Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

White's Semi-dress Boots..

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, univibe.

I think that these photos may have just sold me on the Horween
from styleforum
whitesj.jpg

from SuFu
DSC_3407.jpg

The dress brown is very nice, but the Horween has a great depth to it. I also think that I'm going to go with the close trim, as my feet are already big enough.

What are your (anyone's) thoughts on the swing last?

ETA: Hmm. I'm not sure if close trim or the swing last are available on the Bounty Hunter/Semi Dress custom and I'm not sure if that model would need either one.

Last edited:

KyleK

One of the Regulars
Lefty,
I have a pair of Bounty Hunter's from Baker's. Love 'em. About 2yrs old. Dress brown, no cap, lined, rolled top, loops (one did start to tear before I stopped using them). Vibram mini lug sole. Great boots - I wear them practically everyday through Fall-Winter-Early Spring. I've only polished and Sno-Sealed them once. They look like nicely broken in but aside from that fairly new. There's the beginnings of some nice color wear at the toes and heels. They do appear almost black most of the time. The pics I've seen of the Horween brown nice and worn are very tempting, however.
If I were buying another pair I'd get the Horween brown or black with half soles, lined, no loops, and a cap toe. I like the cap toe look and went back and forth about it before ordering. After having the Bounty Hunters for awhile (and looking at them, a lot) I think they'd benefit from the added visual "bulk" of a cap at the toes - they look a little heel heavy from certain angles. I think the Semi Dress last is narrower than the typical Smokejumper last up front. The cap would help balance the overall look of the boot.
Or I'd just go for a straight up Semi Dress.
I'm nitpicking, for sure, because these things are the by far the best boots I've ever owned. They get more comfortable everyday I wear them and I'm more than 300 days in.
Good luck with the choosing!

1911 Man

A-List Customer
I contacted Bakers a while ago to ask about ordering Bounty Hunters with a close trim, and they said it was no problem, but I don't know about the swing last.

My Whites are British tan, and it is great. I also have a pair of Alden Indys in Chromexel brown, the 403's. They are a great color, a rich brown with hints of red in the right light. The only drawback to them is that they scuff very easily. I find I have to touch them up with shoe cream or pecards after each wearing, or even just thinking about wearing them.

illumin8em

A-List Customer
i sure would love to see those british tan boots

I contacted Bakers a while ago to ask about ordering Bounty Hunters with a close trim, and they said it was no problem, but I don't know about the swing last.

My Whites are British tan, and it is great. I also have a pair of Alden Indys in Chromexel brown, the 403's. They are a great color, a rich brown with hints of red in the right light. The only drawback to them is that they scuff very easily. I find I have to touch them up with shoe cream or pecards after each wearing, or even just thinking about wearing them.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the help, KyleK.

i sure would love to see those british tan boots.

+1. The tan looks a little "flat" to me when it's new, but I'm sure it takes on character with wear.

I'm pretty much set on my order at this point, and I'm going with the brown chrome excel. Tomorrow, I'm mailing my tracings and measurements to Baker's to get sizing info. I've abandoned Cat's Paws because (1) Baker's is out of them, and (2) when I started searching for them, I found way too many results where users said that they looked cool, but Vibram half-soles will last far longer.

One decision left: liner? Kyle at Baker's said that liners often feel hot. What do you guys think? I'm not going to be wearing big, thick hiking socks all the time (and took my measurements in my casual, cotton socks), so I don't know if I need to be worried about the extra-heat of the liner.

univibe88

One Too Many
Lefty, I think the only way for one to comment on the warmth of the liners would be to spend some time in a pair with and without liners. I don't know if there are many people here with multiple pairs. That being said I have never had any issues with the liners in mine. I wore mine all summer with medium weight cotton socks. But I was sitting in an office. I wasn't standing around all day in the field.

You also asked about the swing last. I got it because I am a sucker for options and customization. But I still don't really understand what it is and how it differs. So I can't say if I am glad or regret getting it. I would love to see in person identical boots (same size, color, etc) with and without the swing last to fully understand the difference.

Last edited:

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Thanks again. For the many posts on White's with liners that I've seen, I've yet to read anyone's account of overheating from liners. So I'm in on a liner. The cream liner looks a bit white to me, so I'm thinking either brown or red, depending upon whether it's more oxblood or bright, candy apple. If possible, I'll get Kyle to email me a photo to compare.

I'm out on the swing last, as that seems to be more for people who have problems with "regular" fitting boots and need a bit more toe room.

That seems to be everything. It's a relief to finally have a design set after running so many searches to see photos of the different variables in action and on different colors/styles. This shopping stuff is stressful. :)

univibe88

One Too Many
I was worried about the white getting dirty so I went with red. I actually hoped it was apple red, but it is not. It is a sienna brown. Scan up in this thread and you will find pics of my boots and liners.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Despite your every effort to highlight it, I somehow missed that one. Thanks. That's exactly what I was hoping to find.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
The dress brown color reminds me of Blundstone's Stout Brown, which is damn near black. I'm leaning towards the brown chromexcel.

IsaacRN

One of the Regulars
Well thanks to Lefty, I just ordered my second pair of White's Boots. I just loved the look of the Chromexcel Brown. I have been wanting to buy a brown pair, but the pics threw me over the edge. Should have them in 6 weeks or less hopefully.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
:)

As soon as Baker's calls me with sizing info from my tracings, I'll be right there with you.

Cobassi

New in Town
I'm a couple of steps behind you guys as I'm still trying build my ideal boot. This site and a number of other sites (including Whites, Bakers and a handful of retailers in Asia) have helped me narrow it down. I just wish I could see/feel the leather choices in person.

At this point, it's looking like:
- 6" Bounty Hunter from Bakers
- Brown Chromexcel all over (but toying with a combo of Brown Chrome with the upper part of the boot in Brown Bull hide)
- Close trim single sole with half-sole composition vibram (can't decide on Natural or Brown edging)
- Toe Cap
- Antique eyelets and hooks
- Cuban heel

If anybody has this "build", I'd love to see pics. Also, any comments/experience with Brown Bullhide and how it looks next to Brown Chrome will be greatly appreciated.

IsaacRN

One of the Regulars
Is there any advantage of going with Baker's site over going with Whites directly? I personally purchased from Whites, and found the price to be about the same shipped as with Baker's.

Cobassi

New in Town
I'm not sure. You would think that it would make good sense to go directly to the manufacturer. However, I'm interested in the"Bounty Hunter" design and from what I can tell, you can only order that from Bakers. Doesn't make a lot of sense since Whites makes the boot, but I suspect it has to do with White's marketing strategy and reseller agreements.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I'm pretty excited about this:

Thank you for your purchase, your order details are below.

Product Quantity Price Total
Baker's Custom Bounty Hunter by White's Boots
Counter Leather Brown Chome Excel by Horween, Celastic Toe Box No Thanks, Height 6", Midsole Single, Last Semi Dress (Bounty Hunter), Steel Toe No Thanks, Upper (Shaft) Leather Brown Chome Excel by Horween, Toe Cap No Thanks, Toe Vamp Leather Brown Chome Excel by Horween, Top Rolled Top, Hardware Antique Eyes & Hooks, Leather Liner Red, Size - Width D (medium), Lace Design Plain Toe, Sole Vibram Composition Half Sole, Toe Cap Leather Color Does not apply, Edge Brown, Size - Length 12

Be sure to check out their weekly promo codes. I saved $12.50 - not exactly a big percentage of the purchase, but still nice.

CodeRed

One of the Regulars
^ That is a solid order. The red leather lining will look great too. Post pics when you get them.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, and I will. In the notes section of the order (per Kyle's instructions), I also requested the close trim, leather laces, and no White's stamp on the leather.

IsaacRN

One of the Regulars
Now I am wanting a pair of the Bounty Hunters. I wish they were a few hundred cheaper and I would definitely have a fleet of their boots. Im going to have to wait till next year for my next pair.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn