Who are the decent+ quality American leather jacket makers?

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Hobbes1, May 13, 2021.

1. Hobbes1

Hobbes1 One of the Regulars

I know about Vanson and Schott. I feel sure there may be a variety of other jacket makers based in the US. Those who do custom work and those who are more OTR. Is there a list anywhere on here (I've searched and couldn't find one...may be operator error)? Otherwise, please give your ideas for good quality makers....I don't need the "best' necessarily...but at least a step up from Wilsons. Thanks

edit: I did a google search before posting this request. I got a lot of hits that were either not what I'm looking for or were resellers of Schott....

Last edited: May 13, 2021
  2. Monitor

Monitor

Langlitz, Johnson Leathers, Lost Worlds and Cal Leathers are pretty much the best there is.
    As for OTR, there's also Ralph Lauren that makes brilliant stuff, Levi's and of course all the major fashion brands.

3. Brandrea33

Brandrea33 One of the Regulars

There’s Goodwear if you can wait patiently :rolleyes:

4. Psant25

Psant25 One Too Many

What @Monitor said.

Also, Bates, brooks, fox creek come to mind as well. I have not owned any by those makers, however

I love my JL jackets and Langlitz are great I have another coming in July.

Monitor likes this.
  5. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

Don’t forget Norshor!

JustinW likes this.
  6. AeroFan_07

AeroFan_07 My Mail is Forwarded Here

Some lower tier but still Made in US Options: Hillside, Fox Creek, TRD Leathers,
    Also Gibson & Barnes but they seem to be slowly winding down.
    Rest have been very well covered above...

regius likes this.
  7. Hobbes1

Thanks, all. I forgot about a few of these and TBH, I'm not looking for the higher priced ones so much. I'm really lookimg for any makers more in the spot between Wilsons and Schott. 5* has made two for me but with covid shutdown, they have given me the opportunity think about domestic options.

8. Psant25

Psant25 One Too Many

I would consider Johnson Leathers strongly then. For many mods to a stock pattern and in horween cxl price gets up there. But stock leather and stock size maybe few slight adjustments price is around 700

handymike likes this.
  9. AeroFan_07

AeroFan_07 My Mail is Forwarded Here

Honestly, in this season the used market is a "buyer's" market. There are many options on ebay/grailed etc for pennies on the dollar just now if you keep you eye open, ask good quesitons, and know your dimensions...

Hobbes1 and Schambach like this.
  10. Hobbes1

Is there anything special about Fox Creek vs. Schott or Vanson? Price bracket is similar.

11. Kuro

Kuro Practically Family

Where is Vanson made?

12. Psant25

Psant25 One Too Many

I would choose schott or vanson over fox creek. I thought fox was a lower price. I know fit/style of fox is a little less modern and they used naked cowhide i believe

Monitor and ton312 like this.
  13. Jin431

Jin431 Call Me a Cab

I love JL, they are local to me and will be my go to US based maker. We all know about GW/vanson/Schott/Langlitz et al but the most interesting to me is Dave Sheeley

ton312 likes this.
  14. Schambach

Schambach One of the Regulars

Fall River, ma

15. Psant25

Psant25 One Too Many

Why is that may I ask?

Jin431 likes this.
  16. Jin431

Jin431 Call Me a Cab

He makes repros like other makers too and pretty much uses the similar hides/hardware/lining but I think his stitching is a little more advanced (similar to GW without the wait time)

Psant25 likes this.
  17. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

He specializes in Monarch repros, and does a fantastic job!

Psant25 and Jin431 like this.
  18. ton312

ton312

Dave and Norshor have been on my list forever. Just haven’t seen the pattern from either I really want yet. No doubt both make a top tier jacket with attention to detail that is every bit as good as GW.

photo2u and Jin431 like this.
  19. Hobbes1

What's up with the JL website? I think that i stopped on that site a long time ago and it was barren.....still barren. Where does one find out more,if one is not local?

Jin431 likes this.
  20. Psant25

Psant25 One Too Many

Pretty much on the lounge or call them. Can see some examples on their IG acct. they have many styles and variations. If you have a pic of a jacket you like shoot em an email, request samples of leather, etc. damon is great just give him a call

Jin431 and Hobbes1 like this.