Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

who belongs to a Lodge

ClothesHorse

Familiar Face
Another Brother here. Oklahoma. Like many have said, "you only get out of it what you put in." In FL terms I love old masonic jewelry, Rings, cuff links, etc. I have an old post card of my great grandfather that he had made when he had traveled to the Grand Lodge for a meeting. No Masonic imagry on the card, but knowing where he was and why is always fun.

CH

hiram392

New in Town
Ohio checks in.

Ohio member, here. ;) Ohio has 2nd largest membership in US (between 110,000 & 112,000). Joined in 1985. Master of my Lodge in 89/90/91. Have been Secretary ever since. 150 members in my local Lodge (rural area). Over 500 active lodges in Ohio. FYI, Shriners are also Masons.

Chas

One Too Many
My mum was a member of the Rebekah Lodge, the women's side of the Oddfellow's.

I was a Mason until I demitted after becoming an atheist, and if I wasn't I'd still be a mason. I have nothing but good things to say about my lodge brothers; a stalwart group altogether.

I would be very interested in joining a Grand Orient Lodge if there was one in Vancouver, as they accept atheists and the support of secularism is particularly important to the GoDF. The GoDF also accepts women, though they aren't initiated. There is a GoDF lodge in SF, so hopefully there will be one in Seattle or Vancouver someday soon.

Burton

One of the Regulars
I remember being in South Africa a few years ago and talking to a brother F&AM who I had just met. He was soon to be traveling to the US and althought I wouldnt be home at that time I offered him the keys to my house. I was fine with that. Would you be?

Mav

A-List Customer
Burton said:
I remember being in South Africa a few years ago and talking to a brother F&AM who I had just met. He was soon to be traveling to the US and althought I wouldnt be home at that time I offered him the keys to my house. I was fine with that. Would you be?
Yep.

Mav

A-List Customer
Burton said:
Well my brother you understand what I am saying. Quite a fraternity to be a member especially these days. Anyone interested in joining just needs to ask.
Indeed, Bro.. Freemasonry is often thought of as something of a quaint, somewhat retro gentlemen's club. While that applies to a certain extent, it goes far deeper than that. Truly a brotherhood.

Bill Greene

One of the Regulars
I have a question for Masons:

In my area there are a few Lodges: how does one go about determining which Lodge to petition if you don't really "know" any of the members, or if the Lodge is active, growing/dying, etc?

And if a person becomes a member of a Lodge, can they move to a different Lodge later?

Mav

A-List Customer
Bill Greene said:
I have a question for Masons:

In my area there are a few Lodges: how does one go about determining which Lodge to petition if you don't really "know" any of the members, or if the Lodge is active, growing/dying, etc?

Visit them on a meeting night, pre- meeting. We love fresh meat, and they'll be happy to talk to you. Couldn't hurt to call their secretary first, and his number (or some other contact number) should be posted at the Lodge, somewhere.

And if a person becomes a member of a Lodge, can they move to a different Lodge later?
Yes- it's largely a matter of paperwork.

Hereward

One of the Regulars
Anyone visiting London, let me know, I'd be happy to take anyone to my Lodge who meet in the Headquarters of United Grand Lodge of England.

Adcurium

A-List Customer
Freemasonry in New England

I've been a long-time lurker, but registered recently. I just wanted to chime in b/c Freemasonry has enriched my personal and professional life in countless ways: I'm a member of St. Alban's #6 and Washington #3 here in Rhode Island. I joined a few years ago, at the ripe old age of 35, and I thought I would be one of the younger gentlemen at the temple. Boy was I wrong. We have huge amounts of young people and we read at least 2 or 3 applications for admission each month. One of the greatest things for me is sitting down to dinner before our meetings with my older brothers. I consider myself a lucky fella when I'm offered some wisdom or advice. And it is a huge honor when Brother so-and-so walks up to you and gives you a pair of his masonic cufflinks, or cigar knife, etc. b/c he knows his time on this earth is short and he wants you to have them before he passes b/c you've had as much of an impact on his life as he has had on yours.

deputy tom

New in Town
Freemason...

I'm a Past Master of my Blue Lodge,32nd degree member in Scottish Rite Valley of Pittsburgh and Noble in Syria Temple AAONMS Pittsburgh,PA.I've been a Mason for thirty three years and it is a great organization with many other bodies that do so much for humanity.A true Brotherhood.tom.:)

MartyH

New in Town
I'm an officer, Recording Secretary, in an Odd Fellows lodge in Sweden.

Two or three meetings a year, when initiatory and 3rd degree is given, it's white tie (black vest), othertimes the dress code is dark suit and gray necktie.

Hereward

One of the Regulars
All my family have been Oddfellows for generations but very few members in the UK are initiated or go to meetings nowdays. I was initiated in England when I was much younger but I have forgotten it all now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21