Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to get a custom fedora?

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

Art has a huge fan club, and he deserves it.

I own two of Tony's custom hats, the Seattle hat is probably my current winter favorite.

I own one of Mike Moore's hats, but it's a little more summery. I also have two on order from Mike, one on the way and one in plans.

I recommend both highly.

Later

memphislawyer

Practically Family
Curious if anyone does the same felt that parker does. His hats start at 150. I see some at buckaroo are 205. Same felt? Or am I going short if I don't go up to beaver and they all seem to be 300 to 350

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
My Virtuoso from Parker is from rabbit felt, and it is amazing. My black cherry is pure beaver, and it is... also amazing. If you asked me 20 years from now, after I've worn them both equally in the rain n' stuff, maybe I'd have a different answer when the black cherry beaver is likely to have withstood better. Both are pounced super smooth. This probably doesn't help you.

seabass

Call Me a Cab
memphis,
Bunny rabbit is good But Beaver is going to WOW you,,, hey they live in water & they hold up well to the elements probably lighter weight too..
Art is having a Discount for FL folks till the end of year Try out his Lite-felt....a good investment & he sends a Conformer to you so no problems sizing you. Consider that a plus if your not sure of your actual size & shape of head.
All the hatters mentioned are fine & Fully Capable to Satisify
Just sayin you can go to a Hat store (not shop) & get burned on a Factory Beaver hat for over $500.00 which might not fit perfect to your head & could be of lesser quality materials compare that to $350.00 for something you will wear & fit properly & last & a good return if you decide to sell compared to factory new.....

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Curious if anyone does the same felt that parker does. His hats start at 150. I see some at buckaroo are 205. Same felt? Or am I going short if I don't go up to beaver and they all seem to be 300 to 350

Well, outside of Hatco, most hatters are using felt from Winchester. This includes most custom hatters. Parker also sources from FEPSA in Portugal, whom I believe supply felt for Optimo. Different hatters may have their own blends or specifications with Winchester however. Art Fawcett is able to get lightweight bodies, and some custom dye runs. It's my understanding that John Penman has an exclusive blend of rabbit felt.

I say if you're going to go custom, get beaver. But I have some fine rabbit hats as well.

Preacher Man

A-List Customer
I'll Add One to the List

All these mentioned are great hatters and like most everybody has already said, "you can't go wrong with any of them." I want to add one to the list, Tim; Cane Rod Maker, also a fellow lounger. He does a fantastic job, stays in touch and keeps you posted with pics along the process. You won't go wrong with Cane Rod Maker either.

tridentine

Suspended
What is the quality of material and workmanship between a vintage borsalino [1950] and say an Falcon Park or an Art Fawcett fedora?
Thank you.

Art's featherweight felt bodies from Winchester, aka ArtLite, are the closest modern felts that I have handled to a vintage Borsalino.
These are 100% beaver & Art's artistry at pouncing. The vintage Borso's are dead felt from bunnies. As far as liners, sweats & ribbons go, Art's are top of the line & hard to compare to a 60 year old factory hat. I've only had custom work to an existing hat done by Parker & he does get felt bodies in rabbit/wild hare out of Portugal.
What is the quality of material and workmanship between a vintage borsalino [1950] and say an Falcon Park or an Art Fawcett fedora?
Thank you.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up

Tridentine; Hard question sir. Borsalino is a maker of hats and as such has many models covering a variety of qualities. If you would offer a particular fedora (brand, model) in question it would make the answer more specific.

In general, my VS hats (offered by Art Fawcett) rival the pouncing of all of the prized vintage hats that I own. Now even this is not a great example, as I have only one vintage beaver felted hat and the rest other (rabbit, nutria and mixes). The beaver felt of today may not be the beaver felt of yesterday, but I am confident that I usually can not tell the difference by gently brushing the felt. The felt provided by the custom makers certainly can come in different felted finishes (furry to smooth and shiny). The ribbon work offered and shown by Art Fawcett are spectacular in thier creativity and quality. The binding, leather band and interior liner are all top shelf.
It is very hard to offer specifics without more specifics to the question.

I believe even more important to the buyer of an Art Fawcett is the ability to have a custom (one of a kind), hand crafted by a master craftsman, the best modern felts, the best of the vintage ribbons sourced by Art and the BEST fit of any fedora you will encounter. I value craftsmanship and find my VS hats pleasing in all ways.

Satisfied Art Fawcett client, Eric -

Lew Decker

New in Town
So, this is the definitive list:

Art Fawcett
Black Sheep
Tony B at Tumwater
Penman
Falcon park
Mike Moore at Buckaroo
Stephen Temkin at Drexler
Steele & Jones
Optimo Hats

Thanks to all the great input.
When I finally get my dream hat I'll post it.

"I deserve all the love you can spare me. And I want a lot more than I deserve. "
- Dashiell Hammett

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Well, you left off Baron, Northwest Hats, Batsakes, and western hat makers such ss Knudsen, D Bar J, Last Best West, Jaxonbilt...I'm sure theres a few more.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi J Lee

I wouldn't have put the Western places on the list since he asked about Fedoras. On the other hand, I know that both Jaxonbilt and Last Best West have fedoras on their list. PERSONALLY, I'd go to the one closest to my home.

Later

memphislawyer

Practically Family
Hi J Lee

I wouldn't have put the Western places on the list since he asked about Fedoras. On the other hand, I know that both Jaxonbilt and Last Best West have fedoras on their list. PERSONALLY, I'd go to the one closest to my home.

Later

Excellent advice. Though I might have been on this forum a while, I have little experience with hats. Bought two in person, ordered an Akubra from Austrailia. Found out that bigger brims do not suit me. So, Buckaroo Hatters (Major Mike) is close to me and for my first custom, I went to him. I got an education from a pro, not that I would have problems with Art or Falcon Park, but I needed to "learn" hats and "learn" what suits me and why something does not suit me. Now maybe down the line, once I know me and my preferences, then I can order up off the internet. But getting a proper fit, holding felts, seeing colors up close and trying on shapes and sizes and brims, no experience can beat the guiding and learned hands of Mike Moore, or some hatter that posts here.

pjt113

One of the Regulars
I own a Falcon Park plus Parker did a conversion for me, both are beautiful. Art is the man, many have commented on his skill and I consider his hats artwork. I did just get a custom from Cane Rod Maker who is starting out his biz, it's an awesome hat. I live in Chicago and have been to Optimo a number of times, they've rebuilt a hat and cleaned a couple for me, while their work is tremendous and their hats are top quality, the price is very high and their customer service is lacking.

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
I really want a Art Fawcett, Black Sheep and Tumwater. Currently have had three falcon parks made and Cane Rod Maker is making one to celebrate my daughter on the way. Cane rod keeps in touch and works quicky and he is the new guy in town. Parker tries really hard at falcon park but to be brutally honest he is slowwwwwwww. On the falcon park thread a customer just shared that he just got his hat he paid in full for on february 9th. Again I like Parker and can attest to his fine work but you need to be ready to wait

TomS

One Too Many
I really want a Art Fawcett, Black Sheep and Tumwater. Currently have had three falcon parks made and Cane Rod Maker is making one to celebrate my daughter on the way. Cane rod keeps in touch and works quicky and he is the new guy in town. Parker tries really hard at falcon park but to be brutally honest he is slowwwwwwww. On the falcon park thread a customer just shared that he just got his hat he paid in full for on february 9th. Again I like Parker and can attest to his fine work but you need to be ready to wait

Good to know...

Jockos

New in Town
Hijacking the thread:

In a few days I might find myself in a situation where I'm able to order my first custom hat, depending on my employer. Thus I'd like to know where to acquire a hat as weather resilient as my Akubras, that can also be made in under three months and shipped to Sweden?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart