Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which decade is the worst in terms of style?

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
AtomicEraTom said:
Big Man, I do believe I spy an International Scout in the background. Was it yours?

No, not mine. I believe it belonged to the father of the girl on the right. At that time I was driving a '62 Plymouth (complete with an 8 track tape player). But for prom night, I drove the family station wagon. It had "advantages", you know ... ;)

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
John in Covina said:
An article by Kate Lorenz, advice editor for CareerBuilder.com.

Young and ambitious, Olga showed up for her first day of work at a transportation company wearing a low-cut top, fishnet stockings and stiletto heels so high she could take only mincing steps. Olga was a head-turner all right -- but for the wrong reasons. After watching Olga get ogled for three days, her new boss asked Beth, a young HR manager, to speak to her about her wardrobe.

"I tried to impress upon her the image of trust and credibility the firm was trying to project," Beth explained earnestly. "I told her that while her outfits were great for clubbing, they were sending the wrong signals here at work." Olga's response shocked her. "She unabashedly told me that she couldn't help it if people felt threatened or turned on by her. She was who she was and those people bothered by it were probably older, fatter and jealous."

Snipped the rest...

I work for a for-profit school. The demographic we serve is primarily a poor, lower-class one: people who were never expected to go beyond high school (or in some cases to even finish high school) or to do anything beyond menial, low-paying jobs in the service industries or factory work in the few factories we have left around here. With the exception of students in Medical Assisting and other similar fields who are required to wear scrubs when in medical courses the style of dress for most is best described as "slovenly."

We have signs on the mirrors in our restrooms that read "Would you hire this person?" but I seriously doubt any of them ever look at what the figure in the mirror is wearing and answer "No." They either do not know better or take the same attitude that they should be allowed to wear whatever they want to wear as the woman in the example above.

Say what you will about the styles of the '70s (and I'm not saying I disagree!) but at least it seemed to me that most people were trying to look decent. Even if your daily dress was jeans and tee-shirts the jeans and tee-shirts were usually clean and in good repair. At least, that's how I remember the '70s. For the most part I was a jeans-and-tee-shirt kind of guy, except at work in the later part of the decade where I wore rented uniforms in the factory. Honestly, I didn't give clothing styles a lot of thought back then as it wasn't something I was taught nor was it something that my friends were concerned about.

Regards,
Tom

Big Man

Tango Yankee said:
... Say what you will about the styles of the '70s (and I'm not saying I disagree!) but at least it seemed to me that most people were trying to look decent. Even if your daily dress was jeans and tee-shirts the jeans and tee-shirts were usually clean and in good repair. At least, that's how I remember the '70s ... Honestly, I didn't give clothing styles a lot of thought back then as it wasn't something I was taught nor was it something that my friends were concerned about.

I like to make fun of the '70's, because, looking back at some of the pictures of my friends, family, and myself, I wonder "did we really think that lime green polyester with that white belt looked good." :D

I would agree with you, we did try to look good decent and presentable. I would, however, disagree with the "being taught" part. My parents would tell me quickly what was and was not appropriate for a given situation. One example would be that you ALWAYS wear a coat and tie for Church (something you just don't see today). I'm glad my parents took the time to try to teach me how to dress, as I believe it has paid off over the years.

If the truth be told, I think THIS decade is the worst in terms of style (at least for the younger crowd). I know I'll get some nasty comments on that, but the younger folks today - in general - look sloppy. The main thing I see missing today is shirts with collars. I see tee-shirts at school, at Church, in town, in the workplace - every where.

In my day, you wore a tee-shirt at the beach. I guess that makes me an old fuddy-duddy. [huh]

davestlouis

Practically Family
I was a teen in the mid-80s and had a friend whose family had social-climbing aspirations. This friend of mine couldn't leave the house without a collared shirt on, and even his polo shirts went to the cleaners and were pressed and starched.

I see my kids' friends and they all look like slobs. On top of the whole t-shirt and jeans look, they all seem to wear their shirts too small, leaving nothing to the imagination. Given that most of them are a smidge chubby, it's not a good look. The boys are always teasing each other about manboobs, and stuffing a 200 Lb kid into a medium t-shirt is a sure-fire way to accentuate that...

Tiller

Practically Family
Big Man said:
In my day, you wore a tee-shirt at the beach. I guess that makes me an old fuddy-duddy. [huh]

What's wrong with that? I'm a young fuddy-duddy, I aspire to be like you one day lol :p. Then again I think I'm a retrosexual... I guess. I prefer the term vintage, but whatever ;-).

Big Man said:
No, not mine. I believe it belonged to the father of the girl on the right. At that time I was driving a '62 Plymouth (complete with an 8 track tape player). But for prom night, I drove the family station wagon. It had "advantages", you know ... ;)

I understand those advantages! I own one myself. What kinda wagon was it?

At least the 70's was a good decade (IMO) in terms of vehicle styling (not so much mechanically however!)

Mario

I'll Lock Up
JimWagner said:
Whenever sagging started.

Oversized clothing worn down around crotch level with 6 inches of underwear pant showing.

barfsmiley.gif

Things can always get worse:

101520-sagging_pants_illegal.jpg

:eek: [huh] :eusa_doh: :rage:

But then...I have to admit that I actually gained some fun (well, kind of) from watching a few selected saggers, namely when they were trying to make a dash for the subway or the bus. It just doesn't work. Full stop. Either they'll end up flat on their nose, they'll miss the train - or they will actually have to PULL THEM PANTS UP in order to make it in time. Ah, well... :rolleyes: lol

Redwoodjedi

One of the Regulars
Mario said:
Things can always get worse:

101520-sagging_pants_illegal.jpg

:eek: [huh] :eusa_doh: :rage:

But then...I have to admit that I actually gained some fun (well, kind of) from watching a few selected saggers, namely when they were trying to make a dash for the subway or the bus. It just doesn't work. Full stop. Either they'll end up flat on their nose, they'll miss the train - or they will actually have to PULL THEM PANTS UP in order to make it in time. Ah, well... :rolleyes: lol

Vile, wretched filth. Everybody is starring in their own damn movie thinking only of themselves. If this is the bulk of today's society's idea of acceptable, we are doomed. I see this and the like elsewhere and I think, Soylent Green to be perhaps a brilliantly prophetic movie. What else can be done with trash like this?

They will scream, "It's America!" "it's a free country!" "I can do what I want!" and I will sigh, "So this is how you wisely use that freedom?"

Idiots.:rage:

RJ

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
That is truly a shocker. If that little is left to the imagination, why bother with togs at all? Just go naturist, full stop. At least naturists have a philosophy behind (no pun intended) what they do. These two are just slovenly bums, and I'd have no greater pleasure than to sneak up on them and yank their shorts down and RUN! lol

Redwoodjedi

One of the Regulars
I will retract my last post if there those that wish it as I just now read the post on Political Discussions and there might be, in fact, those among us here at this fine establishment that see what I wrote as political. I wish to offend no one. I was merely making an observation on society in general (anywhere in the world, really) and nothing more to it than that.

Grunge is grunge. To call it grunge and still wear it? Hmmmm.....

RJ

Redwoodjedi

One of the Regulars
John in Covina said:
Some of us look at the styles and values of youth and wonder how does such a disconnect from reason and reality propigate so rapidly?

I blame TV and the MTV - reality show culture first.

Exactly. Precisely and poignantly said.

RJ

Big Man said:
I like to make fun of the '70's, because, looking back at some of the pictures of my friends, family, and myself, I wonder "did we really think that lime green polyester with that white belt looked good." :D

I would agree with you, we did try to look good decent and presentable. I would, however, disagree with the "being taught" part. My parents would tell me quickly what was and was not appropriate for a given situation. One example would be that you ALWAYS wear a coat and tie for Church (something you just don't see today). I'm glad my parents took the time to try to teach me how to dress, as I believe it has paid off over the years.

If the truth be told, I think THIS decade is the worst in terms of style (at least for the younger crowd). I know I'll get some nasty comments on that, but the younger folks today - in general - look sloppy. The main thing I see missing today is shirts with collars. I see tee-shirts at school, at Church, in town, in the workplace - every where.

So many beans in this broth here. :D
Being taught is a very important part of the equation. Church can be quite a shocker these days. Ok, they are there but it isn't a beach. Don't dress like it is one. However, as we move two or three generations away from a time when people dressed well just to go out the door because they took pride in their appearance, it is obvious that something has not been taught or followed for quite a while. Damned hippies! :rage: ;)
Another thing is when someone is invited to have dinner at someone's house or to go out to dinner in general. My parents taught me that it is an insult to arrive looking slovenly for either occasion. When it is to a person's home then it becomes an insult----like saying your place is a dump so I'll arrive looking like I am going to such a place. :rolleyes:
It isn't necessarily the style but the manners of the people involved. There is a time and place for everything as your grandparents told you. The time and place for t-shirts is as you mentioned. ;) :p

Big Man

jamespowers said:
... because they took pride in their appearance ...

I think that statement just about sums it all up. If you add that a lot of the people today are just plain too lazy to dress nicely and/or "appropriately", then all bases would be covered.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
So many beans in this broth here. :D
Being taught is a very important part of the equation. Church can be quite a shocker these days. Ok, they are there but it isn't a beach. Don't dress like it is one. However, as we move two or three generations away from a time when people dressed well just to go out the door because they took pride in their appearance, it is obvious that something has not been taught or followed for quite a while. Damned hippies! :rage: ;)
Another thing is when someone is invited to have dinner at someone's house or to go out to dinner in general. My parents taught me that it is an insult to arrive looking slovenly for either occasion. When it is to a person's home then it becomes an insult----like saying your place is a dump so I'll arrive looking like I am going to such a place. :rolleyes:
It isn't necessarily the style but the manners of the people involved. There is a time and place for everything as your grandparents told you. The time and place for t-shirts is as you mentioned. ;) :p
You make some good observations.
The start of slovenly dress started with the hippies, and has carried into the present.
I think the worst decades for "style", ( I use the term loosely) were, and are, the '90's to present.
I recall seeing something in a Sunday magazine section of my newspaper sometime around 1990. It was an article proclaiming "The Grunge Look", with a photo illustration no less. :eusa_doh: I had thought at that time that it would simply run it's course and disappear.
However, we have now had roughly 20 full years of "grunge", time enough for the kids that dressed this way in the '90's to grow older and have kids of their own who have known no other mode of dress! :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters