Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where is my robot?

RAF Man

One of the Regulars
20thCenturyTim said:
Yes, I think the Doctor would smell an alien conspiracy. Autons, Cybermen, Daleks, something alien must be behind it.

Slightly :eek:fftopic: but the new series of Dr Who started tonight here in UK, and we were treated to the Judoons. A new monster/robot. Not an ideal model to have cleaning your house. Programme was as good as ever.:eek:

Steve

Practically Family
I want one with which I can hold an entire planet at ransom.

lazer.jpg

As long as it's fully upgradeable, is compatible with both Windows and Mac, and has FireWire-ready USB ports. ;)

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Steve said:
I want one with which I can hold an entire planet at ransom.

lazer.jpg

As long as it's fully upgradeable, is compatible with both Windows and Mac, and has FireWire-ready USB ports. ;)

That is perfectly reasonable.

LD

Jovan

Suspended
John in Covina said:
As long as they aren't like the version of Stella the android representation of Mudd's wife. (Star Trek)

Norman, co-ordinate!
We need to be careful not to act illogically around our robots. Shorting out due to Illogical Activity probably isn't covered in the warranty.

This one already seems to have developed a rather... interesting personality. She keeps holding her crotch.

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
Mr. Pinstripe Suit said:
http://www.moller.com/ has a really cool prototype. There are others, but I don't have the URLs any more.

I wouldn't get in one. Anyone that get's into a VTOL craft that can't autorotate is asking for trouble.

There are some wonderfull accessories for that "little gem".
http://www.casketfurniture.com/items.php/casket_accessories.html
item_20061024114501.jpg

Harold Pitcairn had a "Sky Car" back in the 30s, it isn't new. I'd rather have Pitcairn's.

http://www.nasm.si.edu/research/aero/aircraft/pitcairn_ac35.htm

pitcairn_ac-35.jpg

patrick1987

One of the Regulars
Well, I've decided not to purchase from Casket Furniture after all. Can you imagine, they call Art Deco details Art Nouveau in the description for the pet casket?

Jovan

Suspended
scotrace said:
That's pretty cool Jovan, and creepy.

Walt did that years ago, though.

Pirates_of_the_Caribbean.jpg
The movements and skin texture, etc. on the "android" are about 10x more realistic. I can assure you of that since I've gone to Disney World more than I count (I live in Florida, after all. Additionally, she has voice recognition, something the mechanical pirates unfortunately don't when you're stuck on the ride and want them to shut up. -_-

Absinthe_1900 said:
I wouldn't get in one. Anyone that get's into a VTOL craft that can't autorotate is asking for trouble.

I'm gonna dispute that. Anything with some dead-stick "glide" capability oughtta do, even if you need a longer stretch to land in. Property damage is a secondary priority*, as long as I'm down alive and nobody else is injured or killed...

*Not a "don't worry about", just a "deal with later--after the Immediate Problem's resolved."

Jovan

Suspended
If you guys want to see something truly amazing... look up "Jules Hanson Robotics" on YouTube. I'm not sure how much of it is scripted, but I swear it's like something from Bicentennial Man.

Guys, maybe the limited distribution of this technology's a GOOD thing. Does anyone else here remember some of the cautionary notes in The Terminator?

"...our servant may prove to be our executioner."--General of the Army Omar Bradley
Personally, I consider him a backstabbing (unmentionable) who was 2-for-2 on destroying my predecessors, but even I am compelled to admit he raised a valid point. I'll edit the rest of the quote, with cite if I can find it, in later.

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
Diamondback said:
I'm gonna dispute that. Anything with some dead-stick "glide" capability oughtta do, even if you need a longer stretch to land in. Property damage is a secondary priority*, as long as I'm down alive and nobody else is injured or killed...

In vertical flight mode you'd better hope you have a heck of lot of altitude for the Skycar to "hopefully dead stick". Or have that ballistic 'chute open.

Frank Piasecki once told me these non autorotating VTOL craft will be trouble if, and it's a big if they ever can become operational.

Vectored thrust is best left to military craft with ejection seats.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I TOBOR

Anyone remember Captain Video and his Video Rangers? His arch nemesis TOBOR! Scarey. Somebody stencils ROBOT 1 backwards on the robot and he becomes I TOBOR. It was controlled by an evil lady named Atar.
Those early live kids TV shows deserve a thread of their own!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic