Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where is the Spring????

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
skwerl-hat said:
i envy you alls cold weather! its about 90 out west almost time to hook up the swamp cooler :-|
Ditto here. Fortunately the nights cool off quickly, so I haven't had the heat or the air on for the past two months. The problem here is the wind. We have 23 knot sustained winds again today, with gusts to 35. Dust everywhere (and I mean everywhere)... No fedora today!

Flivver

Practically Family
Heavy wet snow is forecast today for parts of central and Northern New England. And I removed my studded snow tires on April first, as required by state law. I didn't really need them all winter, but now...

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
They make studded snow tires for a Model T?!

More wind here today, and I made a foolish choice: I wore a fedora. Wind was forecast, but they did not forecast the 35 mph sustained wind with 50 mph gusts! It was a sandstorm like I've never seen before, and at one point I chased my hat about 100 yards before it came to rest up against a chain link fence. Really impressed the Boy Scouts I was coming to give a presentation to, to see me do a hundred yard dash in about 30 seconds after an errant Hardeman! lol

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I just drove home from work in a particularly loathsome mix of snow, rain, sleet, and hail, and can expect to find six inches or so of "heart attack snow" clogging the driveway in the morning according to the radio.

Excuse me while I cry.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Before last week all the snow had melted.

Now there's two or three feet on the ground, at least. But, then, that's not all that unusual for here.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Golly gee this weather sure is wacky!
So much for the global warming argument:p Today in Boston we saw a nasty mix of snow, sleet, hail and rain. I think that the rate of depression in New England might end up on the rise. It's so hard to keep a smile on my face when spring seems to be so far from reach. Usually this time of year we get rain, but the average temperature is 58 degrees farenhite (sorry I'm a terrible speller:() This time of year we start to get a bit happier, the weather starts to warm, flowers start to bloom, the leaves on the trees return. So, even on the rainy days I'm happy because I know that the warm months are on their way. More people will be out and about, the overall mood of the city changes, no more snow plows and piles of snow on the sidewalk that make walking anywhere or taking public transportation miserable. But, it seems that every year the spring comes a bit later. It's always short in New England, but I have a feeling we won't be having one at all this year:(

I also have a feeling that sometime in my lifetime we will see an official change in the calendar. It seems that, at least in Boston, the true winter with the icy cold temps and the blustery winds and Nor' Easters didn't start til' the middle of February, and now they're lasting through April (They're predicting a very bad Nor'Easter starting this coming Sunday night through Tuesday, so much for nice Boston marathon weather:(). What little spring we seem to have begins between the middle to the end of May and if we do have one at all it lasts through June. June's a tough call. Some years we have lovely temps in the mid 70's during the day, but no humidity. It can be most delightful. Other years we have gone straight from those blustery Nor' Easters right into hot and humid summers. Although last year we did have some incredibly hot and humid days, they were fewer than past summers. So depending on the year, summer can start anywhere from the second week of June to the first week of July. When I was a kid things started to cool down after the first week of September. We did have those few rare days that it reached the mid 70's, but not too often. Now we have 70's well into October, September has many days in the 80's. So, fall seems to start at the end of October/beginning of November, and it lasts through January. We have had a few January's in a row when the temps have been in the 60's.

So, from this wacky weather pattern you can see that the season's time line has obviously changed. I think I'll go to Capital Hill and bring this up. If the time line was changed nobody would be complaining about how spring came late, or that the ski season was terrible, for the change would put our seasons back on track. By this new calendar the seasons will arrive right on time!!:D It wouldn't be odd to have a blizzard in New England at the end of April, for technically the end of April would still be winter. It does kind of mess up the Christmas season. I mean, it'd be kind of strange to have Christmas in the fall and Halloween in the summer. But, Thanksgiving, which is the ideal fall holiday could be what we use to mark the arrival of fall. We are all spending so much time talking about how the seasons aren't actually what they used to be, so why not change that? I think this would make things a lot less confusing, and might actually make people a bit happier:D:p

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
We're having a lovely spring over here! It's been warmer than usual, all the trees have blossomed and we've had no real April showers at all! Hopefully this doesn't mean the bad weather will all return over the summer though.

spiridon

A-List Customer
Daisy Buchanan said:
(They're predicting a very bad Nor'Easter starting this coming Sunday night through Tuesday, so much for nice Boston marathon weather:().

......and to think I'm leaving the balmy Gulf Coast (80 degrees today) to run in weather like this!lol lol lol
It doesn't look like I will get to enjoy any "Chamber of Commerce" weather while in town for the Marathon.....in fact the race officials sent out an email the other day WARNING all the runners of the impending weather situation.:(

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Mojave Jack said:
They make studded snow tires for a Model T?!

The first snowmobiles were jerryrigged here in the Upper Peninsula from Model Ts.

Not that that's important to the snow right now. Just thought it was interesting.

After a snowy, blustery yesterday, Friday the 13th is rather nice so far.

Daisy Buchanan

spiridon said:
......and to think I'm leaving the balmy Gulf Coast (80 degrees today) to run in weather like this!lol lol lol
It doesn't look like I will get to enjoy any "Chamber of Commerce" weather while in town for the Marathon.....in fact the race officials sent out an email the other day WARNING all the runners of the impending weather situation.:(

UGH!!! But, just to ease your mind a bit, the weather reporters are rarely right when they predict storms more than a day in advance. So, you really won't know the weather situation until Sunday. I think the news casters like to worry the general public by predicting these major storms. Just last weekend they were predicting a foot of snow to fall in the Boston area over yesterday and today. We got a lot of rain and sleet but no precipitation. Usually, I'd say 90% of the time the weather guy is wrong. There is an old saying here in Boston "If you don't like the Boston weather, just wait a minute!" That's how frequently weather and reports of it change.
I wish you and your team all the best on Marathon Monday. Enjoy your time in Boston!!

Kimberly

Practically Family
Daisy Buchanan said:
UGH!!! But, just to ease your mind a bit, the weather reporters are rarely right when they predict storms more than a day in advance. So, you really won't know the weather situation until Sunday. I think the news casters like to worry the general public by predicting these major storms. Just last weekend they were predicting a foot of snow to fall in the Boston area over yesterday and today. We got a lot of rain and sleet but no precipitation. Usually, I'd say 90% of the time the weather guy is wrong. There is an old saying here in Boston "If you don't like the Boston weather, just wait a minute!" That's how frequently weather and reports of it change.
I wish you and your team all the best on Marathon Monday. Enjoy your time in Boston!!

Bingo Daisy!!! I have lost complete faith in the weather men after their last predictions. They have been incorrect approx 85% of the time this year it seems.

I am so sick of this weather though. I feel like hibernating which I have done all winter. I am sick of feeling cooped up and want to start wearing cotton and linen instead of wool. :rolleyes:

Daisy Buchanan

Kimberly said:
Bingo Daisy!!! I have lost complete faith in the weather men after their last predictions. They have been incorrect approx 85% of the time this year it seems.

I am so sick of this weather though. I feel like hibernating which I have done all winter. I am sick of feeling cooped up and want to start wearing cotton and linen instead of wool. :rolleyes:

I feel your pain! When the weather is like this I lose all motivation to dress up. I'm so sick of bundling up, I want to wear my pretty cotton dresses/skirts and all my new cute summery shoes!!:(

Dixon Cannon

We had Spring last week....

Winter just returned to the Phoenix area last night! A thunderstorm with hail passed through and the temperature is 54 degrees now (8:30am)! At least the sky is blue this morning with nary a cloud in the sky. A welcome respite before the long hot summer.

-dixon cannon

bolthead

The wacky weatherman says we're supposed to get a boat load of the white stuff overnight into Monday, here in N.E. Pa., to be honest with ya.....I'm really sick of it already, I'm with you all.....where's the Spring time weather already? :rolleyes:

Heard my old home Long Island is getting pounded by storms again. Pretty late for this kind of action but not unknown. I do recall a wicked April when I was in grade school so 1964-66 maybe.

I made the move to Southern California with the hope I'll never have to shovel snow again.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Today April 16 in the Philly region -- a few inches of SNOW, whipping winds that are making the tree outside lean into our window, and FLOODING!!

My husband and I called off work.

WHAT???!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Nick D said:
The first snowmobiles were jerryrigged here in the Upper Peninsula from Model Ts.

Not that that's important to the snow right now. Just thought it was interesting.

After a snowy, blustery yesterday, Friday the 13th is rather nice so far.
So they did! I found this interesting article on that: Ford Model-T with snowmobile attachment.

swapmeet_5386_resized.jpg

Here's another, longer article with a bunch of photos: Model-T Snowmobiles Coming Home to Birthplace That's what you need right there, Flivver. Come to think of it, wasn't that what the Fred Astaire character in Santa Claus is Coming to Town drove?
sccomin.jpg

Nick, up there in Marquette I think you're the best candidate for one of these! How's the pack ice on the shore this year?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy