Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

who belongs to a Lodge

Adcurium

A-List Customer
Hereward said:
Anyone visiting London, let me know, I'd be happy to take anyone to my Lodge who meet in the Headquarters of United Grand Lodge of England.

Hereward, I would love to take you up on that offer! I don't have any immediate plans to cross the pond but the next time I do, I would love to attend a lodge meeting.

I've done a lot of international traveling and my regret is that I never made it to any other temples.

Hereward

One of the Regulars
Just let me know but bear in mind that Lodges in London normally only meet four times a year. However, there are 19 Lodgerooms in Grand Lodge and so a meeting is always possible. Plus most hotels here hold meetings and there are other large Masonic Centres too.

Bill Greene

One of the Regulars
New Mason

Completed my First Degree Initiation two Tuesdays ago...and have now met with my coach a couple of times to learn the requisite work.

I have to say that, so far, this has been a very, very good decision. I am thoroughly enjoying it. :D

Mav

A-List Customer
Bill Greene said:
Completed my First Degree Initiation two Tuesdays ago...and have now met with my coach a couple of times to learn the requisite work.

I have to say that, so far, this has been a very, very good decision. I am thoroughly enjoying it. :D

Glad to hear it, Bro..

Adcurium

A-List Customer
Bill Greene said:

Great to hear! The degree work is soo enjoyable. Take the time to soak it in and enjoy every minute of it.

57plymouth

One of the Regulars
New to the site, so I thought I'd chime in on this thread...

I was raised as a Master Mason 11 years ago today.
Master of Eau Claire Lodge in 2003
Current Senior Warden of Eau Claire Lodge
Dual Member Blythewood Lodge
Member of Columbia York Rite Bodies
32 deg. KCCH Scottish Rite Mason
Charter Venerable Master Columbia Valley Knights of St. Andrew
Assistant Class Instructor for Columbia Scottish Rite Valley
Member of the South Carolina Masonic Research Society
Member of Dentsville Order of the Eastern Star
Past Advisory Board member Dentsville Chapter International Order of the Rainbow for Girls
Master of the Grand Cross of Color International Order of the Rainbow for Girls

The Sky Ranger

New in Town
Just saw this thread. That's nice!
Mason, too. Raised 1985.

forgetmenot.gif

babs

A-List Customer
Good evening Brethren.. Glad to see this thread going.
And a big welcome to the new Brothers who've made their first knocks at the door.

I'm Chaplain this year and now a Class-B Certified Instructor (A in NC is full fledge Certified Lecturer). I'm two lectures away but don't see that happening between now and August unless I really got my ducks in a row.

Conferring my first 1st degree as Master of the Lodge brought me to this forum actually and my interest in hats, as necessity found me on the web learning. Considering my new Campdraft for the next 3rd Degree in a week or so.

Mav

A-List Customer
babs said:
Considering my new Campdraft for the next 3rd Degree in a week or so.
That'd be sweet. CA rules dictate a tophat, which is OK as my Lodge Works in white tie, but I always thought a black fedora on the WM looks great.

davidg

New in Town
I've been an active Freemason for a bit over 10 years.
Scotia Lodge #634 F&AM
Jerusalem Amity Chapter #8 RAM
Coeur de Lion Commandery #23 KT

In general from my research most guys who have joined have done so between the ages of 30 and 45, and while some stay in for decades, some don't. We've got some guys in the Lodge who are pushing 80, and some of the newer guys are in their 20's, it just depends on whether you have an interest and TIME to attend meetings. Typically, guys with younger families don't have much of that.

My interest in things retro got started when I was collecting fountain pens, but then proceeded when I became Master of my Lodge and had to get a hat.

Last edited:

davidg

New in Town
Most Lodges tend to push officers along and let them skip chairs. Personally, I think that's a big mistake. You'll get a lot more out of it, if you sit in each chair.

I agree 110%!!! The more you do in it, the more you learn and the more fun you have!

davidg

New in Town
I am currently an officer in my lodge, was wondering what you guys do for your white gloves. Our lodge provides about 100 years worth of leftover mismatched gloves. I have a few sets of nylon gloves but I wanted something a little more period style. Would white kid or lambskin be too much? Cost is not an issue but thinking in terms of not wanting to be "that guy".
Thanks
Doc

In my Lodge the only time we do white gloves is for funerals. I have my own pair, but we hardly use them. If your Lodge is anything like mine I think the Nylon will be fine, the lambskin or kid would be a bit too "twee". and if you're talking "period" and Masonry, exactly what era are we talking about? ;-)

Flipped Lid

One of the Regulars
It's great to see so many brethren on this forum. I belong to three lodges and have served as Worshipful Master of two of them. I'm very active in a number of other Masonic groups, among them Scottish Rite, York Rite, and AMD. I was raised eleven-plus years ago and it was the greatest thing that ever happened to me.

One of the reasons I began lurking on this forum is because I was led here by another brother. Many of us see Freemasonry not only as a fraternal organization that builds character and strengthens our personal relationships, but also as a gentleman's organization that seeks to rise above mediocrity in our dress, our manners, and our conduct in general. Freemasonry is a thinking man's society in which the study of history, symbolism, philosophy, and the seven liberal arts all play an important role. The beauty of the organization is that there are so many paths to enjoyment and enlightenment within the fraternity. You can simply enjoy the fraternal bonds or you can make it a lifelong search for knowledge.

adouglasmhor

Familiar Face
18? :eek:

I also work with the, "men," of my college fraternity and they are the reason that I am glad that we still have the 21 y/o requirement in the Lodge. Now there are exceptions, but by in large an 18 y/o has no business in Lodge IMHO.

Interestingly, a dapper gent on here mentioned he that he is an Odd-Fellow. Many college fraternities stole there ritual from the Masons. Mine stole most of the fraternal ritual from the Odd-Fellows.

In Alabama where I was raised, you must be examined on the 1st and 2nd degree. In GA you must stand examination on all 3. Puts the bite on me to have to learn the 3rd degree as a member of the upper line. :p

I was accepted into the lodge at 18,I am a Lewis though.

adouglasmhor

Familiar Face
I will discuss my club and no it is not the Freemasons. It is "The Sons Of The Desert". No local chapter near here, but I support the club anyway. Not many places I can go in a wheelchair anyhoo. A pair of our past members you may know. I will post the link if I see any interest in joining.
boyssons.jpg

I was in Amsterdam in the mid 80s and sitting outside a bar when hundreds of members of the sons of the Desert ((laurel and Hardy Club)dressed as Stan and Ollie came out of a theatre fire exit across the road, after about 5 minutes I turned to my mate and said did you see that? Luckily he had - I hadn't flipped my lid.

Last edited:

caul

New in Town
Hello!

I belong to Palmyra #23, in Baldwin City KS. I am currently a Fellowcraft but hopefully I will raised sometime between now and the end of the year!

Brett

James71

A-List Customer
Like a lot of guys here I'm from a Masonic family, and did the run through all of the offices except outer guard and chaplain. I was 27 when I took the WMs chair.

I was unfortunately the last master of my lodge (Royal Prince). Given dwindling numbers in our lodge, and many others in the area, we amalgamated 4 local lodges into a new one. I moved away soon after, as did my father. My grandfather is still a member.

I will always have great memories of being in the chair with my dad as JW and my grandfather as chaplain.

James71

A-List Customer
Oh, and I don't know about the alcohol free thing you have going on over there. I've never seen a dry south, but also never seen a drunk mason in the south. Although some of the Scottish blokes get a few whiskies in them and get all emotional at Robbie Burns nights.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner