Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where & How Does One Properly Search for 20 - 40s Suits?

G

Gabriel

Hi.

I've recently been interested in buying myself a vintage suit or two but don't know how to search for real suits with the properly knowledge of how to date these things. In addition, I'd also highly find it beneficial if someone could also tell me on how to measure myself to find the right size for myself. I think when I wear khakis I come out to a size 30x30 if that helps anything.

Again, new to this whole suit thing so any details would be highly appreciated!

Mathematicus

A-List Customer
Hello.
If you're not into thrift shops (like me) the best way to find something rest still eBay. You can find lots of "vintage suits", most of which will be from 70s and 80s, but there are almost always interesting pieces. Sizes are the concern: bids in eBay must show actual measurement of the garment, so you should know your own and compare them carefully. Better than body measurement are the dimension of a similar garment that fits you at the best; if you don't have suits, you may begin with your body measurements and after one or two suits bought and tried on you'll be able to deal with garment measurement.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Your fellow Americans will probably give you some good suggestions for searching your homeland. Here in the UK we have 'Vintage Fairs,' we also have what we call: 'Vintage Weekenders.' These are festivals where bands play music from the era. There are many traders at these festivals selling everything from formal attire to casual dress, from various periods of the era. They sell military uniforms, hats, shoes, you can buy original paper patterns to make a plethora of different garments. I've not even touched on the myriad of different bric-a-bras stalls.

For suits, just search for: "Images of 1930's suits." Or 40's or 20's. You will then see the style you are seeking. But buying preloved clothes, from that era, that fits you, will be a challenge. People were smaller in size, for example, chest sizes 36" & 38" were commonplace, but don't let it put you off.

The internet gives you a shopwindow on the world, although you may find yourself paying the local taxes, shipping costs to deliver and Uncle Sam slapping some sort of import duty on your purchase.

Measuring yourself for a suit is relatively simple. Find yourself a tailor, you can do it online, they have a chart of every measurement they need. We have some good tailors in the Lounge, they will help you there, just be patient for them to read your post. A tip though, I have found that by quoting sizes in both imperial and metric, it reduces the risk of getting it wrong. I discovered this with hat purchases, my larger dome comes in at seven and three quarter inch. Some hats were just a tad tight or sometimes a tad big, but once I found out that seven and three quarters is 62cm in metric, hats come in at a perfect fit.

To start you off on those suit measurements click here, to see the chart that my tailor, here in London uses. Happy hunting, and don't forget to post a photo of any good finds that you come up with.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Ebay and Etsy are good places to start. I would also remember to check the 'classifieds' thread on the Fedora Lounge. Members often post suits in there. You could also post a 'Want to Buy' thread in classifieds and give your sizes and explain roughly what you are looking for. Also, keep an eye on the various suit threads, people often post their finds in there and sometimes these include suits they plan to sell.
I would recommend you get together lots of photographs of the type of suits you like so that you have a clear idea of what you want and can show this to others. There are large numbers of photos in the suit threads that might be exactly what you are looking for.

So ask yourself what is your favourite style? Single breasted or double breasted? Two button or three button? Wide legged or narrow legged? etc The world of vintage suits is very wide. After all, there's a big difference between wanting to look like a 1940s gangster and wanting to look like a 1930s German office clerk.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
The girls can't resist that 1930s German office clerk look...

You can say that again - I can't complain about a lack of female attention.

And I actually WEAR the suits of 30's German office clerks. :D

Then again... ironically most think it looks "Al Capone" or "Gangster".^^

G

Gabriel

You can say that again - I can't complain about a lack of female attention.

And I actually WEAR the suits of 30's German office clerks. :D

Then again... ironically most think it looks "Al Capone" or "Gangster".^^

I don't think I know what these things look like or can't recognize them, do you by any chance have any pictures?

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Check the "German suit thread" for pics of most of my suits.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?62278-Show-Us-Vintage-GERMAN-Suits

It's just normal everyday European office/business/street-wear of the period...
Nothing "Gangster" about it (remember that those Gangsters wanted to look like respectable businessmen... of course sometimes a bit more bold/fancy).
But anything with pinstripes and a hat is associated with certain pop-culture clichés nowadays.

Here a few examples:

German

Schwab0.jpg

0000_Bluesy2.jpg

Anzug16-1.jpg

British

2-13.jpg

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Do you use Facebook? There are facebook groups on which members sell vintage suits. Keep a watch on them, you never know what you might find.

Mathematicus

A-List Customer
And yet, I still don't know where these things are sold other than ebay.
Keep searching: only being patient and perserverant you can find interesting things.
Just a (not so cheap) specimen:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/vtg-1940s-T...e-/351306579933?&_trksid=p2056016.m2516.l5255

Another site to watch is Etsy: it's good for you American fellows, custom taxes are really expensive for European. Look at this; it could be also in your size:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/212932...t&ga_search_type=vintage&ga_view_type=gallery

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy