Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to live in NYC?

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Flora said:
Anyone live in the Bronx? Hahaha......
Don't laugh! The Bronx has by far the most affordable housing in New York, and a lot of neighborhoods have made big comebacks since the "Bronx is Burning" era. I have friends who love it up there. If you like Art Deco architecture. the Bronx is the place to go.

Rosie

One Too Many
Senator Jack said:
As in any city, neighborhoods and the crime rate can change on a corner. No matter what real estate agents say, stay away from Bushwick (now creatively being called 'East Wiliamsburg) and Red Hook. When I think of more, I'll post.

Regards,

Senator Jack

Eeek! I live in Bushwick/Bed Stuy and as a nearly lifetime resident, my neighborhood is not bad at all. I live in a beautiful brownstone on an equally beautiful tree lined street. Red Hook also with its gentrification is not at all bad, I have a friend who has quite a nice apartment their also, in a lovely building on a lovely street.

Entire neighborhood can't be cast as "bad" there are sections that I wouldn't walk around in the dead of night but come on.

Rosie

One Too Many
dhermann1 said:
Don't laugh! The Bronx has by far the most affordable housing in New York, and a lot of neighborhoods have made big comebacks since the "Bronx is Burning" era. I have friends who love it up there. If you like Art Deco architecture. the Bronx is the place to go.

I second that. My cousin recently bought a lovely two bedroom apartment for 250,000 in the Bronx. Try doing that anywhere else in this city.

Rosie

One Too Many
I think where you want to live depends greatly on what you like. I like very residential, but somewhat chic neighborhoods. My cousin currently lives in Inwood WAY up in Manhattan. I really like her neighborhood but, she is so FAR up.

I like Harlem, there are such beautiful homes there.

Chelsea is interesting but, I personally wouldn't want to live there, just a bit too much for me.

Williamsburg WAS cool more than a few years back, now, its WAY too trendy and just doesn't feel like a "real" neighborhood anymore.

I am on the Bedford Stuyvesant/Bushwick border and I really like Bed Stuy. It is going through a ridiculous amount of gentification currently that I sort of have a love - hate relationship with.

Bushwick is going through the same thing, I think only a life long resident would feel that way or understand though.

I once really loved the West Village and while it is still a GREAT neighborhood, I have a new found fondness for Brooklyn and very rarely even go to the city any longer.

Good luck in your search.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Rosie: I agree on all counts. My office is at 125th and Lenox, and even tho Harlem is about a million percent nicer than it was, and a lot of young poeple form Columbia are filtering in, it would not be my choice. I lived in Inwood for 13 years, and loved it,especially the huge parks. I used to cross country ski in Inwood Park every winter. But it is VERY far. I was loooking at Prospect Heights, in Brooklyn, recently. Some nice areas there. And Bed Stuy and Crown Heights, and yes, Bushwick, have some of the most gorgeous brownstones in the City. Brooklyn in general is just BEEEEAUTIFUL!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24