Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

who belongs to a Lodge

Aether

One of the Regulars
Bit of a thread dredge, but I'm a Freemason in London.

I've only been a Mason about 3 years now but I love it. I think it's something to do with the 'old-world' values and a moral code that harks back to an older era that I especially enjoy. And my lodge meet in the Freemasons' Hall in Covent Garden, which is a fantastic Art Deco building. Plus its just a good excuse to get 'suited and booted' and have a nice meal!

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
My Husband had been a Mason for about 40 years. And is a member of the Lions and Rotary.

We both are members of the NRA. (lol)!

Aether

One of the Regulars
Great!

It's a wonderful organisation.

I think the values and sense of fraternity really hark back to an earlier era, and as such would appeal to a lot of the members on the FL. In fact, one of the other things that initially piqued my interest in the Craft was seeing vintage regalia and old photos when trawling vintage stores!

Incidentally, if anyone is reading this and is interested in any aspect of Freemasonry, feel free to ask. I'd be happy to answer any queries, and I'm sure the much more experienced Brethren above, would be too.

Nick

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
Master Mason since 1986. Past Master of my mother lodge (Paul Revere #998, AF&AM, Chicago, IL), and currently Junior Warden (and life member) of my current lodge, Libertyville #492, AF&AM. Life member in the Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Chicago, NMJ (32nd degree) as well.

Last edited:

davidg

New in Town
Master Mason since 12/2000 & PM of my mother Lodge Scotia #634. Also Jerusalem-Amity Chapter #8 RAM, and Coeur de Leon Commandery #23 Knight Templar.

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
Probably, I suspect, from people (or birds) who are concerned with the correctness of facts.

Craft Freemasons do not take oaths - they take obligations, which contain reference to the gruesome oaths that were taken by operative masons in former ages, making it clear that such oaths are no longer necessary.

No mason 'swears to protect fellow members from criminal arrest and prosecution' - the reverse in fact. All Masonic constitutions are framed within the law of whatever country they inhabit and masons commit themselves on initiation to obey the law of their land. Anyone who assists a criminal (whether a Mason or not) or condones a crime is breaking his (or her) obligation.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'pagan symbols'. The furniture of a lodge includes a Bible, the tools that masons use (many of which can be bought from hardware shops) and features that represent the classical orders of architecture. The illustrations in a lodge and the lectures given refer to biblical passages (e.g. Jacob's ladder, Jeptha and the Ephraimites, Solomon's temple) and to the contemplation of death.

Alan

I would estimate that at least 40% of the Masons of my Grand Lodge jurisdiction are of the Roman Catholic faith. That number includes some past Grand Masters as well as current Area and District Deputies. As you know, Alan, Freemasonry excludes no one because of their religious denominational affiliation. We welcome good men of all faiths.

As far as some of the other churches- particularly of the self- described "Bible believing" genre (their obvious implication being that lesser children of the same God do not really believe the Bible)- their objections to lodge membership essentially boil down to two words: dollar diversion. It usually incarnates as some yokel Rev. Billy Bob type, as short on formal theological higher education as he is long of sermonizing wind, who is convinced that ever dollar spent on dues, degrees, or a new apron or jewel is a dollar to which his collection plate is entitled. Glad that I realized very early in life that there are plenty of religious alternatives to that sort of narrow mindedness- long before I even knocked at the door of my mother lodge.

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
My officer line, 2016-2017. That's me in the topper.

upload_2017-1-14_16-44-57.png

G.W. Masters

New in Town
I explored the idea of joining the Freemasons once (an acquaintance is a senior member in the Seattle area), but after some consideration, came to the conclusion that it wouldn't be a productive endeavor. Some of my friends are members of other organizations. I am a cigar smoker and spend a lot of time hanging out at a cigar-focused social club called Vertigo Club in South Seattle. That place embodies many of the qualities that I think most men would seek in a social organization. But it does require one be comfortable with breathing smokey air for hours at a time. The great thing about the Vertigo Club is the quality of conversation and the resulting depth of friendship that can be built there.

wallypop

New in Town
All I can say is my Father,Grandfather and Father in law were Masons (32 degree) and very active for many, many years in charitable endeavors. I myself chose the B.P.O Elk's for the last 50 years to pursue the same .Certainly better for a young person to join than another "kid bar" with buffalo wings and wet t shirt contests. (and of course cheap Bud Lite.)

392hiram

New in Town
New Holland Lodge No. 392 - Grand Lodge of Ohio - Past Master 89/90/91. Lodge Secretary 1992-Present. District Deputy Grand Master - 2012/13/14. Also, Scottish Rite, York Rite and Allied Masonic Degrees (AMD)

Bugguy

Practically Family
Coming at this thread from a slightly different direction, as an ethnic Bohemian a.k.a. Czech growing up in Chicago, our families were active in Sokol. My lodge was Sokol Havlicek-Tyrs. If you're not familiar with one of the larger social organization in Czechoslovakia, think about where all those exceptional Czech Olympic gymnasts come from. For my parents and their immigrant parents, this was as close to home as they could get, particularly during the Soviet occupation (they considered themselves "canceled czechs"). I never attended the Czech language school (preserving the old language), but many of my friends did.

5wzVo.jpg

"Czech Sokol Organization (CSO) is the fourth most numerous civic association in the Czech Republic, whose 180 000 members participate in sports, sporting activities in Divisions of Sokol Versatility and cultural activities, mostly in folk and marionette groups.
CSO is one of the oldest organizations of this type in the world. The philosophy of CSO is associated with the emancipation struggle of the Czech nation in the 19th Century. The idea of physical education as well as the promotion of moral values was formulated by Miroslav Tyrs, a professor of the Charles University, and by Jindrich Fugner."
The History of Sokol Since 1862: http://www.czechgallery.com/sokol/

sokol-pcard.jpg

This thread brought back many memories. In fact, I recently cashed out the Czechoslovak Society life insurance policy my father bought for me sixty years ago... $500 was enough to bury you back then.

Adcurium

A-List Customer
Bit of a thread dredge, but I'm a Freemason in London.

I've only been a Mason about 3 years now but I love it. I think it's something to do with the 'old-world' values and a moral code that harks back to an older era that I especially enjoy. And my lodge meet in the Freemasons' Hall in Covent Garden, which is a fantastic Art Deco building. Plus its just a good excuse to get 'suited and booted' and have a nice meal!

One of our brothers from St. Alban's #6 in Bristol, Rhode Island, is a PM from a lodge in London (He's now what we RHode Islanders call a 'wash-ashore')

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider