Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who are your favorite big band singers?

Rafter

Suspended
For the 'girl singers' it would have to be:
Helen Forrest
Helen%20Forrest.jpg

Martha Tilton
martha3.jpg

Doris Day!!!
doris-day.jpg

For the 'gents',
Sinatra
sinatra.gif

Dick Haymes
h9.jpg

Andy Russell
ar.jpg

Rafter

Suspended
LizzieMaine said:
A bunch I like, for a bunch of different reasons:
Gals:Helen Ward, Kay Weber, Leah Ray, Vera Lynn
Guys:Al Bowlly, Phil Harris, Harry Babbitt, Pinky Tomlin
The only "gal" in you're list that I heard of was Helen Ward.... "You've Turned The Tables On Me".
Was Phil Harris a singer??...I just remember him as the stogie ole husband of
Alice Faye.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Harris was also a bandleader and the employer of Leah Ray. This may be "before your time" of the truly "pop" big bands. Harris' heyday was the early to mid '30s and he had moved on to full time radio by the era most are aware of. But he still did lead the Benny show band.

Likewise, Kay Weber was most prominent in the '30s with the Dorsey Bros. and Bob Crosby bands. I believe she had retired by 1940 - without establishing a solo act career.

Rafter

Suspended
I recently found out that that Ozzie Nelson was a famous big band singer in the 30's. He had many chart hits during that decade. It's hard for me to imagine that America's lamest TV dad was a swingin', jivin', cool big band dude. And his wife Harriet was also a big band singer to boot!!

The Nelson's also hold some kind of "record" !!!!
The Nelson clan had three generations of singers.
Starting with Ozzie & Harriet,
180px-Ozzie_Nelson_album_cover.jpg

their son Ricky Nelson, the 50's-70's rockNroller
ricky-nelson-cd.jpg

and the grandsons, 90's rockers Gunnar and Matthew Nelson
newDVD.jpg
]

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Ozzie Nelson led the orchestra for Joe Penner's popular radio program in the mid thirties, with Harriet Hilliard the featured vocalist -- and the music featured on these shows could be quite a bit more adventuresome than the cutie-pie novelty songs the band tended to feature on its recordings. One of my all time favorite bizarre radio moments is a 1934 Penner broadcast which features Ozzie's own rendition of "Reefer Man." (Could this be why he was so mellow in the '50s?)

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Nelson's band was pretty good considering they played basically the same arrangement on every tune. They made quite a few ETs that came out on Lp in the 80s. These featured more straight ahead dance music.

I like Nelson's voice, tho it's a bit thin. He certainly didn't sound like Vall?©e the way people used to say.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner