Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which of these jackets is warmer?

Edward

Bartender

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Tankers are MUCH warmer than any WWII field jacket. Serious wool lining, sleeve and bottom knits, knit collar that the seals the neck tightly. I have an At The Front tanker, and the only outerwear I have that I consider warmer are my peacoat and MA-1 jackets.

I recently got a Cockpit M-43 - a terrible repro, but it's a pleasant summer night shirt-jacket. It's that light. I plan to get a better M-43 repro, and an M-41, eventually. But neither will be as warm as the tanker.

Edward

Bartender
Thanks, Doctor Strange. That woild make the difference....

Zhz, you're probably right on the SoF one. The First Pattern is tempting.... I already have the civilianised (not Winter weight) Taxi Driver version, so the patch pockets would be a bit more variation than the slash pockets... Thanks.

Peacoat

Bartender
My money is on the Tanker. They both have "blanket" linings, which, in these types of jackets (reproductions), is almost always a cotton lining. I have this type of lining in a couple of my work jackets. They are adequate if one stays active. The tanker has the tighter fit at the cuffs and the waist, as well as the stand up collar.

Last edited:

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
My buddy has an original M41 with a wool lining...a very thin lining, maybe it was thicker when new??? Not terribly warm at all...
My ATF Tanker that is maybe 5 years old, is very warm, with what I believe to be a wool lining, pretty heavy lining, a standard wear jacket, I wear it all winter....

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
There's a reason that the M41 was replaced by the M43! The M43 is superior in every category. I would go with the tanker jacket!

Marv

A-List Customer
I currently find myself too corpulent for most of my Winter jackets. All be sorted by this time next year, but in the meantime looking for s cheapo for kicking about in over the next few months. These are current contenders for being ordered this week; the m41 is the frontrunner, but is it likely to be as warm (over a sweater and shirt) as the tanker?

Http://epicmilitaria.com/product.php/464/us-m41-field-jacket

http://epicmilitaria.com/product.php/467/american-tanker-jacket

I have one the SOF 1st pattern Tankers and it's a very well made jacket in the correct colour with excellent quality material / knits, the fit is good and true to size plus very warm.

Other minor observations, the jacket feels a little short in length to what I am used to (but from what I have read the original jackets were made like this), the zipper length goes all the way up to the top of the collar (where as originals zippers stop half way up the knitted collar), the knits are not full tubular and are stitched seamed and finally, the Talon zipper is a cheaper reproduction but works fine.

Overall for the price, a great jacket.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Thanks, all... The Tanker definitely sounds a better bet than the M41, then. Alas, they're low on stock on the first pattern, so if I go tanker it'll have to be slash pockets. Same jacket otherwise.

Marv... I've long wondered why the difference with the zip length. Most repros do seem to miss that detail... I've begun to wonder is it because the original length zips are hard/expensive to find, and thus not realistic for the cheaper repros. Maybe it's the difference between a standardised imperial and metric measurement length?

Before I go pulling any triggers, here's one last question.... How would a jeep coat compare to the Tanker?

http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/products/US-Mackinaw-Jeep-coat-Kay-Canvas-031014-1.JPG

http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/us-mackinaw-jeep-coat-by-kay-canvas.-product,13723

Been looking at this and wondering whether it might be a better bet in terms of being able to fit longer sweaters, cardigans and such underneath.... Are these as warm as they sound? It's attributed to the same brand as the tanker, and seems to be the same materials, difference in pattern aside?

Peacoat

Bartender
Because of the length, these mackinaws will be warmer than the Tanker, but still not very warm because of the cotton (I assume) blanket lining. The difference, as you noted, will be the ability to wear a thick sweater under the coat. That will make it much warmer.

If you are looking for warmth, I think the mackinaw (Jeep coat) will be your best bet.

Edward

Bartender
Because of the length, these mackinaws will be warmer than the Tanker, but still not very warm because of the cotton (I assume) blanket lining. The difference, as you noted, will be the ability to wear a thick sweater under the coat. That will make it much warmer.

If you are looking for warmth, I think the mackinaw (Jeep coat) will be your best bet.

Thanks, Peacost. That looks like my best bet for now, I'll go with that. (I've also been trawling the web looking for a Swedish M1909, but the sizing issue hits hard there.... specifically, the utter inability of most eBayers to understand the concept of size vs actual jacket meaurements..... not to mention such gems as "It fit my husband and he's an xl." ARRGGHH!!!)

zhz

Practically Family
I am looking for a winter jacket as well. And I am choosing between B15A, B10 and N1 now, I like Tanker jacket, but I dont think it is warm enough for me. It is really cold in UK this year.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Beauty of the N-1, M-41, M-65 and other mid length jackets is that you don't have to worry about your sweater or shirt sticking out from under. The short jackets are best if you plan on wearing just a shirt. I have 2 N-1s and I don't get to wear them that often because of the weather.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
That's why I went with the Mackinaw in the end, yeah. N1 looks like a great jacket for kicking about in in the cold, but ultimately i think there are others I'd rather sink the big bucks in.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I am a little late, but, my Dad wore a Tanker jacket in their C-47 over France during Summer and Fall of 44. So must be pretty warm.

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
I have had several mackinaws over the years, and down to one now...It has a thick wool blanket style lining, a very heavy lining, making it very toasty. Some of the macks I have owned, USGI, had full linings and some had half linings, the linings did not extend to the full length of the jacket....either way, warmer than the Tanker, but for daily wear, I prefer the Tanker for comfort..
also another choice is the USAF shade 509 field jacket...with the liner...the gray version does not have the GI look and is very comfortable,

Then there is the M51 with liner...the lower pockets have a nice wool lining, very handy for the hands...I prefer this model over any of the M65s out there...

too many choices Edward!!! good luck

Edward

Bartender
Well, the Mackinaw was opened today. Sadly, it's going to have to go back. At first I thought they were really sized small, but it seems they just weren't designed to fit over a sweater or blazer, so this one just isn't big enough for what I need. It's definitely not heavy enough to be worn over only a thin sweater or shirt in Belfast in December, so back to the drawing board. It's a pity; it looks nice, but I'd see it functioning as more of a windproof raincheater than an actual overcoat. Maybe next year I'll pikc myself up onre of the River Junction wool blanket macinaws, but for now one of those wouldn't get here fast enough. I might hit the army surplus places in Belfast when I get there, just in case there's a size 3 Swedish M1909 lurking on a dusty rail.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart