Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which decade is the worst in terms of style?

Mr_D.

A-List Customer
The 1980's by far.

20080323123606fr0.jpg

Need I say more

The Good

Call Me a Cab
While I don't agree with many of their beliefs, I don't hate the hippies as a people (apparently they're still around), but I don't find their clothing choices to be very respectable either; too garish, ragged, and as they would say, "far out." Not for me, anyway.

Vintage lover

A-List Customer
In terms of practicality, i would say the medieval ages. Imagine wearing a metal suit of armor in the summer. And lets not forget that you really couldn't get up if you fell down. And concerning modern times, 80's-90's, the "pants so big you have to hold them up yourself even with a belt" look is still popular here....unfortunately

StetsonHomburg

Practically Family
J B said:
Now that's an interesting way to rank the decades. Is this along the lines of "least bad to worst?"
No it is more of that I personally feel that scince the golden age
style isn't what it used to be... :(
(They all in their own way are pretty bad styles, I wasn't ranking them
when I wrote that)

retroladybird

New in Town
I think I echo some previous comments with my view on the worst decade for style.

I personally feel the current time is; everything in the high street is shapeless, cheap looking and just downright ugly. It is fashionable to wear clothes that represent the throwaway society by how flimsy and poorly made they look.
And people simply have no sense of dignity any more. Women become famous for how little they can wrap around their fake tanned fake boobs and it's somehow desirable to copy them.

And the shoes... I have never seen such an ugly bunch of footwear as all of those things that look like ankle boots with open toes and 6 inch heels.

My daughter (a mature 8 yrs old) is interested in some horrific stuff that simply isn't suitable for children. Worse still, my 'fashion concious' parents will buy it for her so she then thinks it's the best thing ever.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
John in Covina said:
By 2020 we will all be required to wear some sort of color coded sweatsuit/tracksuit based Nehru or Mao jacket combo for the common people.:eusa_doh:

You're wrong in the details John. We can wear whatever we want to, but stores and manufacturers won't be allowed to deduct their health care taxes from their recreational drug taxes unless they only sell organically grown polyester Nehru tracksuits in blue (for blue states of course). The organically grown polyester will come from the polyester farms off the Gulf Coast...

lol

Only one cup of coffee today too.

StetsonHomburg

Practically Family
retroladybird said:
I think I echo some previous comments with my view on the worst decade for style.

I personally feel the current time is; everything in the high street is shapeless, cheap looking and just downright ugly. It is fashionable to wear clothes that represent the throwaway society by how flimsy and poorly made they look.
And people simply have no sense of dignity any more. Women become famous for how little they can wrap around their fake tanned fake boobs and it's somehow desirable to copy them.

And the shoes... I have never seen such an ugly bunch of footwear as all of those things that look like ankle boots with open toes and 6 inch heels.

My daughter (a mature 8 yrs old) is interested in some horrific stuff that simply isn't suitable for children. Worse still, my 'fashion concious' parents will buy it for her so she then thinks it's the best thing ever.
:arated:

Derek WC

Banned
I agree with Stetson Homburg, the 1960's to now are the worst... of course the B.D. 20,000's were probably worse considering they didn't wear anything.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Leutnant said:
The 70's...polyester Leisure Suits...need I say more...

Beware! Don't look! :eek:

outfitentire_sm.jpg

plaidstallions.jpg

I told you not to look!

But while we're at 'it' (that is, the 70's):

pajama3.jpg

uncool2.jpg

This is where all the old tablecloth ends up:

uncool.jpg

The problem is that you can't use peroxide to bleach your eyes now as it only works on natural dyes - and those garments are clearly and utterly denatured in a most frightening way! :eek:

I think I could do with a good frontal lobotomy now...

Carnage

One of the Regulars
In the UK I would have to say the 1990s, because at the early part of the decade we were brought a resurgence in shell suits, bum bags and kappa type jackets.

Not only was it the worst in terms of style it was also the most flammable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran