Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which is your favorite G-1?

Brettafett

One Too Many
Brettafett your AVI G-1 appears to fit you more or less the same as my original 1963 Irvin B. Foster MIL-J-7832B that I just bought from John Chapman fits me. Both of our G-1's have broad shoulders with significant taper below. Anyhow I really like the look of yours and the way it fits you.
Thanks Fanch... Did you ever post pics of you wearing that jacket? I would be keen to see. Brett

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Fanch... Did you ever post pics of you wearing that jacket? I would be keen to see. Brett
Yep, posts #177 and #182 in this same thread. John Chapman has listed a number of original G-1 jackets on his sales page where you can find the Irvin B.Foster G-1 that I bought from him and others as well. As you can see from his listings of the various G-1 contracts, there were significant variations in measurements from one to the other. Easy to look at various jackets shown on this Good Wear Sales Page URL where you can review each past and present listing, although jackets on his sales page generally go very quickly:

http://www.goodwearleather.com/pages/sale.html

Last edited:

Flightengineer

Practically Family
Hello everyone,
Last week, finally, my tailors replaced the mouton collar on my recently received L.W.Foster Sportswear 1956 in size 40. The jacket was in excellent condition but the mouton died. I spent a lot of time to find a real mouton of the same light brown-golden color as was on the jacket, only new one.

I really like it.

It fits much better than the jacket of the same contract in the 42 size that I had before.

This jacket belonged to the USN pilot (unfortunately died last year) , Jerry Allen Donevant, a man with a rich and long biography of the flights and with more than 25 thousand flying hours. He flew since 1960 for VR-21 and after the retirement he flew as pilot and instructor for Continental Airlines.

I will be happy to occasionally take it to flight in memory of Jerry...

The jacket has amazing patches and really a piece of great flight history.
I think this old girl saw a lot ...

Well, today we just visited old birds with her)))

Last edited:

thor

One Too Many
Just picked up this label-less G-1 on eBay for $50. I've ascertained that it's a 1973 Star Sportswear model (that rectangular zipper pull was the major clue). It's a very large size jacket with awesome goatskin. I had new knits put on and might swap the synthetic fur collar for some vintage mouton.
IMG_8621.JPG
IMG_8622.JPG

HawkFlyer

New in Town
Hello everyone,
Last week, finally, my tailors replaced the mouton collar on my recently received L.W.Foster Sportswear 1956 in size 40. The jacket was in excellent condition but the mouton died. I spent a lot of time to find a real mouton of the same light brown-golden color as was on the jacket, only new one.

I really like it.

It fits much better than the jacket of the same contract in the 42 size that I had before.

This jacket belonged to the USN pilot (unfortunately died last year) , Jerry Allen Donevant, a man with a rich and long biography of the flights and with more than 25 thousand flying hours. He flew since 1960 for VR-21 and after the retirement he flew as pilot and instructor for Continental Airlines.

I will be happy to occasionally take it to flight in memory of Jerry...

The jacket has amazing patches and really a piece of great flight history.
I think this old girl saw a lot ...

Well, today we just visited old birds with her)))

Now THIS is EXACTLY how a G-1 SHOULD look and fit! Bravo! This is a great contract and year... and it's a great fit for you personally. It's not overly loose or baggy, it's not drooping or hanging off the shoulders, and the darker colored brown combined with the lighter blondish collar... PERFECT! Awesome jacket, great legacy, I love it! :D

Flightengineer

Practically Family
Thanks, I had a few G-1s before I realized which contract and size fit me best. For me as for the aviator (although civil) particularly pleased to have a jacket with a story and knowledge about the former owner.

Deacon211

One Too Many
Thanks, I had a few G-1s before I realized which contract and size fit me best. For me as for the aviator (although civil) particularly pleased to have a jacket with a story and knowledge about the former owner.

That's a great looking jacket FE! I think you did a great job finding that replacement mouton...it's the perfect shade.

Is that a 21 you're standing by?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Flightengineer

Practically Family
Thanks Deacon.
It was really hard to find this mouton, I carefully inspected the color and height of the wool, so that everything would match )))
No, it's not 21. I'm standing in the background of unpainted Yak-38 (old navy VTOL plane). Photo jackets on the Pitot and on the wing - there 17, not 21.
There are a few photos near MiG-29, but I decided that I've postted enough here)))
In addition, 29 - from other era)))

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points