Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which decade is the worst in terms of style?

Edward

Bartender
John in Covina said:
Even in LA and Hollywood where the rock clubs were it was not as shown in the movies. In the early 80's to mix Punk and metal crowds was a volitile mix not peacefully acheived until the late 80's and a sense of cross over was there, yet in film after film punk and metal was shown as the same club crowd when it was in the beginning very stratified, very separate.

A lot of music was very pigeon holed. At a certain point bands like Motorhead, Metallica, Megadeath and others had achieved that reach across the gulf offering that did a lot to bring those groups closer than before.

The film industry always portrayed the most outrageous looks and behavior as ubiquitous in this era when it clearly was not.

You're not wrong, John. And it's a trend that carries well on.... I remember Lois and Clark characters making incredibly, excruciatingly awful references to Pearl Jam and "going through the mosh pit - twice!". Hideous. and then there's those who pick up on a "youth cult" artist and feature them heavily when they're not at all credible or even current - hellow, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II and Vanilla Ice. (Occasionally they get it right: only a bunch of mainstreamers as utterly bland as the Friends would bother with that Hootie Blowfish nonsense, surely?).

The only nightclub scene I think I've ever seen Hollywood get vaguely convincing was the vampire club in Blade. Oh, and though I was too young to be there, from everything about the Pistols I read as an obsessive fifteen year old, it seems to me that Sid and Nancy had the live scenes pretty nailed.

The absolute nadir of Hollywood nightclub sequences must have been the one Michael Douglas goes to in Basic Instinct.... in his lime green v neck sweater worn with nothing underneath. :eusa_doh:

It's all about me. Reminders for the job hunter today.

An article by Kate Lorenz, advice editor for CareerBuilder.com.

Young and ambitious, Olga showed up for her first day of work at a transportation company wearing a low-cut top, fishnet stockings and stiletto heels so high she could take only mincing steps. Olga was a head-turner all right -- but for the wrong reasons. After watching Olga get ogled for three days, her new boss asked Beth, a young HR manager, to speak to her about her wardrobe.

"I tried to impress upon her the image of trust and credibility the firm was trying to project," Beth explained earnestly. "I told her that while her outfits were great for clubbing, they were sending the wrong signals here at work." Olga's response shocked her. "She unabashedly told me that she couldn't help it if people felt threatened or turned on by her. She was who she was and those people bothered by it were probably older, fatter and jealous."

"Just a few decades ago, companies were put off by women in pants or men with scuffed shoes and rumpled shirts," says Human Resources expert Lori Kocon. "Today we're seeing candidates come in wearing sweatpants, flip-flops and tattoos. I'm all for self expression, but be forewarned: If you come in with piercings in your tongue, I won't hear a word you're saying because I'll be completely focused on how much that must have hurt."

"Yes, the workplace has become more casual," Kocon continues, "but there really are limits!" While what you wear to work depends on your industry, company, geographic region and the activities you have planned for the day, most image consultants and corporate executives agree that there are basic standards everyone should follow.

Here are 15 things that are never a good idea:

1. Underwear as outerwear. Camisoles or visible bra straps and lingerie scream "eek!" not "chic!"

2. Workout gear. Save your muscle shirts and spandex for the gym.

3. Soiled, stained or rumpled clothing. Neatness counts. Better to wear less expensive clothing that is immaculately cleaned and pressed than to sport designer grunge.

4. Shorts. Whether of the Bermuda or Daisy Duke variety, wearing shorts to work is just plain wrong.

5. Tattoos. Celebrities like Angelina Jolie have made tattoos seem almost mainstream, but many people are still put off by them. Best to keep yours under wraps or disguised with a heavy spray-on makeup made expressly to conceal tattoos.

6. Extreme hair color. Natural looking highlights are fine, but never dye your hair blue, magenta or other colors not found in nature.

7. Too much cologne. A strong scent is a turnoff to most people. Best to forgo fragrance and opt for the clean smell of soap.

8. Long, fake or wild-colored nails. Keep your nails short and neat. Avoid nail decals, black polish or "Elvira" length nails.

9. Grungy beards. In general, most companies prefer clean-shaven men to, say, ZZ Top. If you just can't part with your facial hair, at least keep it neatly trimmed. (And for gosh-sakes check in the mirror after eating that powder-sugared doughnut!)

10. Micro-miniskirts. Make sure there is no more than three or four inches between knee and hem. You want to be able to sit without giving a peep show.

11. Overly revealing attire. Too little is too much. Breasts, back and arms should be covered. Avoid overly snug fits by making sure there is at least one inch of room between body and fabric.

12. Athletic socks with street shoes. Men, the devil's in the details. People notice these things!

13. Body piercings. Studies show that most people view body jewelry as unprofessional and that people with multiple piercings are less likely to be hired or promoted.

14. Bare midriff. Make sure there is at least one inch of room between body and fabric and that your shirt is long enough to conceal your midriff. Let your clothes show off your good taste -- not your six-pack abs.

15. Low-rise pants. "Plumber's crack" is not acceptable anywhere. Period. Finally, as a rule of thumb: If you have any doubt whether something you have on is appropriate -- go back and change.

Kate Lorenz is the article and advice editor for CareerBuilder.com. She researches and writes about job search strategy, career management, hiring trends and workplace issues.

John in Covina said:

Young and ambitious, Olga showed up for her first day of work at a transportation company wearing a low-cut top, fishnet stockings and stiletto heels so high she could take only mincing steps. Olga was a head-turner all right -- but for the wrong reasons. After watching Olga get ogled for three days, her new boss asked Beth, a young HR manager, to speak to her about her wardrobe.

"I tried to impress upon her the image of trust and credibility the firm was trying to project," Beth explained earnestly. "I told her that while her outfits were great for clubbing, they were sending the wrong signals here at work." Olga's response shocked her. "She unabashedly told me that she couldn't help it if people felt threatened or turned on by her. She was who she was and those people bothered by it were probably older, fatter and jealous."

"Just a few decades ago, companies were put off by women in pants or men with scuffed shoes and rumpled shirts," says Human Resources expert Lori Kocon. "Today we're seeing candidates come in wearing sweatpants, flip-flops and tattoos. I'm all for self expression, but be forewarned: If you come in with piercings in your tongue, I won't hear a word you're saying because I'll be completely focused on how much that must have hurt."

"Yes, the workplace has become more casual," Kocon continues, "but there really are limits!" While what you wear to work depends on your industry, company, geographic region and the activities you have planned for the day, most image consultants and corporate executives agree that there are basic standards everyone should follow.

1. Underwear as outerwear. Camisoles or visible bra straps and lingerie scream "eek!" not "chic!"

3. Soiled, stained or rumpled clothing. Neatness counts. Better to wear less expensive clothing that is immaculately cleaned and pressed than to sport designer grunge.

4. Shorts. Whether of the Bermuda or Daisy Duke variety, wearing shorts to work is just plain wrong.

5. Tattoos. Celebrities like Angelina Jolie have made tattoos seem almost mainstream, but many people are still put off by them. Best to keep yours under wraps or disguised with a heavy spray-on makeup made expressly to conceal tattoos.

6. Extreme hair color. Natural looking highlights are fine, but never dye your hair blue, magenta or other colors not found in nature.

7. Too much cologne. A strong scent is a turnoff to most people. Best to forgo fragrance and opt for the clean smell of soap.

8. Long, fake or wild-colored nails. Keep your nails short and neat. Avoid nail decals, black polish or "Elvira" length nails.

9. Grungy beards. In general, most companies prefer clean-shaven men to, say, ZZ Top. If you just can't part with your facial hair, at least keep it neatly trimmed. (And for gosh-sakes check in the mirror after eating that powder-sugared doughnut!)

10. Micro-miniskirts. Make sure there is no more than three or four inches between knee and hem. You want to be able to sit without giving a peep show.

11. Overly revealing attire. Too little is too much. Breasts, back and arms should be covered. Avoid overly snug fits by making sure there is at least one inch of room between body and fabric.

12. Athletic socks with street shoes. Men, the devil's in the details. People notice these things!

13. Body piercings. Studies show that most people view body jewelry as unprofessional and that people with multiple piercings are less likely to be hired or promoted.

14. Bare midriff. Make sure there is at least one inch of room between body and fabric and that your shirt is long enough to conceal your midriff. Let your clothes show off your good taste -- not your six-pack abs.

15. Low-rise pants. "Plumber's crack" is not acceptable anywhere. Period. Finally, as a rule of thumb: If you have any doubt whether something you have on is appropriate -- go back and change.

Kate Lorenz is the article and advice editor for CareerBuilder.com. She researches and writes about job search strategy, career management, hiring trends and workplace issues.

All of this should be patently obvious but I am sure that outside of this forum, there would be plenty of disagreement.:rolleyes: There could be exceptions for people who want to work in tattoo parlors and piercing shops. :rolleyes: :p

Charlie74

Familiar Face
I really like this "how to dress" list. You would think this would fall into the realm of common sense , but since we have to have these lists, that common sense is obviously lacking in many people. We still get the occassional email from HR reminding folks what is and is not proper work attire.

When I first started working with my company, it was shirt and tie required for men. I had a friend who was retiring who gave me over 40 Gucci ties, some brand new. Then we went to business casual and ties dissappeared.

I now wear ascots to the office and occassionally a necktie. I have never felt comfortable with the open collar, bare throat look. I enjoy dressing for work and not looking as if I am headed to the supermarket.. It seems today that most people want to look like "Price is Right" contestants. If you have ever watched that show, you know exactly what I mean.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
I always like to tell the story of how I fell in love with vintage neckties. I was working as a photographer for a small Iowa daily newspaper. On some days my assignments ranging from rural/agriculture to corporate office shots. One day I had assignment at the country club following shortly after a shot in a barnyard. I thought I had a 'midway' outfit on. Well, my luck, my newspaper's publisher was in attendance of fifty-plus suits-and-ties. The next morning he set a fairly strict dress code for me....dress slacks and necktie. I owned no ties at that time so I went down to the Salvation Army store and picked out what I thought was the ugliest one I could find and wore it everyday for a month. By then, though, he'd sort of forgotten about his rule and I went back to blue jeans. But by then I had also developed an affection for those 'ugly' 1940s ties and haven't stopped buying and wearing them ever since...lol

Quigley Brown said:
I always like to tell the story of how I fell in love with vintage neckties. I was working as a photographer for a small Iowa daily newspaper. On some days my assignments ranging from rural/agriculture to corporate office shots. One day I had assignment at the country club following shortly after a shot in a barnyard. I thought I had a 'midway' outfit on. Well, my luck, my newspaper's publisher was in attendance of fifty-plus suits-and-ties. The next morning he set a fairly strict dress code for me....dress slacks and necktie. I owned no ties at that time so I went down to the Salvation Army store and picked out what I thought was the ugliest one I could find and wore it everyday for a month. By then, though, he'd sort of forgotten about his rule and I went back to blue jeans. But by then I had also developed an affection for those 'ugly' 1940s ties and haven't stopped buying and wearing them ever since...lol

Forced tie submission. ;) :p

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
John in Covina said:

I actually like the idea of the vast majority of this list being applicable outside of the workplace - especially 15!

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Charlie74 said:
I really like this "how to dress" list. You would think this would fall into the realm of common sense , but since we have to have these lists, that common sense is obviously lacking in many people. We still get the occassional email from HR reminding folks what is and is not proper work attire.

I once interviewed a young woman for a PA role, and she was wearing a black top with a neckline that plunged so low you could see her bellybutton. Like that green Versace dress Jennifer Lopez wore a few years ago. She didn't get the job.

Tiller

Practically Family
I have to say the 70's hands down. I really can't hate the 80's since it saw the rise of the Young Fogey's in the UK, and the return of the 50's Ivy League look for a little while here in the USA.

After that 70's its a tie between the 00's and the 90's. Although I do like the 1890's lol ;).

FountainPenGirl

One of the Regulars
I agree with the '70's. You can wear just about any era from the 1890's to today, walk out in public today and not look as weird as you would wearing '70's. A friend and I were looking back at some catalogs from about 1970,'71 and were really laughing at the fact that at the time we didn't think that stuff was as funny looking as it is.lol

FountainPenGirl said:
I agree with the '70's. You can wear just about any era from the 1890's to today, walk out in public today and not look as weird as you would wearing '70's. A friend and I were looking back at some catalogs from about 1970,'71 and were really laughing at the fact that at the time we didn't think that stuff was as funny looking as it is.lol

I hated it then and I still hate it now. The 70s was just a period of total fashion insanity. It sort of fit the period though. :rolleyes:

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
jamespowers said:
I would have to see that. I don't remember any women wearing anything very interesting in the 70s. Yes, I mean Charlie's Angels too. ;)

Untitled-1-15.jpg
[/IMG]

:)

Helysoune

One of the Regulars
I'd wear the yellow vesty coat-thing by itself, as shown in the furthest back example, but that's it. Jumpsuits...yick. And what were people thinking bringing them back?!?!?! They were bad enough the first time around!

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
jamespowers said:
lol lol lol lol You're kidding right? lol lol lol
Women out there---would you wear this now? :eek:

I'm kidding... :D It sure is fun to look back on that era, though. The one in the blue jumpsuit looks like Lisa Kudrow, but she'd be 11 then...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IGDS