Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

White Tie - Double striped trousers

Happy Stroller

One of the Regulars
Apparently the British formal dress pants for White Tie functions is double striped vs single stripe for the American equivalent. I understand the British distinguish between their double stripe White Tie pants and their single stripe Black Tie pants by referring only to the former pants as full dress pants. Better put on a raincoat the next time one attends a Black Tie function.

For the American equivalent, the single stripe is in front of the trouser's side pocket slit opening.

I suppose that would be the same position for one of the two stripes on the British trousers. Can someone tell me where the other stripe is on the British trousers? Is it further in front of the first stripe? Or, is it behind the side pocket slit opening? And how far apart are the two stripes?

Happy Stroller

One of the Regulars
Happy Stroller said:
:
For the American equivalent, the single stripe is in front of the trouser's side pocket slit opening.
:
======================= End of quote ===================

Oops, I meant to say the single stripe is behind the trouser side pocket besom slit opening.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Happy Stroller said:
Can someone tell me where the other stripe is on the British trousers? Is it further in front of the first stripe? Or, is it behind the side pocket slit opening? And how far apart are the two stripes?

lol Stroller, you are keeping me in stitches (pun intended)! I haven't laughed so much in months.

How much longer will Loungers let themselves be strung along by such nuttily arcane (and very amusing) questions? It's as if the London Lounge has sent over an infiltrator! lol

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Happy Stroller said:
Apparently the British formal dress pants for White Tie functions is double striped vs single stripe for the American equivalent.

I believe that both British and American White Tie dress require trousers with double stripes.

Happy Stroller

One of the Regulars
Marc Chevalier said:
lol Stroller, you are keeping me in stitches (pun intended)! I haven't laughed so much in months.

How much longer will Loungers let themselves be strung along by such nuttily arcane (and very amusing) questions? It's as if the London Lounge has sent over an infiltrator! lol

===================== End of quote =====================

Thanks for your London Lounge lead, Marc.

I found the London Lounge website wonderful. There was a huge article relating to White Tie dress of the 1930s by someone called etutee, if I recall that name correctly.

Happy Stroller

One of the Regulars
Marc Chevalier said:
Happy Stroller is a one-man London Lounge. If I didn't find him funny, I'd have to slap him on both cheeks with a wet herring.

=================== End of quote ========================

Please feel free to do so, Marc. Herrings of any color but red please.

Happy Stroller

One of the Regulars
Marc Chevalier said:
Well, you and the London Lounge are a match made in heaven. I'm sure that site has anticipated whatever questions you may have, no matter how arcane.

In any case, I'll miss you pulling our leg.

======================= End of quote ===================

Unfortunately, I am still waiting for my application to join the London Lounge to be accepted.

There was a pretty good sketch showing a gentleman wearing double stripe formal pants. His hands were in the hip pockets. At least one of the two stripes was in front of the pocket. But I'm still not sure about the other stripe's position.

shindeco

A-List Customer
No one has actually answered the question so here goes:

both stripes are in front of the side seam. When you put your hands in the pockets, you should see both stripes on the pocket.

In a brazen attempt to predict some other arcana that you may be wondering about:D :

The braid (it's usually just narrow grosgrain ribbon) is usually about three sixteenths of an inch (4 mm) wide; the space between the braids is slightly less than the width of the ribbon; it doesn't go on to the waistband (assuming there is one); ummmm, I can't think of anything else, sorry

Happy Stroller

One of the Regulars
Thanks, Shindeco.

I wonder if the single stripe is much broader than each of the double stripes, perhaps twice as broad, say?

manton

A-List Customer
One reason why single stripe dress trousers were so common in America is that Brooks Brothers (by far the single largest source of white tie gear in this country) used to (and may still, for all I know) sell all its formal wear as separates. That is, the trousers were over here, the various coat styles over there, the vests over there, etc. Nothing was sold as a complete set. You bought everything individually in your own size. It was all made from the same cloth, and had the same trimmings. To save money and simplify things, they only had one model of dress trouser, and it had a single stripe. Thus, if you got tails from Brooks, you bought their one and only (single stripe) dress trouser, along with your tailcoat. Savile Row, on the other hand, as well as all the NY tailors, considered two stripes de riguer for white tie.

I can sort of see Brooks' point. It's sort of galling to have to buy two nearly identical trousers, the only difference being the presense or absense of one stripe.

David V

A-List Customer
Is pocket placement different with formal (tails) vs. lounge(tux)? I have heard that the pockets on tail coat trousers were forward so that when you put your hand in your pocket you did not push back the tail.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic