Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which decade is the worst in terms of style?

Draggin'

The one style that upsets me the most is the guys wearing their pants below their butt. It was explained to me that this is another prison style brought into the outside world by the offshoot of the thugs and gangsters of LA's South Central and the crossover of all things criminal to the MTV generation.

The astonishing part about it is that those in men's prison or Juvenal Hall that wear their pants thusly are advertising that they will not fight to protect themselves. In other words -it means complete capitulation to pederasts in prison. :eek:

Now if you're going to emulate a fashion - why pick that?

When this came along in the 90's I said it can't last, it's so ridiculous, yet 15-20 years later it's still with us. Maybe it's a political statement?

Gingerella72

A-List Customer
I've just read through this whole thread....I have to agree with those that cites 1990 - present for the worst style.

Now for the worst fashion.....1970's hands down. But they still had style, and knew to dress appropriately for the occasion. It may have been a horrid polyester suit worn to church, but at least it was still a suit!

I wonder if part of the decay as far as appropriateness goes, is because we've become so brainwashed into the whole PC "It's not what's on the outside but on the inside" attitude. Which is true, don't get me wrong....but it seems to have been taken to the degree where people see no need to make a good impression anymore, because hey, they shouldn't be judging me based on what I wear!

And has anyone noticed that the slipping standards in dress has been paralleled by the nation's expanding waistlines? It's all about c-o-m-f-o-r-t now. Stretch denim (which allows you to eat that extra cheeseburger without feeling much discomfort), velour jogging outfits worn everywhere (except to actually jog in), crocs, etc. Although thank goodness the croc trend seems to be disappearing.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Gingerella72 said:
I wonder if part of the decay as far as appropriateness goes, is because we've become so brainwashed into the whole PC "It's not what's on the outside but on the inside" attitude. Which is true, don't get me wrong....but it seems to have been taken to the degree where people see no need to make a good impression anymore, because hey, they shouldn't be judging me based on what I wear!

And has anyone noticed that the slipping standards in dress has been paralleled by the nation's expanding waistlines? It's all about c-o-m-f-o-r-t now. Stretch denim (which allows you to eat that extra cheeseburger without feeling much discomfort), velour jogging outfits worn everywhere (except to actually jog in), crocs, etc. Although thank goodness the croc trend seems to be disappearing.

"Even those who want to dig deeper have to start with the surface." -Miss Manners.

Yes, the battle cry is "Comfort!" but some of the clothes don't look that comfortable to me. A lot of shoes look like they'd fall off your foot if you weren't careful--and I see a lot of blisters from not wearing stockings. Pants you have to keep yanking up look like a nuisance. Stretch denim has some give, but isn't that helpful if you gain some weight or you're prone to bloating. Well-fitting business clothes, for me, are perfectly comfortable.

If the population has an expanding waistline, and clothing designers are finally taking that into consideration, good for them. They're just responding to a trend, not creating it.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Maj.Nick Danger said:
However, we have now had roughly 20 full years of "grunge", time enough for the kids that dressed this way in the '90's to grow older and have kids of their own who have known no other mode of dress! :eek:

I graduated high school just as grunge was hitting the scene. I'm thankful that I was still in full-on goth/punk mode at the time. My elders may not have liked it, but I never went out of the house without my hair done, full face of makeup and a floor length black velvet dress. That's dressing for style not comfort. The only time I dressed in track suits, for comfort, was when I was pregnant or had new born babies.

Katzenjammer

Familiar Face
For me, it's 2000-2010. That seems to be the decade when the average Joe/Jane just gave in and stocked up on sweatpants, Brand X t-shirts, and cheap running shoes assembled in sweatshops. For instance, I don't recall seeing people shopping in their pajamas before 2000, but I sure do see it now (they're comfortable, right?).

I'd much rather look at someone in the most garish 1970s duds imaginable. I can at least find that amusing...but the modern "hypercasual" look is really depressing to me.

I HATE seeing people out in their pajamas. I personally am embarassed for myself when I go grocery shopping after leaving the factory, and I've got dirty clothes. I can't imagine going out in pajamas, I hardly leave my bedroom in mine.

Miss Scarlet

One of the Regulars
I think part of what I hate about modern fashion, is the complete indiscretion, you can have everything on show and for some reason it doesn't matter. No matter how cheap you look, no one actually seems to care.

I've come to love the idea that leaving a bit to the imagination is far far sexier than something like this:
Jodie-Marsh.jpg

which seems to have only developed in the last couple of decades.

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
Miss Scarlet said:
I think part of what I hate about modern fashion, is the complete indiscretion, you can have everything on show and for some reason it doesn't matter. No matter how cheap you look, no one actually seems to care.

I've come to love the idea that leaving a bit to the imagination is far far sexier than something like this:
Jodie-Marsh.jpg

Sorry to have to disagree, but I think those developed in a couple of hours on the operating table...:rolleyes:

Miss Scarlet

One of the Regulars
Hahaha that actually really made me laugh, just my sort of humour (dad thinks I'm weird now laughing in front of the computer). That picture has actually made me start to feel physically sick :confused:

Miss Scarlet said:
I think part of what I hate about modern fashion, is the complete indiscretion, you can have everything on show and for some reason it doesn't matter. No matter how cheap you look, no one actually seems to care. I've come to love the idea that leaving a bit to the imagination is far far sexier than something like this:
Jodie-Marsh.jpg

The pendulum swings back and forth. Right now we are in a freefall with personal and relationship values. The young lady pictured is someone that has either not learned certain values or has chosen to openly rebel against them. In this age we have seen the influence coming from TV with styles ala MTV and rules for treating others and how you act coming from Jerry Springer TV and Reality TV. What was the realm of the minority of people has been pushed to be accepted by the majority of people. Feelings based reactions tend to be immediate and often said without thinking while the advice to "follow your heart" so often come to hurting others. Remeber that all of the dark feelings as well as the warm and fuzzy ones are in your heart too.

A friend described the life style as seen above as "Party People" which you can see at all sorts of events like the Long Beach Grand Prix or skiing at Aspen. It advertises sex, sexyness and/or wealth and coolness as the best lifestyle of all. Young beautiful and wealthy, what does one need beyond that.

However it maybe a trap where the trite shallowness of life leads to excess in all forms and manners to the detriment of others around them. A Scrlptural line basically says "They shall burn with lust and be given over to it." It is much like addictions and from GNR we get a concise roadmap of addiction: "I used to do a little, but the little didn't do it, so the little got more and more."

When outrageous behavior and dress become the norm, what do people do to be ourageous?
Just wait - you ain't seen nothin' yet!

So anybody thinking the Fall of the Roman Empire yet or the Decline of Western Civilazation?

Miss Scarlet

One of the Regulars
John in Covina said:
When outrageous behavior and dress become the norm, what do people do to be ourageous?
Just wait - you ain't seen nothin' yet!

Just to turn it on its head a little in a more philosophical way, perhaps we are the ones being outrageous and we are the ones who are rebelling. Many people think vintage dressers are a bit loony as it is.

Indeed we have all in our own way on this forum decided to dispense with modern values and attire to some extent....just a thought.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Miss Scarlet said:
Just to turn it on its head a little in a more philosophical way, perhaps we are the ones being outrageous and we are the ones who are rebelling ...

I would have to somewhat agree. I know that when I was working (I've been retired for a year now) that part of the motivation of wearing a hat and three-piece suit to the office every day was a form of "rebellion". When the folks in upper management look like slobs (well, don't look "professional"), dressing the way I did gave me a great advantage. Here's a quick story about what I mean:

I was the Safety Director of a large State psychiatric hospital. One day I was on one of the patient wards in company with the hospital CEO and the hospital COO. One of the patients came up to the CEO and asked him, "And just who are you?"

He replied, "I'm the Hospital Director, and this is the hospital's Business Manager."

The patient replied, "I knew you must have been someone important because you were with Mr. Brown."

It sounds funny, but it really infuriated the CEO and COO that their relative importance was due to being in my company. I had many occasions when patients and family would come to me, bypassing doctors and other professionals due to how I was dressed and how the "professionals" were (or were not) dressed. I have to admit, that making "them" look like more of a slob than they were was a good feeling and a motivation to keep dressing "nice." :D

If mentally ill people can look at someone in a suit and associate them with power, influence, and authority, then why can't the general public see the same and try to look appropriate in their dress? [huh]

Gingerella72

A-List Customer
Paisley said:
"Even those who want to dig deeper have to start with the surface." -Miss Manners.

Yes, the battle cry is "Comfort!" but some of the clothes don't look that comfortable to me. A lot of shoes look like they'd fall off your foot if you weren't careful--and I see a lot of blisters from not wearing stockings. Pants you have to keep yanking up look like a nuisance. Stretch denim has some give, but isn't that helpful if you gain some weight or you're prone to bloating. Well-fitting business clothes, for me, are perfectly comfortable.

If the population has an expanding waistline, and clothing designers are finally taking that into consideration, good for them. They're just responding to a trend, not creating it.

But are they helping to perpetuate unhealthy eating habits by giving in and making everything available in stretch?

In my personal opinion, yes. As a current overweight person (who is in the process of losing the extra baggage) I think stretch fabrics are evil. They fool you into thinking you're a smaller size than you actually are, because your clothes just keep stretching with you as you gain weight....there's no physical barrier of discomfort that signals you that it's time to change because you've just gone up another size. (Until, that is, even the stretch clothes have stretched themselves out of capacity.)

For example, when I started my weight loss journey, I thought I was a size 18. After losing 20 pounds, I thought surely I would have gone down at least one size by now, but no, my size 18 clothes still fit. I realized that I was probably in reality a size 20 when I started, but because all of my size 18 clothes were made with stretch fabrics, I didn't realize it!

I also realize in hindsight that over the years as the pounds crept up on me (sometimes leaping on me), my wardrobe choices changed as my physique changed. I stopped wearing skirts and dresses. Why? My thighs got plump enough that they rubbed together and it caused painful friction. The bigger I got, the harder it got to find pantyhose that would fit. So, bye bye dresses.

I stopped wearing nice tailored dress pants because I couldn't find nice ones in my size, plus, the well made ones didn't have nice comfy stretchy elastic waistbands. So, bye bye nice pants. Hello baggy stretchy denim and khakis, because hello....comfort is needed when your belly flops over the top of your waistband! And then of course you need stretchy, baggy shirts to cover up that roll o' flab!

In short, I went from being a snappy, polished dresser to a fat frump because being comfortable became my priority over looking good. Yes, I am guilty of wearing baggy sweatpants and oversized t-shirts and flip-flops to the grocery store, and have worn jeans to attend symphonys and the theater. I was so ashamed of my body that dressing sloppily became something I hid behind.

That was my point in saying that slipping standards in dress have increased parallel to the country's expanding waistline. Sure, there are plus size people that put a lot of effort into dressing well no matter what their size, but I'd be willing to bet that they are in the minority.

Again, just my personal observations. I can't wait until I've reached my target size so it will be easy (and fun!) to go clothes shopping again, and NOT in the plus size department wear pretty much everything makes you look like you're wearing a mumu.

Big Man said:
If mentally ill people can look at someone in a suit and associate them with power, influence, and authority, then why can't the general public see the same and try to look appropriate in their dress? [huh]

In college years ago, the man in the white coat was always considered the expert. The white coat symbolizing the doctor, researcher etc "as seen on TV."
The simple fact is that if you want to be important, you have to look important. Look like a slob and be treated like a bum---it is just the way it is. Perception is reality.
I guess you were the guy to be seen with at work. ;) :p

Gingerella72

A-List Customer
Big Man said:
I would have to somewhat agree. I know that when I was working (I've been retired for a year now) that part of the motivation of wearing a hat and three-piece suit to the office every day was a form of "rebellion". When the folks in upper management look like slobs (well, don't look "professional"), dressing the way I did gave me a great advantage. Here's a quick story about what I mean:

I was the Safety Director of a large State psychiatric hospital. One day I was on one of the patient wards in company with the hospital CEO and the hospital COO. One of the patients came up to the CEO and asked him, "And just who are you?"

He replied, "I'm the Hospital Director, and this is the hospital's Business Manager."

The patient replied, "I knew you must have been someone important because you were with Mr. Brown."

It sounds funny, but it really infuriated the CEO and COO that their relative importance was due to being in my company. I had many occasions when patients and family would come to me, bypassing doctors and other professionals due to how I was dressed and how the "professionals" were (or were not) dressed. I have to admit, that making "them" look like more of a slob than they were was a good feeling and a motivation to keep dressing "nice." :D

I love your antecdote. :)

I remember when I was in the 8th grade (mid-80's) I went to a rock concert with a friend. Because we were so young my dad went with us, but preferred to sit in the balcony rather than accompany us to the front row of thrashing kids.

Long story short, while he was there, a young lady walked up to him and asked him if he was there to "find bad kids." Because he was an adult dressed in a button down shirt and dress slacks in a sea of ripped jeans and concert t-shirts, she assumed he was an undercover policeman or a narc or something. lol

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Gingerella72 said:
But are they helping to perpetuate unhealthy eating habits by giving in and making everything available in stretch?

First of all, congratulations on losing 20 pounds and seeking to dress better.

I too recently lost 20 pounds. I looked nice in pants the next size up--so that wasn't the issue. I think the best reality checks are the scale and the mirror.

I don't think it's the role of clothing designers to be lunchroom monitors--nor would they have any success at it. Recall how many people have been bulging out of skimpy clothes for the past ten years. And thin people can dress sloppily too.

Respectfully, I don't think most overweight people are going to say to themselves, "You know, I've thought about losing weight, but now that size 18 clothes look so nice, why bother?"

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran