Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

White RAF Roll Neck Sweaters

keith

New in Town
[been emailed a discount code for 15% off all purchases from outdoorknitwear.com, seems to work for all purchases
code is

1DISC15

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
[been emailed a discount code for 15% off all purchases from outdoorknitwear.com, seems to work for all purchases
code is

1DISC15

Yes and you can use this discount more than once until I think Mid December 2011. As well as the white RAF/Sub roll necks, they also now do them in Navy.

Rgds Steve.

Whithead

Familiar Face
Would the Navy Outdoorknitwear version approximate the blue sweater worn by the RAF in WWII?

I know they wore the "ecru" color but have seen some photos with blue as well...

Is this close?

Thanks!

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Would the Navy Outdoorknitwear version approximate the blue sweater worn by the RAF in WWII?

I know they wore the "ecru" color but have seen some photos with blue as well...

Is this close?

Thanks!

Yes I think it would be, I have one of these navy blue sweaters, it is excellent, although I bought it from a firm called "grand prix legends" who are in the County of Surrey in southern England. I bought it earlier this year. At that time Outdoor knitwear only did the Ecru Sweaters. I am very happy with my purchase. There are both great fims. need the sweaters now as it is getting colder. Rgds Steve.

Whithead

Familiar Face
Anyone know how their sizes run?

I am a 50 Long (US Size) and am trying to figure out if I should order the XL (50) or XXL (54).

I usually like a roomy sweater and, with my ape arms, a lot of standard 50 sizes end up halfway up my arms...but I don't want to wear a sack either.

I wouldn't usually be this anal but returning to England for a different size can be expensive.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Anyone know how their sizes run?

I am a 50 Long (US Size) and am trying to figure out if I should order the XL (50) or XXL (54).

I usually like a roomy sweater and, with my ape arms, a lot of standard 50 sizes end up halfway up my arms...but I don't want to wear a sack either.

I wouldn't usually be this anal but returning to England for a different size can be expensive.

They do tend to be quite tight fitting, so perhaps you should order a larger size, you could always turn back the cuffs if necessary, but why don't you call or e-mail them, they are usually very helpful. Good Luck, Hope you get sorted out OK. Rgds.

B-24J

One of the Regulars

Is this close?

Thanks!

I think the mid to late war blue/black sweater was similar (but not the same) to the earlier ecru sweater in that it had a high collar and not a roll neck. See http://www.stby.com/airdigger/repro.htm for a repro example. The blue/black sweaters can be seen toward the end of the movie "Journey Together".

John

Whithead

Familiar Face
Just ordered the blue version from outdoorknitwear in my actual size of 50 (US)...I let everyone know how it goes.

Aether

One of the Regulars
Hi Chaps,

Just received my Submariner sweater from Outdoorknitwear and I'm very impressed by it. Nice durable wool, very well put together, and from reading through the thread it seems to have all of the correct features - reinforced shoulder, deep cuffs and welt etc.

However, I'm a little concerned about the fit of the sleeves and wondered if they're meant to be so short?

I'm in between their small(38") and medium (42") and wanted to have a snug fit to wear under a bike jacket, but do you think it's too small? Or is this how they're cut?

Your thoughts would be most welcome.

Thanks

Pics:
photo.jpg

photo-1.jpg

Dang Aether, it's a beaut. However I do agree with the sleeves thing. Being 6'-4", I've dealt with too-short sleeves all my life. I know nothing about these sweaters, but always wanted one (or two). Sure seems to me that it's not right. Otherwise, it's lovely. Maybe a subject-expert will have more info...

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Hi Chaps,

Just received my Submariner sweater from Outdoorknitwear and I'm very impressed by it. Nice durable wool, very well put together, and from reading through the thread it seems to have all of the correct features - reinforced shoulder, deep cuffs and welt etc.

However, I'm a little concerned about the fit of the sleeves and wondered if they're meant to be so short?

I'm in between their small(38") and medium (42") and wanted to have a snug fit to wear under a bike jacket, but do you think it's too small? Or is this how they're cut?

Your thoughts would be most welcome.

Thanks

Pics:
photo.jpg

photo-1.jpg

Good morning Aether, I agree with the others guys here, that looks a great sweater, I just checked mine and agree the sleeves do look rather short, it may be worth you giving them a call and asking their opinion, it may be that you have to go for the next size up, which not be too large in fact, I am also a 38, but can wear 40 or even 42 sometimes without looking like I am in a bell tent. You may also find that a larger size may shrink a little in the wash which may infact help. Good luck and let us know how you get on. Rgds Steve.

Aether

One of the Regulars
Thanks Steve,

It's a really nice jumper and I love the tight fit of the body, but you're right, if it shrank in the wash the sleeves would be halfway up my arm! I'll call them today to see what they reckon. I wish they did a 40"...

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Thanks Steve,

It's a really nice jumper and I love the tight fit of the body, but you're right, if it shrank in the wash the sleeves would be halfway up my arm! I'll call them today to see what they reckon. I wish they did a 40"...

Hallo again Aether, I wore mine at lunchtime and the sleeves do come right down to my wrists and on a newer one I purchased earlier this year from another firm, "Grand Prix Legends", they are long enough to turn back the cuff. For your info, if Outdoor Knitwear can not help, you could try looking at the website of "Grand Prix Legends", (They are based in Surrey infact, I think maybe near Guildford, so perhaps not too far from where you live, maybe you can go to their showroom and try some on) Another firm who also do these sweaters which may like to check is "Ace" cafe, who are by the North Circular Road at Stonebridge Park, near the railway station, so should be quite easy to visit too. Give them a ring before you visit either of these firms. If you can get a more suitable jumper from one of these two, see if Outdoor Knitwear will give you a refund and buy another one from one of the other suppliers. I Have three off these RAF Roll Necks, also known as Submariner Sweaters, a very old but still in regular use white one, a newer white one and the other is Navy Blue. I enjoy wearing them all, they look and feel good.

I have purchased various pullovers from Outdoor Knitwear and they always have been very good. See also my earlier postings on this thread and others.

Hope this helps.

All the best Steve.

Last edited:

Aether

One of the Regulars
Thanks for all the info Steve, I appreciate it.

I spoke to Outdoor Knitwear today and they agreed that I should go for the next size up. I was really impressed by the quality of the sweater so I've sent it back for exchange. Will definitely have to check out Grand Prix Legends, and once my bike is back in one piece I'll swing by the Ace Cafe too. Might even wear my new Submariner!

Nick

Corto

A-List Customer
Aether, I bought a fantastic white rollneck submarine sweater from Silverman's last winter. Great quality wool and construction. Great fit all around. Long body, sleeves fit right. You should checkout one of theirs. I'll dig up a photo and post it later.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner