Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which is the best A2 manufacturer you can order from and get a jacket right away?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Authentic? Sometimes modern engineering has it's advantages. Take classic cars for example. I would rather "restomod" than completely restore to OEM. Some of those old muscle cars need better handling and 4 wheel disc brakes. Same with a jacket. While some love the idea that they've got a jacket that is exactly as it would have been back in the 1940's, some of us spend that kind of money and would like to have handwarmers, inside pockets, and some insulation for warmth. Back in the days of yore & yesteryear, Thinsulate just wasn't available. But I don't see anything wrong with a lined jacket. Even better if it were wool or shearling. I don't want to be the guy who spends $$$$$ only to have a jacket that isn't warm. Another thing that I'm not all too crazy about is the classic fit. I don't need it. I've got an 18" neck, 48" chest, and 16" arms. In the 40's, very few people were into lifting weights or bulking up, and not to mention that their diet did not contain all the steroid enhanced milk and beef. I need a little bit more room to move in my clothes. Noboy wants to rip a leather jacket like Hollywood Hulk Hogan.

That is so right. I know I don't want to wear a museum piece. Anything I wear needs to be functional. I like to be inspired by the classics but I don't want to be a slave to them. With an A2 ( a jacket I'm not that excitied about at the best of times) I think it's fine to get something close but not necessarily an anal reproduction. As long as it doesn't look like a floppy mall jacket in bad leather....:) Having said that, I'm totally fine with people who want that exact replica as long as they don't think they are better than the rest of us who don't have them... ;)

Last edited:

Tell Kathy I Love Her

Familiar Face
Hi, it looks like US Authentic is getting a good recommendation here. May I ask two questions about their A2? The first is about what size I should get. I am 5' 11", with a 38" chest. I weigh 150 lbs, with a 32" waist and 32 inch sleeve length. Shaul recommended a 40r in size, do you concur with this?

The second question is about US A's "vintage leather" horsehide. What color is it, in other words, how does it compare with their russet and seal? Is it darker or lighter? Can anyone post any pics of US A's vintage leather?

yar

New in Town
I cant help you directly since i dont know american measuring units good enough, all i can say that Shaul recommended me 40R size too, i mailed him about the exactly measurements of the 38R and 40R sizes then and thats what he wrote:

This is how they measure the jackets exactly http://www.flightjacket.com/size

A2 Size 38R

Chest 22" (56 cm)
Shoulder 19.25" (49 cm)
Sleeve 37.5" (95 cm)
Center Back 25.5" (65 cm) - in the reality, my 38R jackets centerback length is only 62 cm if you measure it like in the picture, so thats an inch less.

A2 Size 40R

Chest 23" (58 cm)
Shoulder 20" (51 cm)
Sleeve 38" (96 cm) for Tall add 2" (5 cm)
Center Back 26" (66 cm) for Tall add 2" (5 cm)

I ordered 38R instead of 40R and i am happy that i did it since 40R would be too big for me. 38 fits very good with a bit of room. I would say measure your shoulders or your jacket/suit that fits exactly on them and make sure that they are the same like the A2 jacket shoulders, then everything should fit right. I hope this helps you.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
It does sound like they come up a size large; those measurements correspond to the Aero and ELC A2s I have in a modern size 42 (Wartime size 40).

Tell Kathy I Love Her

Familiar Face
Yar, thank you for your helpful and detailed response. However, I don't have a tape measure handy nor a favorite suit jacket, so is it possible to estimate my correct size based on the information I was able to provide? I would love to get the right fit the first time especially since the "vintage leather" horsehide is considered a custom order and is non-returnable. Also, does anyone have pictures of the US A vintage horsehide colors and grain?

NowOrNever

Familiar Face
Yar, thank you for your helpful and detailed response. However, I don't have a tape measure handy nor a favorite suit jacket, so is it possible to estimate my correct size based on the information I was able to provide? I would love to get the right fit the first time especially since the "vintage leather" horsehide is considered a custom order and is non-returnable. Also, does anyone have pictures of the US A vintage horsehide colors and grain?

My advice would be DON'T estimate your size, take the time to measure carefully FIRST, before ordering. I have lost count the amount of times I have read of people ordering the wrong sized jacket, especially A-2s because they tend to be confusing in size variance, especially between different makers.

I waited over 20 years to buy an A-2. I finally won a pre owned Eastman on an e-bay auction, and saved a worthwhile amount. However I'd spent a few hours trying to work out my size before bidding. The tips of measuring a well fitting jacket you already own is easy and well worth it. Borrow or buy a tape measure if you have too! I ended up with a very good fit for the trouble and it was worth the effort. Far better to avoid dissapointment.

I have only one regret, my jacket is steerhide and I wish now I'd gone for horsehide. However choice of hide is a personal matter. Good luck.

Bebop

Practically Family
U.S. Authentic (flightjackets.com). Not a great A-2 but a good heavy duty(if you get the horsehide) A-2 for about $420.00. Just stay away from their goatskin.

Welcome to the Lounge.

Regards, coffee

Any reason to stay away from their goatskin? Comments like this ^ is what confuses a lot of new jacket seekers. No reason, just a statement blowing in the wind. I have one of their goatskin A-2 jackets and find it to be top notch. I wear a size 40 sport coat and ordered a size 40 jacket. It fits perfectly and after 4 years of wear, the goatskin looks just about as nice as when I bought it. I've put mine through some rough wear.

Tell Kathy I Love Her

Familiar Face
Okay, I took my exact measurements, measuring my favorite jacket, a London Fog windbreaker. Can anyone help recommend a size? Here are my measurements:
Chest: 21.5 inches
Shoulder: 20.0 inches
Sleeve length: 34.5 inches
Center back: 25.5 inches

These measurements seem to match a size 38 that yar provided, except the sleeve length which doesn't correspond. Keep in mind I am an average proportioned guy who would take either a 38 or 40. Edited to add that the London Fog does not have wool knits, so that may account for the difference. What do you think? I take a size 38 in a US Authentic, right? I can go ahead and order a vintage leather A2 horsehide?

Last edited:

too much coffee

Practically Family
Any reason to stay away from their goatskin? Comments like this ^ is what confuses a lot of new jacket seekers. No reason, just a statement blowing in the wind. I have one of their goatskin A-2 jackets and find it to be top notch. I wear a size 40 sport coat and ordered a size 40 jacket. It fits perfectly and after 4 years of wear, the goatskin looks just about as nice as when I bought it. I've put mine through some rough wear.

Five years ago, a friend of mine bought their G-1. The goatskin was about as thick as Saran Wrap.....much too thin and too smooth. I am a big fan of US Authentic's HH A-2; good value for the money, solidly built and bullet proof as a daily wearer. Look at Goodwear's Cable Raincoat goatskin or even a pre-1970 USN G-1 and you will immediately see why the USA goat comes up really missing the mark.

As you know Bebop, a lot of our reviews and opinions are subjective. Perhaps my friend received a bad hide. Perhaps "Tell Kathy I Love Her" would be ecstatic about a USA in goatskin, I don't know. But if I was going to purchase a USA A-2, it would be in their horsehide. That is what I based my recommendation on.

BTW, when my friend saw some of my USN G-1s, he quickly ditched his USA and procured the real item.

Regards, coffee

Last edited:

kojax

Practically Family
i think for the money gibson barnes goatskin is really nice . i have one there a2 jacket in dsrk seal goatskin going on 5 years always looks good not even a wear spot on the jacket.i wear it every day. i am looking at there russet goatkin for my nexet a2 jacket

too much coffee

Practically Family
Okay, I took my exact measurements, measuring my favorite jacket, a London Fog windbreaker. Can anyone help recommend a size? Here are my measurements:
Chest: 21.5 inches
Shoulder: 20.0 inches
Sleeve length: 34.5 inches
Center back: 25.5 inches

These measurements seem to match a size 38 that yar provided, except the sleeve length which doesn't correspond. Keep in mind I am an average proportioned guy who would take either a 38 or 40. Edited to add that the London Fog does not have wool knits, so that may account for the difference. What do you think? I take a size 38 in a US Authentic, right? I can go ahead and order a vintage leather A2 horsehide?

If your London Fog chest (armpit seam to armpit seam I take it) is 21.5", then times 2 would equal 43". Obviously a 38 or 40 is going to be too tight.

The sleeve length of 34.5" was probably taken at the middle of the neck, where it joins the shoulder, then to the end of the shoulder and down to the end of the sleeve.

If Shaul recommended a 40, all you have to decide is what will I be wearing under the A-2. If you will be layering heavily, then go up to a 42. Bear in mind, the A-2 was classified as a warm weather aviator's garment. At most you would probably wear would be a medium weight sweatshirt.

Tell Kathy I Love Her

Familiar Face
If your London Fog chest (armpit seam to armpit seam I take it) is 21.5", then times 2 would equal 43". Obviously a 38 or 40 is going to be too tight.

The sleeve length of 34.5" was probably taken at the middle of the neck, where it joins the shoulder, then to the end of the shoulder and down to the end of the sleeve.

If Shaul recommended a 40, all you have to decide is what will I be wearing under the A-2. If you will be layering heavily, then go up to a 42. Bear in mind, the A-2 was classified as a warm weather aviator's garment. At most you would probably wear would be a medium weight sweatshirt.
Too much coffee, thank you for your consideration and taking the time to give a detailed reply and help to my post. However, I am perplexed by your size recommendation of a 42 since my measurements lined up exactly to US Authentic's measurements of a 38 or perhaps a 40. I was perplexed at my measured sleeve length because even for a size 38, it is a full three inches shorter than Authentic's sleeve length! And I have normal arms, not shorter ones. If I purchased a size 42, what would my sleeves look like then!

Nonetheless, let me thank you again for your continued help, support and advice.

I emailed Shaul my precise measurements and he emailed me back, on a Sunday, good customer service, that "a size 40 should work well." I am perplexed at this because their sleeve length, compared to my measurements, are much longer at this size recommendation.

Last edited:

too much coffee

Practically Family
TKILH;

Not a problem, most of us are here to help.

To sum it up, I would get a 40 if I were you. I base this on Shaul Dover's recommendation to you and the fact that, based on where you live, probably a T shirt or a long/short sleeve cotton shirt would go underneath. If you find the 40 too small, Shaul will exchange this for you(provided it does not have any "custom" work done to it).
I should have mentioned this before but US Authentic's A-2 jacket is historically known to be on the slightly long side of sleeve and body length. Probably about 1"-1 1/2" in length.
Mr. Dover has been doing this for many many moons and I would certainly go with his advice of a 40 for your jacket.
Best of luck with your decision and whatever jacket you decide to go with.
Let us know if you require further assistance.

Best regards, coffee

yar

New in Town
If it matches exactly with your other jacket that fits, then i would take 38R, i dont think there is a need to go up to 40R. I think Shaul recommends a size that would definitely fit ( its better for him to sell a jacket that is a bit too big than too small - less returns i guess), but im afraid it would be a bit too big like in my case. Just my opinion :rolleyes: i wish you good luck!

Yes, they measure the sleeves like in my link, from the middle of the neck, over the shoulder and then down the sleeve.

Tell Kathy I Love Her

Familiar Face
Thanks yar, yes, I want to thank you for sharing the measurement figures for both sizes. I measured the sleeves just like in your link, and even the 38r came up three inches longer than on my favorite jacket. I mailed the measurements to Shaul and the 40r is what he recommended. It is hard to go against the recommendation of the man who making my jacket. So I'm in a tough spot.

Last edited:

yar

New in Town
I measured the sleeve of my jacket now from the end of the shoulder to the end of the cuff. Its 65.5 cm with the cuff and 60cm without it, that would be 25,6 and 23.6 inches. In my case when i wear it half of the cuff is covered with the leather sleeve, some people like it, some hate it, its more a matter of taste. I heard that Shaul can take off some inches from the sleeve if you ask him without further costs. Maybe you want to order a returnable jacket first, it would be a shame if your custom order wont fit 100% how you wish it.

Fifty150

One Too Many
Now back on topic......I once ordered from Legendary USA. I bought a Cockpit jacket that shipped on the next business day. It got to me, all the way across the country, within a week. Is that fast enough? I'm sure that they could ship next day or 3 day shipping also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot