Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which company uses the thickest goat hide for a G1 style jacket?

JLStorm

Practically Family
Im contemplating having an AN6552 or similar style jacket made (or buying off the shelf). I love Aero and I am a dedicated loyal customer, however with the price increase, falling exchange rate, and reinstatement of shipping charges, I am beginning to look around. It would take one hell of a savings and one hell of a jacket to make me go to another manufacturer though.

On the flip side, Aero is willing to see if they can order in some heavier goat for my jacket since I want a one piece back anyway and they are going to need to find an extra large goat to do that. There will be an extra charge for this, which will bring the total higher. I realize that if I go through someone else, a one piece back wont be an option.

Edward

Bartender
NY's Lost Worlds seem to make the sheer weight of their hides a key selling point.... I've never handled their goat, but I know their horsehide Bucos are approaching twice the weight of the originals. Stuart has a reputation for having a somewhat more eccentric approach to customer services than the Aero team, but if that doesn't bother you I certainly can't fault the quality of his product. Lost Worlds are significantly mor expensive than Aero buying from the UK, but they may even out somewhat on price if you are in the US.

That said, are you sure goat is really what you want? I know that that's what is 'correct' for an AN6552 spec, though it doesn't sound like you're shooting for an all-out stitch-for-stitch replica. The real joy of goat, it seems to me, is that it is tough and yet lightweight at the same time - great for the warmer weather / climates. I have a stock Aero AN6552, and it's beautiful. The hide feels simultaneously lighter and yet tougher than my horse ELC A2 (also a great jacket). If you want a heavier hide specifically, might be worth considering one of Aero's horses instead? I would suspect that a FQHH would be too much for knit cuffs / waistband, but the vintage horse should work just fine, and would still be heavier than the goat.

JLStorm

Practically Family
Edward said:
NY's Lost Worlds seem to make the sheer weight of their hides a key selling point.... I've never handled their goat, but I know their horsehide Bucos are approaching twice the weight of the originals. Stuart has a reputation for having a somewhat more eccentric approach to customer services than the Aero team, but if that doesn't bother you I certainly can't fault the quality of his product. Lost Worlds are significantly mor expensive than Aero buying from the UK, but they may even out somewhat on price if you are in the US.

That said, are you sure goat is really what you want? I know that that's what is 'correct' for an AN6552 spec, though it doesn't sound like you're shooting for an all-out stitch-for-stitch replica. The real joy of goat, it seems to me, is that it is tough and yet lightweight at the same time - great for the warmer weather / climates. I have a stock Aero AN6552, and it's beautiful. The hide feels simultaneously lighter and yet tougher than my horse ELC A2 (also a great jacket). If you want a heavier hide specifically, might be worth considering one of Aero's horses instead? I would suspect that a FQHH would be too much for knit cuffs / waistband, but the vintage horse should work just fine, and would still be heavier than the goat.

I wont deal with LW, the owner is so prophetic about being tough and rough and a real man, that Im sure he is a complete wannabe. Plus he is a pain in the ass.

The reason I am thinking goat is because I want something very thick that isnt very stiff or heavy in weight since it would be more of a spring / fall jacket. I love the thickness of my really heavy steer jacket from Aero which is somewhere in the 6+oz range, but its a bit stiff for a fall / spring jacket. If I could get anywhere near that thickness in a lighter more supple leather Id be thrilled. Plus I really like that deep grain of Aero's goat.

JanSolo

Practically Family
The natural thickness of goat is really limited. Cowhide and horsehide have to be shaved down and trimmed to get to the desired weight and thickness (I have 21 ounce bridle leather belt...almost half an inch thick). But there isn't much of a chance for goatskin to get thicker and heavier than what you can get from Aero or Real McCoy's NZ. It won't (can't) be "really thick" compared to heavy motorcycle hides. The thickest goat I've seen so far is on my Cheyenne. It's thicker and heavier than Aero's mid weight hh (A2 leather) and also considerably stiffer as it's straight veg tanned. The goat on my 1930s HB is similar to mid weight HH but a little less pliable.
Lost Worlds goat is chrome tanned and drum dyed (i. e. processed in a rather modern way). Due to that it feels quite soft and very pliable. Yet it's quite thick when compared to what you get from most US based manufacturers and it has a good weight behind it. Thick veg tanned goat is available from: Aero, Real McCoys, Goodwear, Eastman, Buzz Rickson's....thicker chrome tanned, drum dyed goat from: LW, Gibson&Barnes.
Sorry, but there is no 5 oz + goat...

JLStorm

Practically Family
JanSolo said:
The natural thickness of goat is really limited. Cowhide and horsehide have to be shaved down and trimmed to get to the desired weight and thickness (I have 21 ounce bridle leather belt...almost half an inch thick). But there isn't much of a chance for goatskin to get thicker and heavier than what you can get from Aero or Real McCoy's NZ. It won't (can't) be "really thick" compared to heavy motorcycle hides. The thickest goat I've seen so far is on my Cheyenne. It's thicker and heavier than Aero's mid weight hh (A2 leather) and also considerably stiffer as it's straight veg tanned. The goat on my 1930s HB is similar to mid weight HH but a little less pliable.
Lost Worlds goat is chrome tanned and drum dyed (i. e. processed in a rather modern way). Due to that it feels quite soft and very pliable. Yet it's quite thick when compared to what you get from most US based manufacturers and it has a good weight behind it. Thick veg tanned goat is available from: Aero, Real McCoys, Goodwear, Eastman, Buzz Rickson's....thicker chrome tanned, drum dyed goat from: LW, Gibson&Barnes.
Sorry, but there is no 5 oz + goat...

Well someone needs to breed me some thicker skinned goats!

Ok, weill if goat wont work, what are some other options of hides that can be had thick, but tanned so that they are pliable? I have a 3.5oz Schott naked leather cowhide jacket that is buttery soft and pliable, but just too lightweight for my tastes and now too big so I cant wear it anyway. I want thick and I'll even go for something that is really thick and heavy, but I only like that stiffness that the steerhide has in winter. Im not really a fan of horse.

I wonder if bison or buffalo are a good option?

apba1166

A-List Customer
The best goat I've seen is on the Langlitz Cascade. Langlitz also has a heavy rough cow (kind of stuff they use to make the labels on the back of jeans) that is pretty thick. But if you want the toughest, thickest try ELK. You'd probably have to have someone source it and make it. I have an elk sport coat from the 60s made in Mexico, tough as rubber, although that may not seem like a selling point to most. I also have a couple buffalo vest/jackets...they are not thick and stiff like buffalo hide boots...although wear very tough as a thinner hide in a coat. -Mark

TheSnark

One of the Regulars
JLStorm said:
I want thick and I'll even go for something that is really thick and heavy, but I only like that stiffness that the steerhide has in winter.

Sounds like what you really want is moose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy