Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to buy safety-razor blades in Melbourne?

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Hi everyone,

I'm considering buying a safety razor...one of these:

800px-Merkur_heavy_duty_safety_razor.jpg

I'm tired of having to share my father's razor and everytime I use my brother's razor, I cut myself. Modern razors with disposable cartridges don't appeal to me, and though I think straight-razors are awesome, I'm not prepared to put up with all the maintenance of the sharpening, stropping, honing, cleaning, sharpening, stropping, honing, cleaning...you get the idea.

I've never used a safety-razor before, but I think they look neat and I want to buy one. I've already got a fair idea of where I'm going to start searching for one, but what I want to know is...where can I buy the blades?

I live in Melbourne in Australia, and I was wondering if there are any shops in Melbourne that sell the old-style double-edge razor-blades? So far I've only found one possible shop that does, and I was wondering if there are any more? Can anyone help me?

Also, any tips, advice or tricks on using or looking after a safety-razor would be very much appreciated.

Yours,

Shangas.

Flashsun

New in Town
I've been thinking about the same thing...

It's the New Year & time to take up a new way of shaving...

I'm also sick of the standard mass produced shaving products. Time to introduce a bit of style & class :)

Try these guys; not Melbourne based, but they are Australian and seem to have the best prices for a variety of shaving gear (seem to be the on-line warehouse type of business, with products from a variety of original suppliers):

http://www.mensbiz.com.au/

Another good source for this kind of thing is the following UK mob (Mensbiz sells some of their products but not all; worth a look):

http://www.tayloroldbondst.co.uk/

I haven't bought anything from either of these two suppliers so far, but should be doing so in the next week or two I think...

Happy Hunting!

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
All about shaving

I would also recommend another message board that has connoisseurs of wet shaving on it. www.badgerandblade.com

Lots of good information on there and you can hit their Review section and read the reviews of multiple razors, shaving brushes, shaving soaps and creams, etc...

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Wow that looks great!

So...does anyone have some tips on using and looking after safety razors...for a total n00b on the subject...like me?

I started shaving using a cheap plastic, single-blade razor which was about as effective as a butterknife. Then I used my brother's razor, which wasn't much better (the number of TIMES I got CUT was ridiculous!). Then I used my father's. Much better, but I think it looks ugly. The all-metal construction of the old-style double-edge safeties appeals to me much more. And I think they look nicer.

But like I said, I've never used one. So...

What brand of razor and/or blades should I go for?

How & how often should I clean my razor?

How should I take care of my razor?

How often should I change the blade?

What should I be careful of, with my razor/blades?

--- --- --- ---

Thanks for the Badger & Blade website, SlyGI. However I don't think I could justify joining B&B just to answer one tiny set of questions which I'm sure the fine folks here at the Lounge could do just as efficiently.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Shangas said:
Thanks for the Badger & Blade website, SlyGI. However I don't think I could justify joining B&B just to answer one tiny set of questions which I'm sure the fine folks here at the Lounge could do just as efficiently.

Shangas,

Just as The Fedora Lounge has a wealth of information regarding hats due to being the meeting place on the web of hat enthusiasts and experts, B&B and The Shave Den are places to find the answers to all your shaving-related questions. If you have a question as a person interested in shaving, these sites are where the experts hang out. (And no, I don't mean to slight other shaving sites...) Just browsing the sites you'll probably find the answers to most of your questions. I'm partial to The Shave Den; can't give you a specific reason why, but I like it there. They've got a couple of sub-forums that you'd want to check out, the Newbies forum and the Shave School forum. And what's to justify? They're free!

You'll also want to check out Mantic59's wonderful videos on wetshaving.

As for my own experience, I started out with an inexpensive boar brush and soap by VHD (green boxes at Wal-Mart) to create my own lather but still using a Mach3 razor. After about a year I decided to upgrade and bought an inexpensive badger brush (and there's lots to learn about brushes!) and found some shave creme at Bath and Body Works. These made shaving even better, so I decided to try moving to a double-edge (DE) blade. I bought a vintage Gillette Tech (a good, basic DE safety razor) from eBay, some blades at Wal-Mart and, using Mantic's videos as training references, gave it a go.

What I've learned since is that not all blades are created equal; some people think X blade is best, others think Y blade is, and they're both right--for their own face! It's a case of trial and error. Not all shave cremes/soaps are for me; some work better than others. Again, it's a personal issue. I've got a Gillette adjustable blade but haven't tried using it more than a few times... still working on my technique with the Tech.

As for buying, there's always eBay (which is where all of my razors have come from thus far) but check out The Shave Den and B&B classifieds for razors and other shaving-related items.

In closing, I strongly encourage you to spend time at the Shave Den and B&B. They enthusiastically greet newcomers and are happy to help with advice, encouragement, and enabling (just as we are happy to help with all those things in the Hats forum!) I'm there from time to time, 1OldGI hangs out there, as do a few others.

Good luck, enjoy the journey, and see ya around!

Regards,
Tom

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Shangas,
I'd have to mirror Tom's sentiments above. B&B is a wealth of shaving knowledge, and the videos by Mantic are THE primer for DE shaving IMHO.

As to the razor, you have selected the Merkur HD razor, which is regarded as the standard for modern DE razors. It is a heavy piece to my knowledge, so you have to keep the mantra of "no pressure" constantly in your mind.
As Mantic's videos will teach you, the keys to a good shave (for most people) are proper hydration of the beard prior to shaving, a thick, cushioning lather on which the blade to glide, a sharp blade, and proper blade angle and technique.
It will take you several weeks to really get your routine down. Don't get frustrated, go slowly, and use NO pressure. Allow the weight of the razor to cause the razor to cut. Shaving with Mach III's and other devices have ingrained a tendency to press the razor into your skin for a "close shave" Doing that with a DE will leave you bloody!

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Hi Tom,

Coincidently, I'd already discovered Mantic's videos before I ever made this thread and I've been watching them religiously. They're very informative.

It will take you several weeks to really get your routine down. Don't get frustrated, go slowly, and use NO pressure. Allow the weight of the razor to cause the razor to cut. Shaving with Mach III's and other devices have ingrained a tendency to press the razor into your skin for a "close shave" Doing that with a DE will leave you bloody!

I've been reading articles on D-E shaving. Not having to press the razor into my skin is something which I'll be looking forward to. I had to do it so often with my dad's razor, I was getting sick of it.

theinterchange

One Too Many
Reading over this thread makes me want to pull out my saftey razor and give it another shot. My first few times out left me bloodied and beaten. Matter of fact, I have a scar by my adam's apple from bumping my elbow on the mirror and things going horizontal. :eusa_doh:

Randy

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Happy to know I've inspired you! I honestly don't see how anyone could slice their necks open with a safety, or a straight, so long as they're not careless. I'm not scared of using a straight. I'd love to, if I could bother to maintain it.

Do the safety or straight-users here find that these razors give them a better shave than conventional, modern, multi-blade razors?

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Hi Alden,

I found out about the Shaver Shop online yesterday. It's the shop I mention in my opening post. I sent them an email and I'm going to visit them on Monday. I was just wondering if there were any other Melbourne stores which stock safety razors & blades as well, just in case they didn't have them (although after looking at their website, that seems unlikely).

Thanks for the help, guys. I'm looking through B&B & SD at the moment, just wondering whether I should join.

...okay guys, you twisted my arm. I'm joining B&B

theinterchange

One Too Many
Shangas said:
I honestly don't see how anyone could slice their necks open with a safety, or a straight, so long as they're not careless.

It happened... trust me. ;) It wasn't a large cut, but enough to give a slight scar. I was shaving and deep in concentration when the phone rang scaring the wits out of me.

Randy

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
I'm certainly no expert, but I can offer one comment: I started out using Personna blades in my safety razor, but found them just too sharp. I got cut every time I used them. I've since switched to Merkur blades (which I get from The Art of Shaving or The Grooming Lounge), and they're much better. I haven't cut myself yet.

Lou

One of the Regulars
Shangas said:
Do the safety or straight-users here find that these razors give them a better shave than conventional, modern, multi-blade razors?
I get a better shave with my DE than I do with modern razors. The weight of the DE razor and the sharpness of the blade combine for a great shave. As Rob says above, modern razors seem to require pressing. DE's require good technique for a good shave, but the learning curve is worth it.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
TSWebster said:
Just look through this page of the B&B wiki:

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/Australia_shaving_supplies

Its pretty much the Australian master list for where to buy blades and anything else you might like.

Ooooh wow!!

Thanks for the list, TSWebster.

News flash...

I went to the Shaver Shop on Lonsdale St. I bought myself two packs of razor blades and the last DE razor that the shop had at the time (a neat, three-piece gold one). I've since slotted in a new blade. Now I just need some shaving cream (if my brother's run off with his own supply, that is) and maybe a badger-hair brush. I can source my own bowl fairly easily.

Wet shaving with either soaps or creams in the tub or tube are a nice step up with a badger brush.

I gave a badger brush as a gift to a friend a month or so ago. He finally used it and was very happy with it over the bristle type.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner