Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which is more versatile, Akruba's Moonstone or Heritage Fawn?

RobStC

A-List Customer
Classified00 said:
Howdy,

I've been lurking for awhile but this is my first post. Let me start by saying thanks, I've learned a tremendous amount. I'm thinking of ordering an Akruba Fed IV Deluxe for my birthday next month.

Which color is more versatile, the Moonstone or the Heritage Fawn? It would be mostly casual wear with a little business wear.

Any thoughts would be appriciated!

Thanks,
:eek:

I have a Moonstone and a Heritage Fawn, and quite surprisingly, given my initial expectations to the contrary, wear the Heritage Fawn about 75% of the time. It definitely comes across as a slightly more casual hat, and because of the shade of colour it seems to work with a wider range of the sorts of suits I wear - a lot of soft, slightly brownish greys and indigo or soft navy based patterns. Having said that, there are times when the Moonstone is exactly right, therefore I'm totally happy that I have it as well! You can't go wrong with either of them, and I have yet to find a better, tough, durable yet smart everyday hat than the Fed IV. In (not so) sunny Scotland, I get to wear felts about 360 days of the year, and have found that they just get better and better the more you wear them.....

Enjoy!

babs

A-List Customer
FurFeltFedora said:
Well this should scare the hell out of you Babs, I only needed two months and a bit to get that picture :) That's a lot more frequently than quarterly.

Impressive! Being that I'll have to do some sweet-talkin' probably and add to the "honey-do" list upon probably the 2nd purchase, I'm planning on staggering it out some. :) Just have to quit searching "vintage fedora" and "fur felt" etc etc on ebay though.

FurFeltFedora

A-List Customer
If it makes you feel better, I'm ordering another Campdraft and timing it to arrive while my girlfriend is on a business trip. Not sure why I'm bothering though, I made some comment about not getting any more hats anytime soon and she just looked at me and said, "Who are you kidding? I'll bet money you've ordered a hat and timed it to arrive while I'm gone."

Damn she's good.

Goose.

Practically Family
FurFeltFedora said:
Well this should scare the hell out of you Babs, I only needed two months and a bit to get that picture :) That's a lot more frequently than quarterly.
Thought I was quick in amassing my Federation Tugboat Fleet, but FFF was asking about Feds when I had one or two, and now he is the Fed Professor :)

The question was about Moonstone Vs. Heritage so I replied Moonstone.

That being said, I probably wear my Carbon and Dark Brown more often. In fact, was thinking it'd be a Panama today, but looks like it will be the Carbon Fed on my head.

The Dark Brown was my first Fed...wanted a Moonstone, but they were out of stock, so Dark Brown Deluxe was ordered. Thought I'd be disappointed...no way. It is one member of my personal "Akubra Trinity" (pictured)...though that Carbon is still working a coup d'état plan on that Dark Brown.

And, as BobC stated and others have confirmed...I'll add another nod to it; don't buy more clothes to suit your hat. Get another hat.

Classified00...you will like your lid. Any Fed is a good Fed in my book ;)

So, here's more pics of my kids to bore ya...(instead of a bumper sticker reading "Let me show pictures of my grandchildren", mine should say "Federations")...

556303073_NZ3pa-S.jpg
572500239_FXpvz-M.jpg

FurFeltFedora said:
If it makes you feel better, I'm ordering another Campdraft and timing it to arrive while my girlfriend is on a business trip. Not sure why I'm bothering though, I made some comment about not getting any more hats anytime soon and she just looked at me and said, "Who are you kidding? I'll bet money you've ordered a hat and timed it to arrive while I'm gone."

Damn she's good.
She's either smart, knows you well, or you are someone I'd like to play poker with. Maybe all three FFF.

I said the same thing to both my wife and Jen at Hats Direct after my full set of Feds. There reply was "yeah, right". So, now I have a Squashy Roo to kick around in-transit, a Campdraft order pending dinero, and, I hope a Panama from PB soon. Regarding not needing "another" hobby Classified, day late and many more dollars short for you. No one here is going to talk you out of it...we are all enablers. Like having an AA meeting at a bar.

Like rrog said, I can quit anytime though...

MississippiLong

One of the Regulars
FurFeltFedora said:

Damn she's good.

I just order my wife a blouse or jewelry and time it to arrive the same as my hat...Tell her you're just grabbing a few Christmas gifts early and she better not look. It works....sometimes.[huh]

Oh and fawn was a good choice. Moonstone is a beautiful hat, but the Fawn is so versatile.

jazzncocktails

A-List Customer
MississippiLong said:
I just order my wife a blouse or jewelry and time it to arrive the same as my hat...Tell her you're just grabbing a few Christmas gifts early and she better not look. It works....sometimes.[huh]

Oh and fawn was a good choice. Moonstone is a beautiful hat, but the Fawn is so versatile.
Wise, wise man, Mississippi...

I agree with the Fawn comments about it being highly versatile and much more casual than the Moonstone. I don't own a Moonstone yet--other similarly grey fedoras that I'm basing my judgment on--but that may be the next in line, pending the results of the Blue Smoke hat I currently have in line with the good Mr. Fawcett.

Also, I've found my Tawny Fawn to be much less gold colored than photos often depict, and much more light brown, for what it's worth. FFF's pic of it on page one of this thread is the most accurate color representation I've seen--looks great! In any case, they're great hats.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I'd say fawn and grey are the best hat colours as I find black and brown too unversatile. My first fur felt hat was fawn and it was amazingly versatile, but I did mostly wear earthtones with it. Whenever I wore colder colours like blacks and greys it didn't do well at all. I now wear a grey hat (in carribou grey which is similar to moonstone) and I do find it better because I can wear it with cold colours (blacks, blues and greys) but also with khaki and my brown leather jacket.

Fawn is still versatile, but I'd personally say moonstone is more versatile. However, fawn is more casual, although in my case I like grey for being more formal as I usually am very formal.

Wolfwood

A-List Customer
I ordered heritage fawn as my second Fed IV for double duty: first, the colour is better for sunny summer months than the brown version; second, it is highly versatile and works well with my tendency to wear earth colours (brown, khaki, natural white). However, when the weather gets cooler and I don my brown winter jacket, I'll switch back to my brown hat.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Classified00 said:
Has anyone (in the US) ordered from hatsdirect.com lately?

How many business days did it take for your hat to arrive? [huh]

Thanks,
;)

I ordered on a 7/11 and it arrived on 7/20!

Goose.

Practically Family
If I order by Monday AM Australia time, I have consistently received my lid from HD a week later (Tuesday)...Wednesday at the latest and that was only once out of a dozen or so shipments (two hats in one box that had insurance due to combined value).
My last hat was shipped this past Monday (Aust) and arrived Thursday (US)...but it came in envelope not a box ;)

High Pockets

Practically Family
:) Me too,.....near as I can remember both of mine came on the eighth day following the order date which was at night on both occasions, and I live in the middle of the US.

Not bad considering it's taken me 5 weeks to get two "ebay" bottle openers from California!!!!!!! :rage:

Classified00

Familiar Face
Thanks all,

I'm getting a tad antsy because I'm not sure whether or not I ordered the right size. I may have gone too small. [huh]

I guess I'll find out later this week :p

Goose.

Practically Family
Classified00 said:
Thanks all,

I'm getting a tad antsy because I'm not sure whether or not I ordered the right size. I may have gone too small. [huh]

I guess I'll find out later this week :p
Yeah, sucks when that happens.
My FIVD Moonstone (HD sent the wrong size, but nonetheless, a bummer)

:eusa_doh:

497612815_iHYqM-S-1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy