Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

White's Semi-dress Boots..

Doug C

Practically Family
Does anyone here have a pair? I'm thinking about buying some but would like to get some input first, just looking for comments and hopefully pictures besides the one's on the website. I have aldens and they are fine but I like a slightly turned up toe area in a boot and I find the Aldens to be very flat. I found the Whites at a site offering them $40 cheaper than buying them through White, anyone used this place?
http://shop.linegear.com/product_in...=1423&osCsid=758b289643f5bbba37556f72a5d56ff2

Doug C

Mike K.

One Too Many
Haven't got this particular type of footwear, but I can attest to the quality of White's products and their lifetime repair warranty. Highly recommended!

Doug C

Practically Family
I like the look though there are far too few pictures to be found, but I wonder about the heel, it looks a little higher than I normally prefer..

Doug C

A significant upturn.

Back in the mid to late 80's I sold shoes at a JC Pennys in the Montebello Town Center. In the video I watched they said that in shoes if the customer came in with upturned toe sections it was usually because they did not know they had a wide foot and bought medium width shoes that were too large (long in lenght) to accomodate their foot. Since the front section was longer than their foot and their toes did not re-enfoce the sole, the shoe turned up from use. I was able to use that fact to get several people to let me measure their feet and then get them properly fitted.;)

ValleyBoy

Familiar Face
John in Covina said:
Back in the mid to late 80's I sold shoes at a JC Pennys in the Montebello Town Center. In the video I watched they said that in shoes if the customer came in with upturned toe sections it was usually because they did not know they had a wide foot and bought medium width shoes that were too large (long in lenght) to accomodate their foot. Since the front section was longer than their foot and their toes did not re-enfoce the sole, the shoe turned up from use. I was able to use that fact to get several people to let me measure their feet and then get them properly fitted.;)

You're absolutely correct about the upturn. I have seen this among many men whose cowboy boots are to long. The stirrups do a number on them.

Doug C

Practically Family
Thanks guys, but I'm just referring to the natural (new/un-used) look of this boot compared to an Alden. If you look at both the Alden is very flat looking at the toe area while the White is (only somewhat) turned up looking, just a design of the toe box I'm sure. I'm a fan of well fitting foot wear too.

Doug C

pablocham

One of the Regulars
I am wearing my white's right now. I love them. There are no other boots in the world that are anything like them. They look much more extreme in the photo than they do when you are actually wearing them. The heel is about the same height as the heel on a pair of Wellingtons or similar boots. I recommend them. I have, among other shoes, a pair of Alden Indy's and a pair of White's Semi-dress. I don't ever wear the Indy's, but I wear the White's all the time. That is just my taste, for what it's worth.

jake431

Practically Family
pablocham said:
I am wearing my white's right now. I love them. There are no other boots in the world that are anything like them. They look much more extreme in the photo than they do when you are actually wearing them. The heel is about the same height as the heel on a pair of Wellingtons or similar boots. I recommend them. I have, among other shoes, a pair of Alden Indy's and a pair of White's Semi-dress. I don't ever wear the Indy's, but I wear the White's all the time. That is just my taste, for what it's worth.

Pictures? I'd like to see a semi-dress boot on an actual human foot.

Thanks,
-Jake

Doug C

Practically Family
Jake wrote:
on an actual human foot.

That's what I'm sayin'!! I'm considering letting my Aldens go to help fund a pair of White semi-dress boots but I'd like to see someone wearing them before I make that kind of commitment. Ideally I could keep both, but man these darn boots are expensive just to have one pair sit in the closet all the time.

Thanks for the comments Pablo - are yours the single layer leather sole or the composition? What color? I suspect they feel more like you're wearing cowboy boots because of the higher heel - is that a correct assessment?

Do you guys think that the site I posted is a good one, they sell 'em for $40 less than getting them from White's. I think you get "off the shelf" sizing through them but I'm not entirely sure I'd need special measurements. That how I bought my Aldens and they fit great.

Doug C

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
John in Covina said:

These days the problem is that too few places sell (and, I believe, too few companies make) shoes in different widths. The attitude is that if you need a wider shoe, buy the next size up. This is why many of my shoe purchases are made online--I get tired of looking at a shoe I like, only to be told it's not available in my 10 1/2 wide size.

Cheers,
Tom

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Pablo...any photos please?

pablocham said:
I am wearing my white's right now. I love them. There are no other boots in the world that are anything like them.

Pablo, when you have a spare moment (I'm sure I'm echoing the thoughts of the boys here), any chance you could snap off a few photos of your Whites please? We'd love to get a lookie at them ;)

'Always good to see them after some 'real' use!! thanks for your help with this!!

Kindest Regards, Paddy.

Speedster

Practically Family
Have a look on page 2 in this thread "30's~40's Work Boots":
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=4458
Post #29 has pictures of a used pair of White's Semi Dress boots.

They are somewhat expensive, but very cool. And i want a pair (someday)...

Edit: Here are the pictures (i needed them for my own future reference, so uploaded them):

whitesboots1qt.jpg

whitesbootsside8zm.jpg

However the other thread i referred to is still well worth a read.

Edward

Bartender
Gorgeous.... This is the sort of thing i want to go over to for casual wear all the time. If only they weren't so damned expensive, though I guess that a boot like that should last longer than something lower priced?

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
For UK MEMBERS...

Well boys, last year you could have got them for half price, as the exchange rate was topping out in the UK's favour at $2.20 (yes...!!) to the £..!!:eek:

Those Halcyon days have now gone :(

But the WHITES are lovely.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
I was thinking about the £/$ rate yesterday, Paddy, as I looked over my 'to buy' list, including White's boots, a couple of possible Lost Worlds items and various bits from US repro vendors.

I've a feeling it might turn again. But I'm not holding my breath.

mike

Call Me a Cab
I got a pair on ebay for about $275 aaaand I love em! They were rough to break in, mainly around the ankle but I wear them almost every day now and can't speak highly enough of them! (Although the 400 buck price tag is, in my mind, too much for any shoe, but to each his own) The pair I got are brown and single leather soled. The cuban heel is very striking and really sets it apart from any other (non-cowboy) boot out there. The tongue is incredibly soft. Mine didn't come with the top hooks but rather regular lace holes, which is fine, you don't need to undo them to take them on or off since they aren't particularly high. The overall construction is really pretty interesting and always gets comments. I try to dance around the question of how much they go for as I really think anything over $200 is just too much for shoes, even if the argument can be made that the more you spend the longer the life and happier your feet etc... In short, excellent shoe but monitor ebay for a deal and go with what your red wing size would be! :)

Golden Earache

One of the Regulars
Best boot ever

I wear mine every day, only problem is I can't afford another pair right now and I don't want to wear anything else. Mine are single leather with a vibram 430 mini lug sole. I had to order them and they took a while. I will be buying my next pair from linegear. Sienna water buffalo with a 705 half-sole, oh yeah!

mike

Call Me a Cab
bburtner@moran said:
Have a look at the Red Wing "Gentleman Travelers" in black. 239.00.Good boot also and less $$.

I like the Red Wing a lot, but side by side, White's boot makes the Gentleman Traveler look like just another boot! I realize that's crazy to say, but it's true!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21