Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

White's Semi-dress Boots..

gd1944

New in Town
Damn! That Burgundy CXL sure looks purty. Can't decide between that and the horsehide for my next pair of semi-dress. Oh well, maybe both!

Is that a double leather sole?

Yes, that is a Double Leather Sole, just like 1911 Man's, only with double stitched trim and a cuban heel.

gd1944

New in Town
Well I just received my Brown Chromexcel Semi Dress. I need everyone's opinion. They didn't dye my soles like I had asked, and instead left it natural. I already called White's who said they would have no issue dyeing the boots, but I told them I might give it a go for a bit. What do you all think?

DSC_0194.jpg
DSC_0193.jpg

I think the Brown CXL is better coupled with a Natural Edge.

Here is a contrast of 2 Bounty Hunters (Smoke Jumper + Semi-Dress Last), with almost identical specifics, both Brown CXL, only with Natrual and Brown dyed edge:

Brown CXL + Natural Edge
bb865e20_SSA52706.jpeg

Brown CXL + Brown Edge
558dd28c_SSA53019.jpeg

halberdklown

New in Town
I happen to have photos of a Semi-Dress with the Burgundy Chrome Excel, it was also a boot for my client.
So I think I can let you have a look of the actual color before you get your own.

1afc260b_SSA52860.jpeg

c3ee050d_SSA52869.jpeg

4fab0756_SSA52872.jpeg

5954ba5b_SSA52881.jpeg

7b680c13_SSA52905.jpeg

e9358be9_SSA52921.jpeg

290cce93_SSA52930.jpeg

a50f0c43_SSA52933.jpeg
these look incredible!
quick question gd1944, since it looks like you get to deal with several different configurations for the whites:

Do you feel that this leather is ideal to have without lining? or would lining it make it feel more "substantial"?

Also, if you have handled some pairs with the half soles, how high is the heel?

gd1944

New in Town
these look incredible!
quick question gd1944, since it looks like you get to deal with several different configurations for the whites:

Do you feel that this leather is ideal to have without lining? or would lining it make it feel more "substantial"?

Also, if you have handled some pairs with the half soles, how heigh is the heel?

The Chrome Excel Leather is very thick and substantial. A leather liner is not necessary, but not bad either.

I have only handled one pair of half soles, didn't measure the dimentions though.

To my understanding, White's Heel Hight is constant according to heel lifts feeling, no matter you use a half sole or full length rubber outsole, or just leather sole. It feels the same on feet.
Which is, if you use single midsole + half sole, the heel hight is the same as using single midsole + full length rubber sole.
But if you use single leather sole, the heel hight will be one lift lower than using single midsole + half sole (or single midsole + full length rubber sole).
And if you use double midsole + half sole, it will be one lift higher than single midsole + half sole (or single midsole + full length rubber sole), while should be the same as double midsole + full length rubber sole.
However, my theroy remains to be further proved.

Hope you understand my English.

Last edited:

halberdklown

New in Town
^ thank you very much for the response! I figured it would be similar in feeling on the foot between those different sole choices. I was mainly asking because I'm a little worried by how tall the heel looks in person. My thought is to get a single leather midsole with the rubber half soles with one lift lower in the heel. do you think it would make the boot too imbalanced?

gd1944

New in Town
^ thank you very much for the response! I figured it would be similar in feeling on the foot between those different sole choices. I was mainly asking because I'm a little worried by how tall the heel looks in person. My thought is to get a single leather midsole with the rubber half soles with one lift lower in the heel. do you think it would make the boot too imbalanced?

As long as you get a half rubber sole in the forefoot, the heel hight should be the same as any other 2-layer forefoot boots, including the Burgundy boot I posted above (2-layer leather, rather than 1 leather + 1 rubber).
So, just imagine that boot got lowered by one lift in the heel.
And it should actually be the same heel hight as IsaacRN's new boot above. His is 1-layer forefoot + standard heel hight, which should be the same as 2-layer forefoot + 1 lift lower heel hight.

Last edited:

univibe88

One Too Many
I am loving all of the recent pics!

gd1944, good explanation on the use of heel lifts to keep the height constant relative to the use of single/double/half soles. I agree with that you have written.

halberdklown, the heel is not too tall at all. I wouldn't recommend asking to get it lowered. I have a single leather midsole with a half rubber sole. I left the heel "standard" and it is just fine.

Last edited:

Carnacki25

New in Town
Can someone give me an idea how tall the typical heel is on the stock semi dress? When they say lower it by 1/4 of an inch, will it be similar to a typical heel height? Thanks and the Chromexcel looks great in both colors. That #8 is calling my name.

univibe88

One Too Many
I don't know how to describe it. Are you worried about it looking too tall or feeling too tall? Even from the moment I put mine on I did not feel like I was wearing heels. They are extremely comfortable. I figure White's designed them they way they did for a reason. Also, I have never felt self conscious wearing them either. No one has ever commented on the heels looking too high. I'm not sure why anyone would want to get the heels lowered.

halberdklown

New in Town
^my worry was how tall it would look. Being 22 and barely a few years over my sneaker addiction in favor of a better look, it just feels like it would be a dramatic change. I was considering getting the heel lowered by 1/4 only in hopes of it matching my others boots. I think the main problem is the lack of "fit" pictures where you get to see the whole person wearing the boots, in order to get a better perspective of heel size relative to a person's height. the close up feet pictures people tend to show just make the heel look a bit more dramatic than it probably is. just my 2 cents

PoohBang

Suspended
the standard heels are fine. Unless you're getting a double sole or triple sole you'll be fine. I don't think they're as tall as cowboy boots. Plus, having them lower might affect the fit of the boot as the arch support is made for that heel height.

You can always lower them once you get them if they bother you....

Mark56

New in Town
I'm pretty short at 5'7" and I feel the 1/4" lowered heel is just right. If I'm not mistaken, it isn't a real 1/4", it's just their description of lowering the heal. It doesn't affect the the arch. Great pair of boots, very comfy, durable, good looking and can go anywhere. Sorry no pics. I got mine with the commando sole.

Carnacki25

New in Town
I had some Nick's ranchers and I found the heel to be too high, I felt like I was going to teeter over like a lady with high heels, but I imagine that the semi dress heels are a bit lower than those.

lupo

New in Town
Heels

One thing I'll point out, which I don't think anybody else mentioned. Even though the block heel looks better to my eyes, the standard cowboy heel is probably more practical. I got block heels, and they wore really fast at the heel tip (where it hits the ground first). I've had to put protectors on the heel to prevent going to the leather after only three months. This might have something to do with my particular gait, but I suspect they chose the cowboy heel as a standard for a reason. My next pair will have the cowboy style heels.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
The cuban heels do last longer, it's because the heels are so tall. Having part of the heel cut off shortens the length of the stride you take... Simple geometry... And thereby removes the force with which you hit the ground. Not only does the heel look better in my opinion, but the cuban/shaped heel also serves a practical purpose.

IsaacRN

One of the Regulars
I have a dilemma with the shoes I received for Christmas. They are the burgundy chromexcel. It seems that possibly during shipping the toe became scuffed. I think it's enought to try to request a replacement. My family thinks I'm crazy and say that they won't stay new forever. What is your opinion? It may be a few days before I can post some pics.

I think the color variation is going to look great on the burgundy by the way. It seems to lighten on break points.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn