Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where in the World are all the Hat Wearers?

Where in the World are the Hat Wearers?

• US-West (peace, dudes)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • US-South (inc. Texas cuz ya'll talk funny, too)

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • US-Northeast (north of the Mason-Dixon line)

• US-Midwest (only you know why)

• Australia (G'day)

• Europe

• Asia

• South America

• Central America, Mexico and Canada

• Other (is it really cold or amazingly hot there?)

• Total voters

Hoss & da Posse

One of the Regulars
Wolfwood said:
Way to bundle all of Europe (and Asia)under a single point! :eusa_doh:

Anyway, one of the Europeans here, more precisely North-European, which is WAY different from South-Europeans, let me tell you...

Come to think of it, how come Canada is bundled with central americas?

Sorry [huh] not a very scientific poll and it is limited to 10 options...
Originally, the options were to be "The South" and "Not the South"...after all, there is a saying (or at least a bumper sticker) "American by birth, Southern by the grace of God" lol lol

matt

New in Town
Eastern Kentucky currently, but Chicago will always be home. I do have admit I see real hats about once a month or so.

The last time I was in the Louisville airport. I was wearing a nice 60's Lee black stingy brim. I looked to my right and there was a nicely dressed man with a very similar hat on. It always brings a smile to my face to see a nice hat.

carter

I'll Lock Up
A rich cultural heritage.

:eek:fftopic:
In 1821, the Mexican War for Independence severed the control that Spain had exercised on its North American territories, and the new country of Mexico was formed from much of the lands that had comprised New Spain, including Spanish Texas. The 1824 Constitution of Mexico joined Texas with Coahuila to form the state of Coahuila y Tejas. The Congress did allow Texas the option of forming its own state "'as soon as it feels capable of doing so.'" The same year, Mexico enacted the General Colonization Law, which enabled all heads of household, regardless of race or immigrant status, to claim land in Mexico. The first empresarial grant had been made under Spanish control to Moses Austin. The grant was passed to his son Stephen F. Austin, whose settlers, known as the Old Three Hundred, settled along the Brazos River in 1822. The grant was later ratified by the Mexican government. Twenty-three other empresarios brought settlers to the state, the majority from the United States of America
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Texas
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Three_Hundred

Jim Bowie arrived in Texas in 1830. William Barrett Travis arrived in 1831.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/alamo/peopleevents/index.html

Regarding D. Crockett and Texas:

After losing his campaign for a fourth term, Crockett gave up on politics and uttered the now famous statement, "You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas." Sporting a hunting shirt and a raccoon cap -- for the first time, historians say -- Crockett left Tennessee with several men in November of 1835, and headed for Texas.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/alamo/peopleevents/p_crockett.html

tinmanzzz said:

daviejp.jpg

Why there is a Texas

All of which doesn't include Native-American, French, Spanish, German, Czech, African-American and other contributions to the present State of Texas.

We now return to our regularly-scheduled programming.

ortega76

Practically Family
Midwest. Chicago's South Side.

Come and show me another city with lifted head singing
so proud to be alive and coarse and strong and cunning.
Flinging magnetic curses amid the toil of piling job on
job, here is a tall bold slugger set vivid against the
little soft cities

dschonn

Familiar Face
I wouldn't have to go that far to be north of the Mississippi. I consider Minnesota part of the Midwest.

If it's warm enough to wear a fedora in the winter, I will, but those are the warmer days. I usually need to cover my ears lest they freeze.

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
dschonn said:
I wouldn't have to go that far to be north of the Mississippi. I consider Minnesota part of the Midwest.

If it's warm enough to wear a fedora in the winter, I will, but those are the warmer days. I usually need to cover my ears lest they freeze.

Try a pair of those 180s earwarmers or knockoffs. Warm ears + fedoras = ...uh, warm ears plus fedoras.

Iowa.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
New York here

However I feel inspired to ramble on a bit on geographical topics.
This North America issue first: It is understandable to combine Mexico with Canada, only if you're implying North America, other than USA. Others might lump the two English speaking nations, US and Canada, into one category, and Mexico and Central America into another. (Leaving the Caribbean and South America to their own devices.)
Regarding the whole "Midwest" issue, I define it based on which direction the rain water flows. If your rain water flows into the Atlantic, and you're above the Mason Dixon Line (that's the southern border of Pennsylvania to you geographically challenged persons) you're Northeast. If it flows into the Gulf of Mexico or the Great lakes, you're Midwest (as long as you're east of the Mississippi River). This is ignoring the category of "Great Plains" altogether. In my mind, the Midwest is Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, and maybe Iowa. The Plains states are anything west of there, but not including the Rockies. The two regions are different in many ways, but seem pretty homogeneous to the outside world. The allegation that the original town of Dullsville is in one of these states is a gross slander.
It is understandable that the Northeast is slightly underrepresented because the weather sometimes precludes the wearing of a fedora. Having had frostbite on my ears many years ago, I really can't let my ears go naked when it's freezing out. Sorry guys.
To the rest of the planet, I apologize for the Americo-centric world view of my fellow country men. We have oceans on both sides of us that really get in the way of seeing the rest of the world.
And to the great state of Texas, I tip my hat. It may be that the Texicans are the greatest hat wearers in the world.

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
dhermann1 said:
However I feel inspired to ramble on a bit on geographical topics.
This North America issue first: It is understandable to combine Mexico with Canada, only if you're implying North America, other than USA. Others might lump the two English speaking nations, US and Canada, into one category, and Mexico and Central America into another. (Leaving the Caribbean and South America to their own devices.)
Regarding the whole "Midwest" issue, I define it based on which direction the rain water flows. If your rain water flows into the Atlantic, and you're above the Mason Dixon Line (that's the southern border of Pennsylvania to you geographically challenged persons) you're Northeast. If it flows into the Gulf of Mexico or the Great lakes, you're Midwest (as long as you're east of the Mississippi River). This is ignoring the category of "Great Plains" altogether. In my mind, the Midwest is Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, and maybe Iowa. The Plains states are anything west of there, but not including the Rockies. The two regions are different in many ways, but seem pretty homogeneous to the outside world. The allegation that the original town of Dullsville is in one of these states is a gross slander.
It is understandable that the Northeast is slightly underrepresented because the weather sometimes precludes the wearing of a fedora. Having had frostbite on my ears many years ago, I really can't let my ears go naked when it's freezing out. Sorry guys.
To the rest of the planet, I apologize for the Americo-centric world view of my fellow country men. We have oceans on both sides of us that really get in the way of seeing the rest of the world.
And to the great state of Texas, I tip my hat. It may be that the Texicans are the greatest hat wearers in the world.

Interesting post. I have always considered Iowa as part of the Midwest and the Plains States as being West of the Missouri River. I don't base this on any special geographical knowledge. Iowa, Illinois, Minnesota, etc...temps can drop in the negative numbers with windchills at 70 degrees below. Sometimes it's too cold and too windy for a fedora here also. A mad bomber would be the most appropriate headgear on those days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot