who belongs to a Lodge

Discussion in 'The Observation Bar' started by koopkooper, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Aether

Aether One of the Regulars

Bit of a thread dredge, but I'm a Freemason in London.

I've only been a Mason about 3 years now but I love it. I think it's something to do with the 'old-world' values and a moral code that harks back to an older era that I especially enjoy. And my lodge meet in the Freemasons' Hall in Covent Garden, which is a fantastic Art Deco building. Plus its just a good excuse to get 'suited and booted' and have a nice meal!

TPD166 likes this.
  2. davidg

davidg New in Town

Bravo! I've been in the Craft going on 16 years and I still love it.

TPD166 likes this.
  3. Aether

Good man Bro. David!

4. SurfGent

SurfGent Suspended

I've been a mason since 2002. Join'd Scottish Rite as well since 2002

TPD166 likes this.
  5. LuvMyMan

LuvMyMan I’ll Lock Up.

My Husband had been a Mason for about 40 years. And is a member of the Lions and Rotary.

We both are members of the NRA. (lol)!

TPD166 likes this.
  6. Aether

Great!

It's a wonderful organisation.

I think the values and sense of fraternity really hark back to an earlier era, and as such would appeal to a lot of the members on the FL. In fact, one of the other things that initially piqued my interest in the Craft was seeing vintage regalia and old photos when trawling vintage stores!

Incidentally, if anyone is reading this and is interested in any aspect of Freemasonry, feel free to ask. I'd be happy to answer any queries, and I'm sure the much more experienced Brethren above, would be too.

Nick

7. ChiTownScion

ChiTownScion One Too Many

Master Mason since 1986. Past Master of my mother lodge (Paul Revere #998, AF&AM, Chicago, IL), and currently Junior Warden (and life member) of my current lodge, Libertyville #492, AF&AM. Life member in the Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Chicago, NMJ (32nd degree) as well.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  8. davidg

davidg New in Town

Master Mason since 12/2000 & PM of my mother Lodge Scotia #634. Also Jerusalem-Amity Chapter #8 RAM, and Coeur de Leon Commandery #23 Knight Templar.

9. docneg

docneg One of the Regulars

Just spotted this thread. I was raised in 2007 and am 32 deg. Scottish Rite and am happy to see so many brothers here.

ChiTownScion likes this.
  10. ChiTownScion

Quick update/ addendum: I was just installed (Thursday) as Worshipful Master of my current lodge, my second time in the East in 30 years in the Craft.

11. ChiTownScion

I would estimate that at least 40% of the Masons of my Grand Lodge jurisdiction are of the Roman Catholic faith. That number includes some past Grand Masters as well as current Area and District Deputies. As you know, Alan, Freemasonry excludes no one because of their religious denominational affiliation. We welcome good men of all faiths.

As far as some of the other churches- particularly of the self- described "Bible believing" genre (their obvious implication being that lesser children of the same God do not really believe the Bible)- their objections to lodge membership essentially boil down to two words: dollar diversion. It usually incarnates as some yokel Rev. Billy Bob type, as short on formal theological higher education as he is long of sermonizing wind, who is convinced that ever dollar spent on dues, degrees, or a new apron or jewel is a dollar to which his collection plate is entitled. Glad that I realized very early in life that there are plenty of religious alternatives to that sort of narrow mindedness- long before I even knocked at the door of my mother lodge.

vitanola likes this.
  12. TPD166

TPD166 One Too Many

Reviving a thread - 24 years for me - 20+ in SR, YR, and the Shrine (plus National Sojourners).

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
    M Hatman, ChiTownScion and SurfGent like this.
  13. ChiTownScion

My officer line, 2016-2017. That's me in the topper.

upload_2017-1-14_16-44-57.png

RBH, scotrace and TPD166 like this.
  14. G.W. Masters

G.W. Masters New in Town

I explored the idea of joining the Freemasons once (an acquaintance is a senior member in the Seattle area), but after some consideration, came to the conclusion that it wouldn't be a productive endeavor. Some of my friends are members of other organizations. I am a cigar smoker and spend a lot of time hanging out at a cigar-focused social club called Vertigo Club in South Seattle. That place embodies many of the qualities that I think most men would seek in a social organization. But it does require one be comfortable with breathing smokey air for hours at a time. The great thing about the Vertigo Club is the quality of conversation and the resulting depth of friendship that can be built there.

15. wallypop

wallypop New in Town

All I can say is my Father,Grandfather and Father in law were Masons (32 degree) and very active for many, many years in charitable endeavors. I myself chose the B.P.O Elk's for the last 50 years to pursue the same .Certainly better for a young person to join than another "kid bar" with buffalo wings and wet t shirt contests. (and of course cheap Bud Lite.)

ChiTownScion likes this.
  16. 392hiram

392hiram New in Town

New Holland Lodge No. 392 - Grand Lodge of Ohio - Past Master 89/90/91. Lodge Secretary 1992-Present. District Deputy Grand Master - 2012/13/14. Also, Scottish Rite, York Rite and Allied Masonic Degrees (AMD)

seres and ChiTownScion like this.
  17. Bugguy

Bugguy A-List Customer

Coming at this thread from a slightly different direction, as an ethnic Bohemian a.k.a. Czech growing up in Chicago, our families were active in Sokol. My lodge was Sokol Havlicek-Tyrs. If you're not familiar with one of the larger social organization in Czechoslovakia, think about where all those exceptional Czech Olympic gymnasts come from. For my parents and their immigrant parents, this was as close to home as they could get, particularly during the Soviet occupation (they considered themselves "canceled czechs"). I never attended the Czech language school (preserving the old language), but many of my friends did.

5wzVo.jpg

"Czech Sokol Organization (CSO) is the fourth most numerous civic association in the Czech Republic, whose 180 000 members participate in sports, sporting activities in Divisions of Sokol Versatility and cultural activities, mostly in folk and marionette groups.
    CSO is one of the oldest organizations of this type in the world. The philosophy of CSO is associated with the emancipation struggle of the Czech nation in the 19th Century. The idea of physical education as well as the promotion of moral values was formulated by Miroslav Tyrs, a professor of the Charles University, and by Jindrich Fugner."
    The History of Sokol Since 1862: http://www.czechgallery.com/sokol/

sokol-pcard.jpg

This thread brought back many memories. In fact, I recently cashed out the Czechoslovak Society life insurance policy my father bought for me sixty years ago... $500 was enough to bury you back then.

18. Adcurium

Adcurium A-List Customer

One of our brothers from St. Alban's #6 in Bristol, Rhode Island, is a PM from a lodge in London (He's now what we RHode Islanders call a 'wash-ashore')