Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

White tie breast pocket

Dr Kilroy

One of the Regulars
Hello, there is a question I want to ask you.

Originally, dress coat had no breast pocket, which is acceptable since edwardian era. Some even today left the pocket empty.

Are you pro-pocket square or anti-pocket square, when it comes to dress coats?

Best regards, Dr

Cobden

Practically Family
Usually pro, but not if I'm wearing a buttonhole - no real reason other than, with my slight build, it ends up looking too clustered up there

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Pro!
I have heard referenced a few places that on the Continent one does not wear both a buttoniere and a pocket square. However, I have seen way too many photos of formal events and balls in France and other places from the Golden Era where men sport both to think this was/is really the case. Just my thoughts.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
I'm not just pro, I'm anti-pocket squareless; pretty much all modes of formal wear look offensively dull without a pocket square! In an era when most men don't know to wear one in the first place consciously not wearing one is a sartorial subtlety that will go unnoticed for all the wrong reasons . . .

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
If there's a pocket there then it is meant to be used, otherwise, why is it there for? To put pens in? To trap dust? I think not...

Re: square and buttonhole. I don't see why not as I have seen this done many times, in olden and modern times. What I would say is that you shouldn't wear a buttonhole if you also wear decorations.

Cobden

Practically Family
If there's a pocket there then it is meant to be used, otherwise, why is it there for? To put pens in? To trap dust? I think not...

Re: square and buttonhole. I don't see why not as I have seen this done many times, in olden and modern times. What I would say is that you shouldn't wear a buttonhole if you also wear decorations.

Oh, I do agree - it works with most people. I just don't like how it looks on me - generally speaking, I should add, I tend not to wear the buttonhole rather then not wear the pocket handkercheif

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
The lapels of my bodycoat are rather wide that they cover most of the pocket anyways so you just see a bit of the pocket linen so a buttonhole will not make it any busier in that area.

Of course, if I was wearing a bar of medals and a breast star I would probably go without the square altogether to keep things less cluttered.

Cobden

Practically Family
The lapels of my bodycoat are rather wide that they cover most of the pocket anyways so you just see a bit of the pocket linen so a buttonhole will not make it any busier in that area.

Of course, if I was wearing a bar of medals and a breast star I would probably go without the square altogether to keep things less cluttered.

Ah, my lapels are also wide, but the buttonhole is at the same level as the pocket. Regarding medals, I suppose it would depend on the military tradition of the country - if full size medals are worn above the pocket, then no pocket handkercheif. If it follows the British tradition and miniatures are worn on the lapel, then no pocket square. Not that this would affect me in any way shape or form, I hasten to add!

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Face it fellas - white tie today is no longer a style. It's a uniform, acceptable only in very limited situations where protocol is everything. If there's not a president, a royal, or a Grand Exalted Muckymuck in the room, you're probably showing off.

As such, I would think no hankey would be more in the spirit of things. I know I wouldn't wear one if I played in the symphony, altho I might to a fraternal or diplomatic do.

Last edited:

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
Face it fellas - white tie today is no longer a style. It's a uniform, acceptable only in very limited situations where protocol is everything. If there's not a president, a royal, or a Grand Exalted Muckymuck in the room, you're probably showing off.

We Brits beg to differ (some of my friends go to parties/balls/dinners/etc in white tie every month; not because it is the prescribed dress code but because it is appropriate for the occasion though sometimes it is explicitly prescribed). It may not be 'in style' in America or wherever else but it is so in the UK of GB and NI. Honi soit qui mal y pense.

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
We Brits beg to differ (some of my friends go to parties/balls/dinners/etc in white tie every month; not because it is the prescribed dress code but because it is appropriate for the occasion though sometimes it is explicitly prescribed). It may not be 'in style' in America or wherever else but it is so in the UK of GB and NI. Honi soit qui mal y pense.

"Oh, to be in England
Now that April's there," [nearly so]
--Robert Browning

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Personally, I wish we had the option. Having so eagerly embraced egalitarianism and informality, we're rather stuck with looking that way.

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
BTW, I favor pocket square and buttonhole, but must be all white, of course.
13334-004-5D86D7AA.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy