Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which decade is the worst in terms of style?

Chas

One Too Many
Some kid somewhere was looking through a family photo album.
"Hey, dad! Who is this?"
"Oh, That's your mum and your Aunt Betty."
"wow....that's....uh....wow....REALLY?"

hair_hoppers_3.jpg

p71towny

Familiar Face
1970s and 1980s hands down. Don't get me wrong, I love the pop culture from that time but everything else was horrible. Cool cars were very far and few between. Everything is boring now, but at least it's not gaudy like back then.

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
There is no doubt at all the the years from 1972 to about 1985 have to serve as the worst styles in American history. Leisure suits? Disco? Platform Shoes? Afros on men? Come on. NOTHING could be worse. Nothing.

WineGuy

A-List Customer
Definitely the 70's! I'm still carrying the emotional scars of wearing corduroy flairs, tie dyed T-shirts, wide collars, mutton chop side burns, clunky shoes...and worst of all...I took disco lessons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW: Who else besides me hates the new look of TFL?

annet

One of the Regulars
i'm kind of happy to say i was born in 1989. i've been a child in the 90s so never really had to put up with the fashion then-or i just didn't care. i do have to say the early 2000s were awful too: jeans were getting lower while tops were still short! i remember having a cold back veyr often. and those shorter tops (i mean the ones that ended at the top of my hipbone) were really unflattering on me.

when i was twelve almost every girl wore a mini skirt on their hips with sneakers as high as boots, spaghetti strap tops, giant hoop earrings and frizzy hair in a messy bun. and they kept applying thick coats of lipgloss. glad to say i never really fit in!

Femme Fatale

New in Town
80s-90s

I would have to say late 80s-early 90s. I was born in 85 so I don't remember much but what I do remember are parachute pants and flat tops with rat tails. If you weren't into that you had on pants so high and tight they should be illegal and day glow EVERYTHING. Though I did have a day glow shirt that changed colors that said " Can't touch this" that I was quite fond of, this era was fashion roadkill.

90s2.jpg

eek!

90s-fashions1.jpg

no, no, no, noooooo (my apologies for the large image)

user1632_1154134920.jpg

They were smiling to hide the pain from wearing those jeans

marcoshark

New in Town
Agreed! The only thing good for the 70's for me at least on a personal level was High School, and a certain music scene that was happening in NY's East Village! Everything else, I just didn't fit in at all! I was strictly a jeans and T-shirt/Triangle Army/Navy kind of kid. I drove my poor parents nuts when having to buy "good" clothes (there are pictures of me wearing the worst of the lot.. a friggin Leisure suit!) and was very happy to use my after school work money on anything decent I could get my hands on.

(as for the new look, I've seen much worse!)

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Definitely the 70's! I'm still carrying the emotional scars of wearing corduroy flairs, tie dyed T-shirts, wide collars, mutton chop side burns, clunky shoes...and worst of all...I took disco lessons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW: Who else besides me hates the new look of TFL?

Ironically, one thing about 1970s style I do kind of like are sideburns. In fact, I'm trying to grow some right now (earlobe length). But the hairstyles I favor and sport are 1950s to early 1960s... think of standard business styles of the era, or the so-called "Executive Contour." Hmm, not a very consistent combination... Anyway, I think mutton chop sideburns had their origins in the 19th century, so they can still be "traditional," somewhat.

Last edited:

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Those who opine any other era than today cannot see the forest through the trees.

Helpdesk Man

New in Town
I'd vote for both '70s and '80s, and also early part of the '90s. The thing I probably dislike most in clothes are those godawful colours from the '80s and shoulderpads in the late '80s and early '90s.

If I'd have to choose one decade, and only for the fashion in clothing and interior decoration (not music, movies/tv etc.) it would be the '70s.

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
Good thing they're going to Heaven, that hair looks highly flammable.... :p

I can hear John Waters in my head, saying, "Definitely a hair-don't"! I could take the mick out of this cover 100 ways to Sunday (should we be being used by Jesus on the Sabbath?), but it's waaaaaay to easy. (Just one, doesn't the one on the left look a bit like Brendan Fraser?)

Chas

One Too Many
The thing that sticks in my memories of the hippies - there were lots of them in my little British Columbian coastal town- was their universal disdain for personal hygiene. I imagine that a lot of them had to steel their olfactory senses in the persuit of "free love".

The thing that sticks in my memories of the hippies - there were lots of them in my little British Columbian coastal town- was their universal disdain for personal hygiene. I imagine that a lot of them had to steel their olfactory senses in the pursuit of "free love".

Oh yes, that is why I refer to them as dirty, filthy, maggot-infested hippies.:eek:*yucky*
You think you had them around you? We were the mecca area for them. :eusa_doh:
You ever notice how they were attracted to water for some reason---even though they obviously didn't want to wash with it?[huh]

annet

One of the Regulars
Oh yes, that is why I refer to them as dirty, filthy, maggot-infested hippies.:eek:*yucky*
You think you had them around you? We were the mecca area for them. :eusa_doh:
You ever notice how they were attracted to water for some reason---even though they obviously didn't want to wash with it?[huh]

three of my uncles were hippies in the seventies...

now they are lawyers.

still makes me smile.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buick