Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

White's Semi-dress Boots..

1911 Man

A-List Customer
So now I am in a quandry. I love my Whites in the British Tan, but wanted to order a second pair. I want a nice rich brown with a mini lug sole to wear in winter time, and began thinking the slightly taller Bounty Hunters would be better for a winter boot (taller just seems more wintery?). I would only be going up to the 6", I think the 8" would be too high. The semi dress brown is too dark, I like the Chromexel brown a lot, but it scuffs so easily. Now bl@ster has posted pics of brown horsehide, and I realized that is the leather I want. So I emailed Baker, and asked if they could make the Bounty Hunters in Horsehide, and they said no. So do I go with the 5" horsehide for the leather I want, or stick with the chromexel so I get the taller boot height I want?

univibe88

One Too Many
Damn, that is a shame! That horsehide is beautiful and would make a great winter boat. I agree that the semi-dress isn't tall enough to be a good winter boot. Your ankles would no doubt get wet with snow. Maybe ask Baker what leather they recommend for a Bounty Hunter with lug soles for winter use. They might surprise you with a recommendation you hadn't thought of. Or ask them "prettttty pleeeeeassse make some Bounty hunter's in horsehide"

1911 Man

A-List Customer
My chromexel bounty hunters just shipped today, so I should be able to post photos within the next week. That might help you decide.

Please do. Please photo them in both sunlight and artificial light if possible, and let me know if there is much red in the color. The chromexel sample Whites sent me is very brown, no red, but my chromexel Indy boots have a decent amount of red in them.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I'll see what I can do. Unfortunately, I was told they shipped on Tuesday, but they're actually just going out today, so it won't be until next week.

gd1944

New in Town
1911 Man, I think you should also consider the 7-8oz Oil-Tanned Leather Brown Smooth and Red Dog Smooth. The former has a similar color but less shine than the Brown Chrome Excel, while the later has a lot of red in it. They are both the toughest leather White's can provide, and are not so soft as the Chrome Excel.

I have a Brown Smooth Smoke Jumper under construction right now, I'll have its photo posted early next month, to let you have a look.

1911 Man

A-List Customer
1911 Man, I think you should also consider the 7-8oz Oil-Tanned Leather Brown Smooth and Red Dog Smooth. The former has a similar color but less shine than the Brown Chrome Excel, while the later has a lot of red in it. They are both the toughest leather White's can provide, and are not so soft as the Chrome Excel.

I have a Brown Smooth Smoke Jumper under construction right now, I'll have its photo posted early next month, to let you have a look.

I have thought about the brown smooth. I wondered if it would be dark brown enough. Maybe I'll ask Whites to send a sample. In the meantime, please post pics when you get them, I would love to see them.

CodeRed

One of the Regulars
The brown smooth is a great leather, if you condition it will darken up a bit, just got my SJ's in it too.

1911 Man

A-List Customer
So I've been going back and looking over this thread. On page 26 and 27, gd1944 and IsaacRN have posted some very nice pics of Chromexel boots that I either missed when they were posted, or saw and forgot about because I wasn't thinking about chromexel boots at the time they were posted. But seeing them now has convinced me that if I spring for another pair of Whites boots, I will go for the chromexel. I had been thinking 6" Bounty hunters, but now am wondering if I might prefer 8". I have a few months to decide, I won't be ordering until late summer at the soonest. Has anyone here ordered the 8" Bounty Hunters?

CodeRed

One of the Regulars
I like 8" SJs and 6" BHs...the xtra 2" makes a big difference when lacing them up. Much more easy with the 6, but much more "tied in" to the boot at 8...depends on what you want.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I've had a pair of 5" boots (in the same style as the semi-dress) and couldn't handle a boot that low. With so little support on the leg, they just didn't feel like boots. These BHs feel far more substantial due to that extra inch and the heel counter - which keeps the boot from allowing your ankle to rotate too much.

I love the brown chromexel. It already has an aged look to it. After just one wearing, the leather laces are already putting some character into the tongues. I can't wait to see this leather evolve.
DSCN0087.jpg

DSCN0179.jpg

DSCN0169.jpg

DSCN0159.jpg

DSCN0174.jpg

DSCN0165.jpg

4spurs

One of the Regulars
Nice looking boots, what is the heel, traveler or their Cuban heel? Is it the standard heel height, or did you have it raised or lowered?

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Thanks. I asked for the block heel, but think I got the Cuban - which I think I prefer. Unless they changed something on me with the height of the heels as well, they should be standard height.

Tadite

Familiar Face
A couple of months ago I bought a pair of 5.5D sienna brown White's Farmer Ranchers with heel to toe lacing in Water Buffalo for my wife. As they're from White's ebay site I think they originated as a cancelled order from someone with amazingly small feet but with good taste. Perfect for my wife! The heel to toe lacing has also been a real advantage as she can use a larger range of socks depending on weather and our laundry!

Notice the triple soles. I think they're the thickest White's offers for normal boots. You can also see a bit of discoloration on the toes due to wear.

From the side.

Above gives a better idea of color.

And lastly a little bit of a close shot. Notice that the location of the leather changes dramatically the grain.

Great boots and the construction is at such a higher level that they've become what I compare all boots against.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo