Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

White RAF Roll Neck Sweaters

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Have a look at Silvermans, ace cafe , nauticalia and Outdoor knitwear website, all in the Uk for the white and also navy sub roll necks.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Any one have personal experience with the Outdoor Knitwear Sub Sweater?

They have only been on their website for about 3 weeks, so might be a bit early for other gents opinions yet, however, I have one, that I bought a few years ago from another firm in the UK and the label in said it was made by Woolly Pully and as outdoor knitwear seem to have a connection with that brand for other sweaters I wonder, but don't know for sure, if their Sub Sweaters would also be made by Woolly Pully, if so the one I have is fine indeed. I also have another sweater from Outdoor knitwear which is very good. Rgds.

keith

New in Town
hi,
I used to work for them in their warehouse, and we supplied the British MOD with them for years, so they are the real thing, made in England.

Sorry to sound like a saleman.

Keith

keith

New in Town
All i can say that almost every retailer buys them wholesale from Outdoorknitwear, I worked in the warehouse before i retired

H.Johnson

One Too Many
RN Jersey White

Just a note (please, I don't want to start another 'war') that original military surplus examples of the Jersey White (usually made by J.Pick in Leicester) are not that uncommon in UK military surplus shops, for those who have access to such and the time to browse. They are usually much cheaper (like 4 or 5 times) than you find new in the the web shops. Oh, and they're real...

keith

New in Town
Just a note (please, I don't want to start another 'war') that original military surplus examples of the Jersey White (usually made by J.Pick in Leicester) are not that uncommon in UK military surplus shops, for those who have access to such and the time to browse. They are usually much cheaper (like 4 or 5 times) than you find new in the the web shops. Oh, and they're real...

Hi, you are correct J.Pick along with my old company both made the sub sweater, J.Pick went bust in the late 1980s, and my old company still makes them for the Royal Navy.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Just ordered Nauticalia Submariner Sweater so when I get home in a few weeks i can give a report on what I think of them and how they fit.

Thanks for all the links

Good day, I would be interested to hear what you thought of the Nauticalia Submariner Sweater as they seem to be the only firm that does them in Navy Blue as well as white which are easier to buy. I was considerings getting one in Navy Blue....Rgds.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
hi,
I used to work for them in their warehouse, and we supplied the British MOD with them for years, so they are the real thing, made in England.

Sorry to sound like a saleman.

Keith

They seem to be a good firm with a good and enlarged range of products. As I mentioned before, I have had purchases from them in the past and was very pleased with them. (I think they used to be called Comando Knitwear?) Rgds.

_RAGNAR_

One of the Regulars
Good day, I would be interested to hear what you thought of the Nauticalia Submariner Sweater as they seem to be the only firm that does them in Navy Blue as well as white which are easier to buy. I was considerings getting one in Navy Blue....Rgds.

I ordered one of each, they look a little different from some others in that the sleeves were turned back. Don't know if they are really different, but I will let you know how they look and fit.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Yes, I was pleased to see that the RN was still contracting these in Leicester. J. Pick's old premises is now 'executive apartments' I see. A pity, I think.

Hi, you are correct J.Pick along with my old company both made the sub sweater, J.Pick went bust in the late 1980s, and my old company still makes them for the Royal Navy.

keith

New in Town
Yes, I was pleased to see that the RN was still contracting these in Leicester. J. Pick's old premises is now 'executive apartments' I see. A pity, I think.

In the 70s their was over 500 knitwear companies in Leicester, Dont know how many is left but it must be less than 20.

My old company employs about 100, and seem to be still going strong.

Whithead

Familiar Face
I was in the process of ordering one from Outdoor Knitwear when the shipping popped up as $40 US....is that typical of the cost to mail a sweater to the states?

Corto

A-List Customer
I was in the process of ordering one from Outdoor Knitwear when the shipping popped up as $40 US....is that typical of the cost to mail a sweater to the states?
Oh yes. Very typical. I just sucked it up after wanting to get one for years. Totally worth it if the sweater is good. I get a lot of wear out of mine (from Silverman's). Wish I'd bought it years ago.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Keith,

My favourite Jersey, Heavy, which I have owned and put to heavy use for thirty years, is by Glen Gordon Ltd. I always assumed them to be Scottish. Have you any idea if they were one of the Leicester companies?

In the 70s their was over 500 knitwear companies in Leicester, Dont know how many is left but it must be less than 20.

My old company employs about 100, and seem to be still going strong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ