Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to buy safety-razor blades in Melbourne?

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
Safty Razors

Shangas said:
Do the safety or straight-users here find that these razors give them a better shave than conventional, modern, multi-blade razors?

I agree with all the shaving stuff that has be said above. Also, to reiterate, no pressure on that razor! :D

I find I get a MUCH better shave with a DE than with a modern multi-bladed razor. I really enjoy using a brush and cream/soap (I use both) with it. There is nothing like that routine that gets be going in the morning!

Happy Shaving!

barra063

Familiar Face
I concur with SlyGI. I also find I get a better shave with a safety razor and wilkinson sword blades plus I enjoy the good shave cream and badger bristle brush experience. With the wilkinson sword type safety razor blade you get 2 lots of uses from the one blade. When one side dulls, use the other side. I found using disposable cartridges no matter how artsy fartsy was false economy.

Barra

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Huzzahs all around!

I went to the flea-market today, scored on five NOS razor blades (Gilettes), and believe it or not...a blade-sharpener! All for $30.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Hi everyone!

Well, I had my first safety-razor shave today. Warm water + cream rubbed around and then...the blade!

I fitted my razor with an old Gilette 'Blue' blade and I have to say...the results are quite surprising. I think I still need some practice, but it seems to work very well indeed!

TSWebster

New in Town
Be sure to enjoy it a classic double edged safety razor is a fine tool.

But don't put to much faith in the sharpener, those were intended for the very earliest types of Gillette blades (discontinued not to long after WWI) these were made of thicker steel and thus could be resharpened the modern blades just don't have enough steel to hold a new edge.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I kinda guessed that it wouldn't work with all kinds of blades, but still, I think it's a neat little thing to have. The blade that came with the sharpener is really keen now.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
All that vintage shaving stuff is amusing but after 25 years I find that, having tried everything from straight razors to DE's (which I hate) a basic plastic disposable and a few drops of natural shaving oil does a closer job than anything else. It's the technique, not the tools. Just my view. :)

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I manage to get a really good shave, but I couldn't control my dad or my brother's modern cartridge razors. The number of blades, I reckon, made me feel like I had no control over how many times I let a blade go over a particular area. This gave me cuts all the time. A single-blade DE razor lets ME decide how many times a blade goes over a particular area, not the razor.

Godfrey

One of the Regulars
Welcome to the safty shaving club. I think it takes about 6 weeks of practice to get it right. I'd highly recommend Leisureguy's Guide to Gourmet Shaving as an instructional book. Good information.

Also have a look at The Art of Man as a good site for Merkur safety razors (I have a Merkur Futur Double Edge Razor from there which is pretty good) and also some very cheap blades.

Personally I've given up on the Shaver Shop in the city - limited range and poor quality. My first razor was from there and was brutal. I then bought a Vintage Gillette Safety razor for $3 based on recommendations in the above book and it was a totally different experience - good shave and really easy. I think the bar edge makes the real difference.

gillette-tv-razor.jpg

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I had considered buying myself a second-hand DE razor, but I guess I was impatient. Besides, my current one gives me a perfect shave anyway. I see no reason to change.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner