Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which decade is the worst in terms of style?

The Good

Call Me a Cab
OK, this may be an unpopular opinion here, but I think some girls can do bellbottoms quite well. Not like those in any of the pictures above though... more subtle, maybe more like the modern "bootcut" style of jeans that seems to be fairly common enough.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Packin' Heat said:
They can't exactly be used as the model of the average style in the 60's, though.

Nah, when I think of what the average adult wore during the 1960s, I think of (to use something of a generalization) the Mad Men-esque look.

J.B I'll send you a leisure suit! John

If you mean me, uh, no thanks lol.

Gilboa

One of the Regulars
I do actually like wide leg trousers, it all depends what fabric they are made off and who is wearing them. Personally I love them in summer when its hot, the legs are nicely aired, yet I do not have to worry about strong winds lifting a skirt :p

This is an outfit style I like, even though it is from the 70s:
mmzbj6.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
It should be noted that unlike slobwear today hippie garb was worn by a very small percentage of the workforce. You may have seen hippies on campus or working at a health food store, head shop, etc.....but you wouldn't see them working at a bank, ad agency, department store, etc....where there were dress codes in place.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Tomasso said:
It should be noted that unlike slobwear today hippie garb was worn by a very small percentage of the workforce. You may have seen hippies on campus or working at a health food store, head shop, etc.....but you wouldn't see them working at a bank, ad agency, department store, etc....where there were dress codes in place.

Right, a small percentage relatively speaking, but they were very influential to their generation, weren't they?

Foofoogal

Banned
Bell bottoms are supposed to be the most flattering on the widest range of females as it makes one look taller.

Went to the mall this last weekend shopping. I rarely go shopping out of vintage and was stunned by the quality (not) of junk passing for fabric.
$34.00 for shirts one could basically see thru.
I kept thinking of the fairy tale The Emperors Clothes. Someone is definitely pulling the wool over mass eyes IMHO. :eusa_doh:

Feraud

Bartender
Tomasso said:
The idea of dressing for the occasion is mostly unheard of by the general population today.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The Good said:
Right, a small percentage relatively speaking, but they were very influential to their generation, weren't they?

They got the most publicity, so they became the epitome of their era, even though they were actually a small minority. I never saw a hippie of any kind in person until about 1975.

It's the same in any era -- the extremists always get the attention. The vast majority of people in 1943 never saw a zoot suit except in photos in Look magazine.

kyboots said:
Come on folks those pictures including the ones from Berkeley are 1960's and the "Summer of Love 1968" they aren't the 70's. J.B I'll send you a leisure suit! John

Obviously you live no where near Berkeley. A lot of them still look that way. That was late 60s but it went well into the end of the 1970s. Hippies just didn't go away one day. They were around in San Franfreako well into the next decade. They still looked the same and thought the same as well. Many of the hippies attributed to the 60s are better attributed to the end of the 60s through 70s. They were the 70s. I was here. It stunk.

LizzieMaine said:
They got the most publicity, so they became the epitome of their era, even though they were actually a small minority. I never saw a hippie of any kind in person until about 1975.

It's the same in any era -- the extremists always get the attention. The vast majority of people in 1943 never saw a zoot suit except in photos in Look magazine.

25% of the youth based on the figures from that era could be considered hippies. They were young and most certainly didn't have jobs.:rolleyes:
I had one professor in college (who was previously a professor at Stanford) that remembered the era as it was. The hippies, when near graduation, shaved, cut their hair and showered regularly. They made themselves presentable for interviews and future jobs. It was a youth centered thing.
The only difference now is that the graduates don't do any of that. ;) :p
I still see hippies here by the way. :eusa_doh:

kyboots

Practically Family
The 1960's

Well I guess I didn't run into you all when I was there too, but I will guarantee those pictures and the peace symbol are 1960's and yes they are the extreme. The "Mad Man" look was corporate America,( my father ) but the average college student wore colorful clothes and bell bottoms and many wore Army jackets. No reason to argue but needless to say it was a colorful time,and it was wonderful fun time.I loved the period of self inspection,and debate but unfortunately it went too extreme and too far.That's off the topic.We have hit this too much. Good night! John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred