Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which decade is the worst in terms of style?

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
Gil: They actually pay hard cash for jeans that are manufactured with worn spots, tears, and even worse.... grease stains on the fronts of the pant legs. I worked in a garage in the '80's and that's what my work pants looked like because I'd actually spilled oil and done dirty work in them. The kids strut around bragging about how much they paid for them and what lable they carry, when they could've found nicer stuff in a dumpster.

This is another thing I never quite understood...buying 'aged' clothing when one can do it themselves...or get it cheaper at a thrift store, yard sale, garage sale...

[huh]

shortbow

Practically Family
This one.

I was out for lunch today and I saw a man of about 65 wearing an electric blue sleeveless t-shirt, tie-dyed rainbow shorts, silver wrap-around shades, a fatigue cap and rubber sandals and---a ring in his ear.lol

I'm not kidding. I see this sort of getup all the time now.

Lord only knows what folks think of me in my 75-year-old-style working man/outdoorsman's togs.

shortbow said:
This one.

I was out for lunch today and I saw a man of about 65 wearing an electric blue sleeveless t-shirt, tie-dyed rainbow shorts, silver wrap-around shades, a fatigue cap and rubber sandals and---a ring in his ear.lol

Sounds like an old hippie from the 1970s who just won't change or just got worse. [huh] You could see that around here all the time in the 70s---except he would be wearing buffalo sandals instead. :rolleyes: :p

Geesie

Practically Family
John in Covina said:
This is a point I have said several times. There is a trend towards the idea of looking "cool" that is a pursuit of looking skanky, evil or dangerous. :eek: (However everytime I raise the point I get called "judgemental.")

Trying to look cool by emulating what is "evil" or "dangerous"? Well I never!
rebel-without-a-cause-1.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
We're living in it right now. Slob style is king. While the 70's had its share of eyesores at least men wore suits, sportcoats, ties, dress shoes, etc.....on a regular basis. And their clothes actually fit!

Tomasso said:
We're living in it right now. Slob style is king. While the 70's had its share of eyesores at least men wore suits, sportcoats, ties, dress shoes, etc.....on a regular basis. And their clothes actually fit!

Yes, Leisure Suits, car salesman sportcoats, horrendously ugly ties, white shoes and matching belts etc on a regular basis. lol lol :p
There has been a devolution since then as well though green and brown appliances and shag carpet have not come back yet. :eusa_doh:

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Prien said:
This is another thing I never quite understood...buying 'aged' clothing when one can do it themselves...or get it cheaper at a thrift store, yard sale, garage sale...

[huh]

I know that as this is a message board consisting mainly of hat enthusiasts, this may be seem a bit rude, I hope not, but I don't think I really get the distressed hat thing. I see them on some websites selling or manufacturing them. For example, cowboy/western hats. You may have seen the pictures and know what I'm talking about.

085.jpg

In my opinion, it's more enjoyable to wear-out a hat by actually wearing it through all sorts of weather conditions, sweating in it to stain it naturally, and doing actual work in general. That's what constitutes an authentic, distressed hat.

Tomasso said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but generally speaking, wasn't 1970s clothing more "tight" fitting than most modern counterparts?

J B said:
I know that as this is a message board consisting mainly of hat enthusiasts, this may be seem a bit rude, I hope not, but I don't think I really get the distressed hat thing. I see them on some websites selling or manufacturing them. For example, cowboy/western hats. You may have seen the pictures and know what I'm talking about.

085.jpg

In my opinion, it's more enjoyable to wear-out a hat by actually wearing it through all sorts of weather conditions, sweating in it to stain it naturally, and doing actual work in general. That's what constitutes an authentic, distressed hat.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but generally speaking, wasn't 1970s clothing more "tight" fitting than most modern counterparts?

More tight fitting in all the wrong places--think Saturday Night Fever suits. *yucky*
The whole distreesed clothing thing makes me think that people are so lazy that they don't want to wear something in. They just buy it that way in the first place. :rolleyes:

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
J B said:
The fashion suits were more closely fitted (as they are today), but you must remember that a large portion of men wore rather conservative cuts from the likes of Brooks Brothers, Hickey Freeman, HSM, etc....Not everyone was wearing a disco suit.

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
Tomasso said:

I agree. At least back then we knew how to pull our pants up above our a$$es!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
J B said:

085.jpg

Isn't this what the Texas folks refer to as "all hat and no cattle?"

Honey Bee

One of the Regulars
LizzieMaine said:
Isn't this what the Texas folks refer to as "all hat and no cattle?"

Now, now...just 'cause we don't raise cattle anymore, doesn't mean we can't wear the hat....The Mister still works on ranches throughout the county and he has several hats that look worse for wear and the one posted above would be still considered in good condition!
Thinking about posting them on EBay for the good folks who want to play the part :)

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi, long ago (1980's) I reenacted the 9th Texas Infantry. One of our boys had a full Beaver Stenson that he'd purchased new in the 1960's and worn daily since then. He looked like the pictures of a civil war vet. He drove a cattle truck from Dodge City to who knows where, and his hat looked like it. It was originally Silver belly, but had serious sweat stains, a hole or two in the top, and it was floppy.

Later

The Good

Call Me a Cab
1961MJS said:
Hi, long ago (1980's) I reenacted the 9th Texas Infantry. One of our boys had a full Beaver Stenson that he'd purchased new in the 1960's and worn daily since then. He looked like the pictures of a civil war vet. He drove a cattle truck from Dodge City to who knows where, and his hat looked like it. It was originally Silver belly, but had serious sweat stains, a hole or two in the top, and it was floppy.

Later

Now that's a hat with some serious character, and one I wouldn't mind seeing a picture of... I enjoy looking at photographs of well-worn fur felt hats, in general. As well as nice, mint-condition ones. ;)

I agree. At least back then we knew how to pull our pants up above our a$$es!

Right, low-rise is the dominating trend... even older guys are doing it these days, maybe not quite so low as the hipsters, but generally pretty well below where the navel would lie. At least it looks that way, from what I've seen in person. As far as my usual rise is concerned, I wear pants no lower than about an inch below the navel, it's usually at or around it, basically. I don't think I've ever worn real high-rise trousers. I would certainly wear them with the right clothing, but I think I prefer a medium rise.

Here's a scary thought. Hoodies, sweats, sagging, jammies as daywear and all the other fashion monstrosities of today that assail our sensibilities may jolly well be considered "vintage" sometime in a (hopefully) distant future. I hope I do not live to see that day. I shudder to think what "modern" will look like by that time.

HepKitty

One Too Many
80s. hands down. 70s are close, and the current slob tendencies are pretty lame. it's sad because if you dress up, people make snide comments

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24