Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which decade is the worst in terms of style?

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
AmateisGal said:

Oh, my word! And I lived through that?!*yucky* Kind of reminds me of Rodney Dangerfield in Caddy Shack. (On a note, terrycloth was certainly popular that year, wasn't it?) Another reason to vote '70s (although late '60s hippy "fashion" is neck-in-neck). Fortunately, I spent most of that year in cords, jeans, and polo shirts...although I have to admit to owning at least one super-wide belt and a disco shirt which sported Tolkein-inspired designs.:eek:

Vintage lover

A-List Customer
Whether you are a: adult film star
Ron_Jeremy3.jpg

Kim Jong Il
070529_kimjong-ill_vmed_12p.widec.jpg

a picnic blanket
picnic2.jpg

or insane
Charles+Manson+cm.png

THE 70's ARE FOR YOU!(I will let you decide if that is a good thing or not)

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Widebrim said:
...one super-wide belt and a disco shirt which sported Tolkein-inspired designs.:eek:

My english teacher in high school called me twiggy because I wore really wide belts (3" or so). How I managed to fit those into standard loops is beyond me. I definitely would have worn Tolkien inspired shirts if I knew they existed. Actually, please make sure I never see one, or I will wear it. That sounds both amazing and horrifying. By the way, this was just 5 or 6 years ago. I have been bouncing decades for a while now. (I was big into boot cut corduroys for a while). I am rather glad I settled on my amorphous 30s/40s. I feel that it is much more flattering.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
As flamboyant and poor taste as the Peacock Revolution-inspired 1970s was, unlike today, there were at least more people wearing shirts with actual collars on them (however exaggeratedly wide), and in the office workplace environment, even more suits than now.

Warden

One Too Many
~Whenever sagging started.

Oversized clothing worn down around crotch level with 6 inches of underwear pant showing.

I am with you on this one. Really cannot stand this.

Harry

olive bleu

One Too Many
As the mother of a teenager who ,on occasion, will leave the house in those 'saggy-crotch-ed-pants" i chalk it up to sheer muscle control. How someone can walk down the street wearing pants that are least 5 sizes too big, sans belt, and not have them in a puddle about their ankles is raw talent. with skills like that, i keep urging him to join the circus.;)

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
Olive Bleu: As the mother of a teenager who ,on occasion, will leave the house in those 'saggy-crotch-ed-pants" i chalk it up to sheer muscle control. How someone can walk down the street wearing pants that are least 5 sizes too big, sans belt, and not have them in a puddle about their ankles is raw talent. with skills like like, i keep urging him to join the circus.

lol lol lol lol

olive bleu

One Too Many
Seriously though..in regards to the WORST decade it had to be the 70's. With apologies to the gentlemen who may have dressed like this..and I'm sure you were lovely..if i were coming of age in a day when men dressed like this, I'm positive i would still be single.

mens-fashion-70s.jpg

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Hey, who doesn't love Freddie from Scooby Doo? But where's the ascots?

Meanwhile, speaking of low-hanging pants, how about the worst trend of the last twenty years: the popularity of low-waisted jeans on men who wear them cinched below a protruding beer belly, with said belly usually veiled by an untucked t-shirt worn like a maternity smock? I guess the theory here is that the wearer can say "I'm not fat, I've been wearing size 34 pants since I was 22," but all it does is make the wearer look like he has little stumpy legs and the overall physique of Mr. Potato Head. It's the male equivalent of women's vanity-sizing, and it's just as ridiculous.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran