportunities to hang out with her older sisters, go through family photos and hear all the stories. I learned about Manhattan cocktails, red lipstick, french twists, Harris Tweed, ballet, the difference between tea and coffee service, that bon ami could be your best friend and eggplant parm from those gals (and they were Irish, lol).

Rue, I'm grateful for things like the right to own property and vote, but I'm also a bit of a throw back to women's lib. If I were married and had the financial flexibility to stay home, I'd have no problem making that my "career". Ah, but there again...my Gram did just that very thing and how fortunate were all of us that she did. :)

Just thought of something else...I'm not enthralled with our disposable society. I'd rather have one good wool skirt than 10 modern throw aways. So, on that score, vintage has a significant appeal!

I so wish I would have had a grandma like that! You're incredibly lucky :)

I agree with you 100% and love what the suffragettes did for us, but I think some of the rest went too far! I know some women can't help working outside the home and I have no problem with men taking a woman's job in the home. I think I just get tired of people not taking pride in housework and family. Like it's not a job at all and you're a lesser human. It really makes me mad when my daughter is questioned constantly about what I do all day. UM..... cook, clean, hello? lol Obviously I have time to get on here, but my laptop is next to the kitchen and I just pop on and off. I don't sit here all day, even though it may look like it. I swear!

Oh and disposable society... don't get me started! I love shopping at Goodwill.

rue

Rue, you will find overall not as many ladies make it to this room for some reason. Over time I have even heard from others that did not even know there was a different room than the Powder one.

Kinda like the hat room lol ~ just kidding! I understand that and everyone has their own reasons for being here, but I'm so glad you two girls weighed in! I really wanted to know what everyone's reason for being here was though. I came for vintage company because I felt so alone in my love for the past.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart