Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which Aero for those of us who do not have a V shape

bobjones

A-List Customer
HoosierDaddy said:
Think of it this way...
If the body of the jacket is smooth...with a high waisted belt in back..and high side straps well above the waist...and the wearer is..er..lets say..."thicker through the middle"....what is likely to show?
However...if the jacket has a waistline border(or below)with side straps at that level...any..er..overhang...might not be so obvious.;) Just sayin....
HD

Since my portly waist is comparable in size to my chest (gasp!) I think the Hwyman makes more sense. Now if I could only solve the length/lining/color riddle... :eusa_doh:

bobjones said:
Since my portly waist is comparable in size to my chest (gasp!) I think the Hwyman makes more sense. Now if I could only solve the length/lining/color riddle... :eusa_doh:

bobjones
I think that you would be very pleased with the Highwayman. I suggest looking at some pictures of members wearing their jackets here on the forum..to help figure out just what jacket length suits you(+ arm length!!). At the belt line...or well below it. Measure a jacket that you do have from the bottom of collar down the back to the end of jacket. That will give you some idea. Then you can add to that measurement if you decide you'd like another inch or so. (I like my leather jackets to easily cover my belt when zipped). Your final measurement will give Aero an idea of what length you are looking for. As far as lining...I live in Indiana..and face winter weather every year..usually ranging down into the 30's...20s...teens..and sometimes slightly below zero. When it gets below 35..I usually switch to my shearling B6. Above that temp...I often wear my alcapa lined Highwayman untill temps reach into the sunny high 50s..or maybe even overcast low 60s. For me...the alcapa..or some kind of wool(I also have a Doniger tweed) keeps me warm on a windy or damp 40 degree days. It seems most other Aero linings leave me chilled. However...if you are hot natured..or live in a mild climate..then you have more options.
As far as color....you might consider what colors of clothing that you most often wear. Black shoes?...Brown? IMO...brown HH just doesn't go with black boots or shoes...as well....black HH doesn't compliment brown. Cordovan could possibly be worn with both,tho..in a pinch.
If you decide to get this jacket...I think that you will want to wear it as often as possible....so these may be some basic things to think about.
Good luck with your decisions!
HD

bobjones

A-List Customer
HoosierDaddy said:
bobjones
I think that you would be very pleased with the Highwayman. I suggest looking at some pictures of members wearing their jackets here on the forum..to help figure out just what jacket length suits you(+ arm length!!). At the belt line...or well below it. Measure a jacket that you do have from the bottom of collar down the back to the end of jacket. That will give you some idea. Then you can add to that measurement if you decide you'd like another inch or so. (I like my leather jackets to easily cover my belt when zipped). Your final measurement will give Aero an idea of what length you are looking for. As far as lining...I live in Indiana..and face winter weather every year..usually ranging down into the 30's...20s...teens..and sometimes slightly below zero. When it gets below 35..I usually switch to my shearling B6. Above that temp...I often wear my alcapa lined Highwayman untill temps reach into the sunny high 50s..or maybe even overcast low 60s. For me...the alcapa..or some kind of wool(I also have a Doniger tweed) keeps me warm on a windy or damp 40 degree days. It seems most other Aero linings leave me chilled. However...if you are hot natured..or live in a mild climate..then you have more options.
As far as color....you might consider what colors of clothing that you most often wear. Black shoes?...Brown? IMO...brown HH just doesn't go with black boots or shoes...as well....black HH doesn't compliment brown. Cordovan could possibly be worn with both,tho..in a pinch.
If you decide to get this jacket...I think that you will want to wear it as often as possible....so these may be some basic things to think about.
Good luck with your decisions!
HD

Hi HD, sorry I missed this post earlier. As always your insight is both thoughtful and helpful.

I placed the order for my Hwyman, and used the G&B Expedition I have as a basic framework for the jacket length. The Expo is 26" from the neck seam to the jacket back edge, and Will said the Highwayman is also 26" length. It does seem that the Expo in general is a longer jacket than the Highwayman, so perhaps it is just my eye and how the photos of Hwyman owners were framed.

What is still exasperating me though is the color, as I placed it in brown with a black modern stewart lining, but can't seem to be satisfied with not getting a black jacket, particularly since my March 2008 Stockman purchase was in brown. The brown does age wonderfully, and I love the patina on it, but am concerned that I should change my order (given the 4 month wait, I'm sure they haven't gotten anywhere near making mine) to a black FQHH with a royal stewart lining (the USA edition, which is gorgeous).

I have gone back and forth on this like Hamlet for over a month, and what tipped me to order the brown, and what I keep reminding myself of, is that the brown will age better - an important variable for a jacket whose desired lifespan is 30 years +.

Even my wife suggested black since my earlier jacket was brown, just for diversity's sake - but the black would look too similar to my Expo in seal brown goat, a very dark, almost black color - and doesn't age as well as I mentioned. FYI, most of my wardrobe is dark earth tones and jeans, with brown shoes and white sneakers, so I could go either way with the color and most likely get away with it.

Sorry to use you as part sounding board/part psychiatrist, but I have throughly deliberated this for a while without a 100% resolution.

bobjones
Well..it's not exactly small change that we plunk down for these jackets. They will last a long time. Aero has nailed my fit so far..so more than likely yours will be right on. If you did decide to go with black...may I suggest the "vintage" black FQHH. Reason being...the "black" vintage FQHH seems to age better in that color to me. It is already grainy and somewhat pebbly in the vintage hide(even more diff than the brwn hvy FQHH you have)and seems to add a little charactor to a smooth black hide. So you would be getting something more unique than just a different color.
I still prefer the Brown Hvy FQHH...simply because of the way it marbles and ages...but it is understandable desiring another cut and color in the wardrobe.
I don't know if you have this website...but..ponder over these pics for awhile....
Check out the closeup pics of the Aero "King of the Road" in "Vintage" Blk FQHH......

http://www.picturetrail.com/aeroleatherusa

HD

bobjones

A-List Customer
HoosierDaddy said:
bobjones
Well..it's not exactly small change that we plunk down for these jackets. They will last a long time. Aero has nailed my fit so far..so more than likely yours will be right on. If you did decide to go with black...may I suggest the "vintage" black FQHH. Reason being...the "black" vintage FQHH seems to age better in that color to me. It is already grainy and somewhat pebbly in the vintage hide(even more diff than the brwn hvy FQHH you have)and seems to add a little charactor to a smooth black hide. So you would be getting something more unique than just a different color.
I still prefer the Brown Hvy FQHH...simply because of the way it marbles and ages...but it is understandable desiring another cut and color in the wardrobe.
I don't know if you have this website...but..ponder over these pics for awhile....
Check out the closeup pics of the Aero "King of the Road" in "Vintage" Blk FQHH......

http://www.picturetrail.com/aeroleatherusa

HD

HI HD, you may have cemented my decision to go with brown after seeing the 2 KOTRs.

To my eye, the non-vintage, smooth-looking black actually looks more appealing, as the vintage looks a little dirty, "grungy" or "squishy". It looks old - a worn black leather doesn't carry the same "coolness" in appearance as a brown leather jacket.

Perhaps brown is the right way to go, as I will have to suck it up in the first few years when black would have looked sharper knowing that down the road the brown will look better for the long haul. Thanks for your help and patience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace